Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No, facebook, I do NOT want to out myself!!

Angry No, facebook, I do NOT want to out myself!!

Ok, so has anyone experienced this? In the past, they sort of just 'encouraged' people to do it, but Facebook is now demanding I confirm my own account with a phone number or government issued ID, when OBVIOUSLY I have a separate 'real' account for the side the rest of world knows about.

I take it I have no choice but to dump my account and make a new one? This is incredibly annoying!:

Attached Images Attached Images

Actually, yes this has happened and it didn't out me at all. All that happens is they send a message to your cell phone with a verification code which you copy down and then use to verify your identity. It happened to me. I have a cell phone that nobody else uses, I got the message, entered the code and then deleted the text message from my cellphone. Not that it mattered anyway, I could always have claimed that it was to verify my regular FaceBook account.

It was not problem. Hannah
    Last edited by HannahF6; 03-30-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Hasn't happened to me....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

welcome to the world of free stuff..if you don't want to do it, then cancel it.

i don't know for sure, but i do believe all they do is text you a message...i'm not sure if you can open multiple accounts to the same number though..

Duality sometimes hurts.. PetiteDuality's Avatar
    I recently read that they discovered that a high percentage of facebook's profiles don't belong to real people or are duplicated. For example, somebody has one professional profile and another for personal use. This has affected facebook's value in the stock market. I guess this is the reason they are doing this move.

Petite wrote "I recently read that they discovered that a high percentage of facebook's profiles don't belong to real people", I guess that could be the reason. In any case, it is happening, has happened to me, and it really wasn't a problem. I just received the code on my cell phone, entered it, and then they knew I was a real person.

Hannah

Yes, they probably have a very simple algorithm installed which will match up your TG profile with your regular one. Then it's off to some offshore country for verification and once that's done, you'll be starring in the annual Facebook Christmas party slide show!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I used to be on the cutting edge of technology but today I don't even have a cell phone so I just skip that part.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

We are fast moving past the age of anonymity, where all we do is under some kind of surveillance. Let the lawsuits begin!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Yes, many employers are scanning for their applicant's facebook and other social accounts...
    Can't wait until one asks me. i don't facebook, and other stuff i do is my own business. If they have any problem with it, I'll probably rip my resume out of their hands, and bill them for time wasted at $60 an hour.

What the hell ever happened to being able to conduct a reasonable interview? All these current kids in HR positions are quasi-competent idiots, no wonder our country's industries cannot get their heads out of their <insert favorite orifice here>.

I agree with your view of why this is happening- very astute. and very much the reason I lay back from stuff like this. Now, everybody's social network (and live) are being driven and steered by stock market value. Sorry, my life, as pathetic as it may be, is worth more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteDuality View Post
    I recently read that they discovered that a high percentage of facebook's profiles don't belong to real people or are duplicated. For example, somebody has one professional profile and another for personal use. This has affected facebook's value in the stock market. I guess this is the reason they are doing this move.

Haven't heard of that before. Makes me leery of setting up my own account. I hate giving details to some "entity".
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Platinum Member
    I have no interest sharing my personal life as a revenue stream for Mark Zuckerberg. I just hope Jeff Bezos at Amazon uses my shopping information discretely!

It isn't too expensive to buy a cheap throw away phone (pay cash) and buy minutes with a pay as you go card (pay cash), then register it if required through an anonymous e-mail account (and if you're really concerned do this away from your own ISP). This way you have a pretty improved chance of staying anonymous.

If I got this message, I think I'd abandon the account.

The primary purpose of facebook is to collect data, make it into something valuable to advertisers, then sell it. So if I give them a phone number to verify my 'Cristi' account all they have to do is combine that profile with the name on the cell phone account, say 'John Smith', then provide all that information to anybody who wants to buy it.

This is not a 'conspiracy theory'. The entire business plan of Facebook is based upon collecting as much info as possible and selling it to the highest bidder. If they CAN match your account to a 'real' name, address, phone number there is no doubt at all that that information is now for sale.

My concern right now is that if I get that security check message, can I still get in at least once to delete posts/photos etc, or am I instantly locked out until I verify?
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

I don't remember that step when I set up my facebook account a couple years ago. Of course, it wouldn't have been a big deal because I don't have a female facebook profile. I don't want to take the risk of having it linked back to the "male" me, the one who has to have a job and such.

I don't have an account with facebook, twitter, or any other 'social media' business. I see no need to - I am way past the brain-dead AOL stage of the 'net.

Gold Member
    I have an account on face book, but not twitter or any thing else.
    The whole world can see what you are saying. I like to keep things
    under wraps myself
    Rader

What I do for those types of verifications is to use a Google Voice account for the text message. That way the number doesn't match up with my real phone number. It can always be changed later, so it's more-or-less anonymous.

Judy, but isn't a google voice account attached to a credit card? I *truly* like keeping my closet like fort knox!

Actually if you google it you will see many references to it being a scam.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aspiring Member
    There are also many google references to this being a facebook policy. A site called "DSL service providers" lists 10 reasons for this policy which can be found at:

http://www.dslserviceproviders.org/b...your-identity/

I know of a number of people who for various reasons have more than one facebook account. It may be that they wish to keep their personal life separate from their professional life, or their interest in certain hobbies separate from family, work or other connections. In some cases, they are heavily involved in gaming apps, which are not shared by many of their other contacts. Their primary reason for keeping various aspects of their life exclusive is for streamlining their pages, avoiding clutter, and personal privacy.

Crossdressers have a very valid reason for wishing that aspect of their lives to be private, and if facebook is unwilling to accept this fact, then they should be avoided by this community. It is their right to have such a policy, likely encouraged by Government watchdogs, and it is our right to tell them what they can do with their policy.

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica27; 03-31-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
    If I got this message, I think I'd abandon the account.

The primary purpose of facebook is to collect data, make it into something valuable to advertisers, then sell it. So if I give them a phone number to verify my 'Cristi' account all they have to do is combine that profile with the name on the cell phone account, say 'John Smith', then provide all that information to anybody who wants to buy it.

This is not a 'conspiracy theory'. The entire business plan of Facebook is based upon collecting as much info as possible and selling it to the highest bidder. If they CAN match your account to a 'real' name, address, phone number there is no doubt at all that that information is now for sale.

My concern right now is that if I get that security check message, can I still get in at least once to delete posts/photos etc, or am I instantly locked out until I verify?
    I agree. All they do is collect data to sell to whomever for whatever reasons.. I have never made one for my femme side and don't plan to because of all the data mining they do. Even my real account, has a fake name. I'm not for sale
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

8rys, going on walkabout
    If you are truly worried get a prepaid phone and set up a google voice account. I have been ignoring that message for months.

Banned Read only
    I have no time for social media accounts. My computer time is spent here and bidding on slips. bra, panties and dresses on eBay.

that doesn't look like the same facebook message i got. the message i got asked if i wanted to provide a phone number in case i couldn't access my account so they could send a new password to my phone as an optional way to log back in. but that was just an option and the message allowed me to not opt for that option. so i selected not to provide it and continued facebooking without giving any personal info. my email address dedicated to mary is the only info they have that i know about