Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smooth, Shaved Legs and an Unexpected Family Visit

Smooth, Shaved Legs and an Unexpected Family Visit

A few weeks ago, I wrote about my intent to continue shaving my legs through the spring and summer. This will be a first for me, and I am excited, if not also just a little bit nervous, about the prospect. Although it is still early in the season, I have remained true to my word thus far, and have diligently maintained smooth and hair free legs.

This spring, however, has been unseasonably warm, if not downright hot at times. As such, the opportunity to wear shorts has presented itself more often than not. Although I was hopeful that I would be able to gradually work myself back into society with feminized legs, I have not shied away from the moment. I have worn shorts whenever possible, and whenever the opportunity has presented itself. In this, despite how insignificant it may ultimately be, I am determined to make a stand. I like the way my legs look and feel after I shave. I enjoy the femininity that my legs mirror and portray. I am proud of my legs, and shall display them for all the world to see, if the world so desires to take notice.

This is not to say, though, that I do not occasionally worry about what others may think or say. When I first began shaving during shorts weather last September, a couple of friends of mine did call me on the carpet and asked about my legs. I believe I handled the situation well, I responded to the inquiries, and life miraculously (but somehow predictably) continued on.

Regardless of my change in attitude over maintaining hair free legs, I must admit, though, that the thought of exhibiting my bare legs around my parents has, until just recently, scared the crap of me. I know, I know, I know - I am 42 years old, I am a grown adult, they are my legs, and I should be able to do with them as I please. If someone does not approve, that is not my problem, it is their problem. But my parents are my parents. My father, in particular, did his damnedest to raise me as a masculine manly man. Obviously, his attempts did not work out so well, but I digress . . . .

Still, the thought of presenting my denuded legs around my parents has caused me no small amount of discomfort, and is not something I have been looking forward to.

But the thing about hair removal is it is a commitment. Once it is done, it is done. It is not like you can grow the hair back in overnight. It just doesn't work that way. Committed is as committed does. And this is where I quite unexpectedly found myself last week - committed beyond the point of no return.

With but a day's notice, I found myself down south with my parents, sisters, uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews, and cousins for several days. Family members came from all over, some of whom I had not seen or visited with in many years. Lo and behold, though, the temperatures were in the mid to high 80s throughout the entirety of my stay. Except when inappropriate, I wore shorts the entire time.

Admittedly, it was not always easy to do so. I had moments where I almost shied away, gave in, and wore pants. But I didn't give in. Instead, I persevered, and all but welcomed a comment or two be thrown my way about my legs. No comments were forthcoming, though. If anyone noticed, nobody said a word. At least not to me. Even moreso, if some did take note, I was not treated any differently than I otherwise would have been. In this, I was not judged. I was not ridiculed. I was not scorned. I was not made fun of. I was not cast aside. Instead, I was just another member of a kind, loving, and supportive family. Just another member of my family. And just another family member that just so happens to have some amazingly hot, long, good looking legs, but I digress yet again . . . .

Of course, being family, loving one another, and simply supporting each other are some of the most basic and important characteristics of a family. In the face of what it ultimately means to be family, worrying about whether a cousin, parent, uncle, aunt, or sibling notices whether one's legs are nice, smooth, and feminine, in the grand scheme of things, is not really an insurmountable or consequential concern at all. At least, having overcome my discomfort and worry around my family about my legs, this is the lesson I have taken from this rather small yet important self-victory . . . .

And the elephant in your room just got a little happier. Be sure to keep her well fed.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Platinum Member
    Congratulations on another step out of the shadow and another lesson learned. Pretty soon you'll be completely at ease displaying those long, smooth, feminine legs. Your family is the biggest test. No one else really matters or cares.

Silver Member
    I've never particularly liked wearing shorts, which probably harks back to the little boy's blue shorts suit I was forced to wear against my will, pre-school. Having legs worthy of a troll hasn't helped, either.

Maybe this year, though. I've been epilating regularly and will not go back. That plus weight loss makes the thought palatable. I wonder if I would get a reaction.

