Thread: The Doctors

Silver Member

The Doctors

While I was switching channels this week I saw part of a segment on the Doctors (at least I think it was).

One of the things they were showing were brain images of a straight male, a gay male and a female. They were showing that the gay male had almost the exact same brain image as the female and far different than the straight male.

It was over, but the 15 second comment was interesting. Then they changed subjects. I've viewed similar studies over they years. Basically I think they were making the case that gays have different wiring. I would susspect that CDs have similar results if studdied.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I would be interested to see the science behind this. I am aware that studies have shown trans folk to have a brain that resembles their gender rather than their natal sex, but had not heard of the comparison between the brain of a gay male and a hetero female.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Silver Member
    Recent theories hold that in the initial stages, all human embryos are morphologically female, including brain structures. Genetic boys develop male characteristics under the influence of the interaction between maternal hormones and the XY chromosome. In the absence of the correct hormone balance, the body and brain remain female-like to a greater or lesser degree. This can manifest itself in many different ways, such as penis or testicular abnormalities, as in intersexed children. If only brain configuration is affected, the result could be same sex attraction (ie gay), transgenderism or CDing. That's the theory and has yet to be conclusively proved or disproved.

I believe, from my own experience and feelings, that being CD is just a less pronounced version of TG. If someone undergoing SRS is a 10 on the gender dysphoria scale, a CD like myself might be only a 6 or 7, as in "I'd rather have been born female, but the feelings are not so strong or constant that I can't live with my male body." So being gay, TG or CD appear to be variations of the same theme. Which is why I'm disappointed when Gays shun us CDers when we should respect our similarities.

I agree with Suzanne that we should be looking at things on a continuum, a scale, rather than one distinct "nature" or another. To say that one's brain image is "almost the same as" someone else's simply means, I think, that we are not really identical, that there are variations along a scale, and we should not be trying to categorize one another. To me the research should be seen as supporting differences, to lead us to accept them.

Michaella

What you actually saw was the scan of one purportedly homosexual male and one purportedly heterosexual woman. This is what is known as anecdotal evidence, cannot be trusted and proves nothing, although it is an example of an anomaly.
    The only way to prove anything by this type of evidence is a double-blind survey involving several thousand people of all ages, sizes, races etc.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Aspiring Member
    I caught that too, the wife is always watching The Doctors (or as I call it "Hypochondriacs R' Us") when I walk in from work. The hetero-male scan showed a single 'hotspot', where as the female showed 4 hotspots, some in each hemisphere. The homosexual male had, if I remember correctly, 3 hotspots; one identical to the hetero-male and the other 2 were almost in the same spot as the female.

I have to agree though with Donnalee, the Doctors sometimes only provide information based on limited sampling. They are not as bad as Dr, OZ, his show is a real joke sometimes with the way he will omit certain things to provide the results he wants. JMO.

Aspiring Member

Use Caution

Not too long ago a research team used FMRI to show that viewing erotic images stimulated activity in certain brain areas. Only the subject was a DEAD SALMON. The purpose of the test was to highlight the difficulty of interpreting complex test results. In addition; all medical tests are points on a distribution. Giving a single number without also giving the standard deviation or variance is nearly useless.

Besides this, television is entertainment almost all of the time. TV and hard science are a nearly orthogonal set.

Just my $0.02
    Sandra1746

Quote Originally Posted by lingerieLiz View Post
    Basically I think they were making the case that gays have different wiring. I would susspect that CDs have similar results if studdied.
    Interesting thought, but I bet the results of a blind study would be all over the map. Even among CD's who totally embrace the thought of being female in some capacity (in my case it's ONLY while dressed, which is only a couple times a year), the posts here would indicate it runs the gamut from those who wish they'd been born female and live full time as one, to those who switch it on and off to various degrees. Speaking purely for myself, my interactions/reactions to the world at large are stereotypically male (shopping?..just kill me now), and I suspect such a test would reflect this. And yet, a couple times a year Julie strikes, and I do an outing and totally step into her persona for a little while. Complicated creatures, us humans.
    Such data would be interesting though!

BTW, Sandra 1746..dead salmon? Too good!
    Last edited by Julie Martin; 04-05-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Platinum Member
    The one point I'd offer is that you need to be careful about using the term "resembles". This isn't so much a physcial resemblance as a reflection of the kind of imagery used to map brain function. Therein, a reflection of the way a brain is "wired" to use that term loosely. It may well be that hormonal or genetic factors influence brain development in a manner that results in patterns of activity that are different in some respects (not all by any means) for men, women, straight, gay, and transgender. (not suggesting that the preceding categories are mutually exclusive).

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
    being gay, TG or CD appear to be variations of the same theme. Which is why I'm disappointed when Gays shun us CDers when we should respect our similarities.
    I wouldn't conflate gender and sexuality. This is the sort of stereotyping that the haters love to indulge in "You cross-dress, you must be gay".

Someone can be gay without being trans-anything. Another person can be bi without being trans-anything. Numerous TS are hetero. I am lesbian, but my preferences for a partner have little to do with my gender.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    The one point I'd offer is that you need to be careful about using the term "resembles". This isn't so much a physcial resemblance as a reflection of the kind of imagery used to map brain function.
    The study to which I alluded and that I am trying desperately to recall talked about physical resemblance as the studies were done post mortem.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 04-05-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Living in CD Heaven Helen Grandeis's Avatar
    During gestation there is a wave of testosterone that males experience that activates their male characteristic and kills off 1/3 of their brain cells.
    Best Wishes for Personal Peace & Happiness
    -
    Helen Grandeis