Thread: Languages, personality and CDing

HW change required Andie Elisabeth's Avatar

Languages, personality and CDing

Hi,
    I am a little bit curious. For those who are bilingual (can speak 2 or more languages [not one native and other below or at intermediate level]): Do you see personality changes when dressed while fuctioning in lang 1 and lang 2? And similar while undressed? Or is it just me?
    "It'll be just like old times, except...different" -- Ezri Dax

I speak 3 languages and I do not see any difference when out dressed and interfacing with other people, and I speak those languages whenever, dressed as a man or woman, I find someone else who does too, mostly native speakers. I am still me. Any difference, which I believe for me is minimal, is from the change of presentation versus the languages.

Platinum Member
    i only speak two languages..English and Norwegian. I don't knowingly speak differently in terms of gender...perhaps the people I speak might disagree.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I also only speak 2 languages - French and English. I am just as much myself in English as in French. Incidentally, it has been interesting to discuss my GID with a French-speaking acquaintance without knowing the correct medical terms in that language.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Ich spreche deutch, io parlo italiano, yo hablo espanol,Eu falo portugues, ja mówię po polsku, я говорю по- русски

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spoke French for a while...could do it pretty fluent amongs the locals in Montreal for a while. Not born with it, so it's not my second nature like my grandmothers did. Language requires total immersion in order to stay sharp.
    CD'ers are smart, by nature.

I speak english and spanish but it is always about what I sense from people not what language I speak that decides if my personality changes from being open and not selfconscious with behavior usually associated with being a woman to being selfconscious, cautious and guarded.

Usually how people react to my long hair, hairless body and painted finger/toe nails decides everything from there not what language I speak or how I'm dressed, my personality always stays the same it is how I react to others according to how they react to me that changes. If I sense fear from them (disgust,loathing,contempt,judgemental,condescendi ng,ect..) I become cautious and hypervigilant.

I speak and write German and English. Until reading this thread, it had never occurred to me before that I have never communicated in the German language while crossdressed, not had any desire to dress while in a German speaking country or community. It's as if changing languages turns off that desire. (Perhaps because it's not my native tongue and it requires more concentration to communicate in a second language, therefore shutting down some other areas of mental processing? I don't know ...)

- Diane