Thread: popular cinema and tv project us in bad light

bollywood beauty

popular cinema and tv project us in bad light

saw a recent tv series (from the BBC), it is crime thriller / detective series... one of the episode was related to a guy who has a fetish for purses and obviously a serial killer. it went into him being impotent and so on ...

although the episode was much more than just a fetish... i was wondering that our desire to dress also is looked as deviant from the norm and it is easy (in popular cinema / series) to cast us as wierdo's / sexual predators growing up in an abused childhood or a dominant mom .. and so on...

after watching the episode and i was revulsed at myself and what i like to do... i come from a happy family, childhood and am a high achiever, good at what i do... but this episode made me feel that what i do is not right (rather disgusting) and that this streak is a deviant streak in me that needs to be controlled...

i know it is not right, but ppl who are not like us ofcourse would think of us as wierdos... esp after watching episodes like these...

Well, CDs have no vocal defenders, so we're pretty much fodder for the screenwriters. Sometimes we're evil, sometimes funny and sometimes we're even the normal person talking about the "weirdo across the hall":

(about 1 minute in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2FsPQFi76A

Earlier in the series this same crossdresser was described as having "A well organized closet: evening gowns, cocktail dresses, police uniforms."

It's a comedy and the CDer does get laughted at, but at least he is portrayed as an upstanding citizen with a normal job.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

This is something that I think about a fair bit. There was a time when to the wider society, if you were gay, you were some sort of a deviant. Someone to be mocked and even feared. I think we are in this position ourselves now. I DO find the crossdressing characters in Little Britain funny 'We are LADIES' (whilst having beards!), but between this sort of humourous character and the more sinister ones such as the original poster was talking about and to a greater degree, the baddie in Silence of the Lambs, the media always seem to portray us in a rather negative light.

This is why I admire Eddie Izzard SO MUCH. I have seen him being interviewed on BBC daytime news about his political rallying and he'll drop in there that he is a 'card carrying tranny'. We need more celebs to have the balls to come out and show the world that we are 'normal' (what ever that is) and intelligent and funny and have the same wants, needs and worries as everybody else. Although not a celebrity myself, I wish that I had the balls to be more open about my femme side, but I worry too much about the ramification to my family, especially my kids.

Glad that my obsession for collecting vintage nail pullers isn't considered being a deviation from the norm!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Gee! I hope I don't become a serial killer now! Hugs!
    And if you call me one I'll hit you with my purse!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Not all that many years ago, any prtrayal of a Gay or Lesbian was highly stereotyped and either lampoonish or worse, highly negative. When I was growing up, you would never see a masculine Gay male nor an attractive, feminine Lesbian. Times have changed, perceptions have changed.
    However, when looking at popular ciniema and TV, you have to remember that in general, the writers are aware of what would in fact be more accurate. I doubt that there are many screnewriters who do not know at least one CD, just as surely as years ago, they all knew at least one Gay or Lesbian. They are in a business, one designed to make money. To that end, they write what will sell. That means that they must write what the general public will accept as entertainment rather than getting to the true nature of the beast.
    Now we have many shows that portray Gay and Lesbian characters in a far more favorable light. Rarely, you will find a CD in a clever role. Times change. Never fast enough but change they do.

Untitled
    Why is the CD community so obsessed with how they are portrayed by the media? Like every other minority in society, it is the norm to mock what is not understood, so why do we take it so personally? What can be done about it?

First of all grow a thicker skin, especially if you are in the closet, no-one knows you like to wear womens clothes so why worry about what the public think? Those who are out and about are doing their bit, little by little, to show the wider population that there is nothing abnormal about a person who wears the clothing of the opposite gender.

Secondly, it it bothers you that much, put pen to paper and contact the broadcaster, newspaper etc, voice your objection to the mimicary(sp) that the community is subjected to.

Finally, watch it, laugh with it, cry with it and treat it like it really is, an entertainment program, nothing more nothing less.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Quote Originally Posted by Nigella View Post
    Why is the CD community so obsessed with how they are portrayed by the media? Like every other minority in society, it is the norm to mock what is not understood, so why do we take it so personally? What can be done about it?

First of all grow a thicker skin, especially if you are in the closet, no-one knows you like to wear womens clothes so why worry about what the public think? Those who are out and about are doing their bit, little by little, to show the wider population that there is nothing abnormal about a person who wears the clothing of the opposite gender.

Secondly, it it bothers you that much, put pen to paper and contact the broadcaster, newspaper etc, voice your objection to the mimicary(sp) that the community is subjected to.