'Course there are shorts and there are shorts. Humongous baggy long cargo shorts and little teeny flimsy runners shorts. Not being a shorts wearer, I wouldn't know where to begin without winding up looking like a complete dork.

Hopefully the LACK of reaction you got makes your wife feel better about it too. You never know what people will accept or even notice until you get there.

Great story and well written!

Lea
    Lea

I made the commitment to laser hair removal on everything from my face down. The legs part isn't what scared me as bad as the no hairy underarms. I thought for sure that someone would notice that, or at least my arms being devoid of hair since I was so hairy before, but so far no one has noticed, or at least said anything.

I think that if anyone does notice that it'll be a woman. Guys really don't pay much attention to that kind of thing, or don't seem to. It is going to be a bit odd the next time that I get a girlfriend though. The one that I was dating at the time, and we had a serious relationship, was very supportive of me dressing up and going out. She actually enjoyed it! I'll be hard pressed to find a woman that enjoys that again, but I'm trying.

But back to the original post, congratulations on your commitment, it's a lot nicer, isn't it?!
    If I had any idea that therapy, hair removal, hair transplants, doctors and medications were so expensive I would have planned to be rich first.

Others will think nothing of it. My legs are always shaved and I have never had a negative comment about it. In fact, over 4 years I have had only one person even ask. I simply said I like the look and feel and he supprised me by saying he would also like it.

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    I went through the same thing last month. I began shaving my legs last Fall, and decided that they fealt and looked too good to let the hair grow back...I just plain enjoy the look and feel of them smooth and hairless.
    I went on a Caribbean trip with a group I travel with last month, and a few of them are real ball-busters. I was apprehensive about keeping my legs shaved, but decided to go for it. Well, nobody said one word about my legs! I'm not sure if they didn't notice, or if they did notice, but chose to leave it alone. I actually noticed that one of the other guys in the group also had his legs shaved. Either way, I now realize that nobody really cares if my legs are shaved, so I may as well keep them the way I like them, smooth and sexy!
    I'm glad to see that you got the same reaction I did...none! Enjoy those silky, sexy legs!
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

This just out, invented, patented, and marketed by moi. Leg toupes!!! For a small fee and horrendous shipping fees, we will send you a toupe just for your hair style, custom made. We use genuine hair clippings from barber shops and the finest hair solons...oh, well. Glad it all worked out.

Anne, I loved reading this as I am in a similar boat. I usually start shaving in November and stop around New Year's, but this year I have decided to throw caution to the wind and start shaving again. I have also started shaving my chest. A little bit of eyebrow shaping is next.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel much the same way as you described and while a bit nervous about people noticing (some, not all), I have said "to hell with it". I am going to do what I like and if anyone does ask, I know they probably won't care enough for it to be a big deal. Your OP helps to confirm this for me so thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura912 View Post
    This just out, invented, patented, and marketed by moi. Leg toupes!!! For a small fee and horrendous shipping fees, we will send you a toupe just for your hair style, custom made. We use genuine hair clippings from barber shops and the finest hair solons...oh, well. Glad it all worked out.
    Lol @..leg toupes!

@ Anne good for you! I can't tell you the number of guys of all ages I see with shaved legs. It's quite common and they obviously don't care.

How about we create and market nude color hairy pantyhose for those special outings..lol.

I'm wishing to be her SANDRA MICHELLE's Avatar
    Good for you Anne, I have been shaving my legs now for three years and only a couple times have anyone made any mention of it. The next step is painted toenails, can you get away with that??? LOL!!!! I really don't know why GG's get to wear all the nice clothes and makeup and "men" have to wear boring clothes and no makeup, how is that fair????
    I want to be this girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2345 View Post
    Still, the thought of presenting my denuded legs around my parents has caused me no small amount of discomfort, and is not something I have been looking forward to.
    Just remember....Pressure is something self-imposed. No one else can pressure you.
    We all have that "what did I do, what will I say" conflict the first time we present our smooth legs/arms to the public and especially to family. But what you have discovered is that all the worry was needless. People don't really care about such things as there are too many meaningful worries in life to keep us all occupied.

Welcome to the smooth club...hope your stay is long, healthy and happy.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

i have had smooth hairless leg most of my life when ever someone ask about them i just say i was born that way and all of us are i have not seen a hairy leg baby yet
    hugs
    Ronda

This summer I'm gonna try to shave my legs for the whole season and I don't care what any body says! I'll just tell'em I dont want deer ticks or something. or maybe I was born without hair on my legs.

The fact is, even if someone notices they are very unlikely to say anything. Could you imagine your friend saying "Hey Bill, how about another beer, and by the way, nice smooth legs you have there!" Nope, not gonna happen in Guy World. The thought might sit in their brain for a few moments until it is pushed out by something more pressing. The next time they see your legs it will be the norm and will be totally ignored. All those plans for alibis and snappy retorts go down the tube!

I think the only way it could be a problem is if you go back and forth. Keep your legs smooth and you'll have no issues.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Way to go Anne! The first time I shaved, I shaved everything, then as I was entering our spa,my wife suddenly noticed, "you shaved your legs", "hey you shaved your...you look like a girl!" I replied "you think so? I love the felling of being smooth. It's no wonder why girls shave!" Anyhow enjoy

Love your story as always Anne! It's great to take a stand in being yourself! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I usually keep my legs shaved. Who says that men are supposed to have hairy legs?

I've been shaving everything below my waist for awhile. However, I don't wear shorts or open toed shoes either.... I even keep my chest hair and armpit hair trimmed back lately...This summer I plan on wearing shorts anyway and getting some sun on my legs. Not sure how this is going to work out as I have family that will pop in just "out of the blue" quite regularly. My Momma knows that I had leg hair at one time....

Suzanne

omg baby u are so pretty just show them ur pictures and tell them why... I got caught up finally with the eyeliner showed everyone i worked with my pictures cause ya know of course they was askin why my nails was done and i was wearin eyeliner mascara ... but in the end most people either one accept ya as you are, two dont care either way, three just kinda ignore ya, our four have more fun with it than you do... but baby like i said u are such a pretty girl and pretty girls need shaved legs if they dont understand that then blah too em
    My Life Is Your Fantasy,

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Good for you Anne. i epilate arms. legs, and chest, and shave all others, and will never go back. I have never work shorts, but am going to start this season, just cause i can, Just need to get some tan on them. Your family is your rock, and they only want you to be around them, your appearance is a distant finisher. Your self victory is to be celebrated, and the joy you have taken from it shared by all. thanks for the sharing.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Yeah, look around, everyone shaves their legs. We're just waiting for you to join in. I've had my legs and everything else from the nostrils down shaved for years. It feels great and no one cares, including me. Just do it!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Anne, I'm in the same position as you are. I always shaved my legs and chest during the winter, feeling "safe" all covered up. This spring I'm not stopping. We'll both find out what happens together, lol.
    May everyone you love-love you
    Kimberly Ann
    www.flickr.com/photos/kimmie487

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Could you imagine your friend saying "Hey Bill, how about another beer, and by the way, nice smooth legs you have there!"
    Honestly, I'm shocked that hasn't happened yet.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Gold Member
    It is a weeding out process. Most people (outside of us) aren't checking out every little thing about other people's bodies. And then with those that do, it is like Eryn says, the few remaining aren't going to say anything so they don't seem rude.

You can watch all the commercials these days where a guy doesn't have a shirt one (like shaving commercials). Ever see chest or arm hair on them? It isn't as uncommon as we worry, but that doesn't mean there aren't people that find it unusual. But taking that back to my first point, if they aren't noticing that times are changing, they probably aren't noticing that you are. My brother-in-law fits that bill. Changed many things right under his nose while being around him 3-6 nights a week. Never a comment.

I am still pondering the word "denuded".....