Finally, watch it, laugh with it, cry with it and treat it like it really is, an entertainment program, nothing more nothing less.
    For many, they will remain in the closet, precisely because the negative stereotypes could cause a negative response by family, friends and work-colleagues.

It's not about growing a thicker skin either. Why would it be OK for people to think that you are an object of ridicule? Sure you can learn to let the words go over your head, but it doesn't make it acceptable. If you're OK with it, then good for you, but personally, I don't think that it's ok. Not at all.

I have been CDing for a long time and have never hurt a box of Captin Crunch, I beat up a donut the other day. I really don't care how the media look at us as long as they get the facts right. When I am dead someone will be sure to mention that he died with his boots on, I really love nice boots, maby a 3 inch heel.

I have a nice set of vintage nails, we should talk!
    Last edited by Nigella; 04-09-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts
    .... and someday I too will become a butterfly screamed the catapiller!!!

You watch to much TV. BTW. Those series. There not real. Just an FYI.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwho View Post
    I have been CDing for a long time and have never hurt a box of Captin Crunch, I beat up a donut the other day. I really don't care how the media look at us as long as they get the facts right. When I am dead someone will be sure to mention that he died with his boots on, I really love nice boots, maby a 3 inch heel.
    wow, i was thinking the exact same thing yesterday . lol.
    finaly trying to mind this poor body that ive been thrashing for years .

What a lame TV show. Not only is it offensive, but it's not even original...Buffalo Bill anyone??

At least, Buffalo Bill was a good dancer...AND, he could sew!!

I'm right there with you. But, at the same time, the media is going to tell you to eat sh*t unless you are a blonde-haired, blue-eyed, white person from suburbia. Oh, wait, the Desperate Housewives are f*cked up too. I prefer TV like South Park where no one is safe, and everyone gets made fun of equally.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Untitled
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi View Post
    For many, they will remain in the closet, precisely because the negative stereotypes could cause a negative response by family, friends and work-colleagues.

It's not about growing a thicker skin either. Why would it be OK for people to think that you are an object of ridicule? Sure you can learn to let the words go over your head, but it doesn't make it acceptable. If you're OK with it, then good for you, but personally, I don't think that it's ok. Not at all.
    Personally I don't hold to the fact that people stay in closets because of sterotyping, they stay in the closet because of their own personal fears and how coming out would affect them as an individual, not as a group.

I fully understand the "need" of others to ridicule and mock the unknown, my skin is thick enough to understand that it is not personal. That does not make it acceptable, but it certainly helps to have a thick skin when dealing with the behavour. Growing a thicker skin has nothing to do with accepting any behaviour and everything to do with how you deal with that behaviour.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

There was a time we where never mentioned at all, now we are seen as the serial killers, rapist or what ever makes the story exciting, and some point we will be the victims in there stories, and then finally we will get to be the good guys, look how long it took Hollywood to show gays are normal people, since we have not been out in thier numbers, or as vocal, so it will take us longer. After all in show business, it's better to be the heavy, than to be invisible.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

I try to look at the movies which star gender males as transgenders, as opposed to movies which star women playing men who are crossdressers. This removes some very fine movies and acting from the equation, most notably Felicity Huffman's excellent work in TransAmerica, and Cathy Moriarty's fine acting job in Soapdish.

Obviously, the most horrible transgender M2F character in moviedom has to be Ted Levine's portrayal of the serial killer in Silence of the Lambs. Dog Day Afternoon isn't much better.

Most of the things dealing with crossdressing and transgenderism which I've seen on television recently have been fairly negative. There is an NCIS episode where the criminal is a naval officer who stole money to finance cosmetic operations and a transgender lifestyle, there is a Bog Bang Theory episode which portrays the prior occupant of Penny's apartment to be a crossdresser who is about 6'3" and 250 pounds, and, of course, the movie Ticked Off Trannies With Knives is just totally surreal.

I'd still have to go with The Crying Game and Jaye Davidson's performance and my favorite transgender movie.

Quote Originally Posted by StarrOfDelite View Post
    ...Most of the things dealing with crossdressing and transgenderism which I've seen on television recently have been fairly negative....there is a Bog Bang Theory episode which portrays the prior occupant of Penny's apartment to be a crossdresser who is about 6'3" and 250 pounds...
    Umm, some of us ARE 6'3" and 250! I think that they treated that character fairly well, considering that TBBT is a comedy. he was shown in a nice dress, he was unafraid to answer his door dressed, and he referred to Sheldon as "that wierdo across the hall!" In another episode it is revealed that he is a policeman and lives an organized life. I'd like to see us portrayed as normal folk more often.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

The only thing I know for sure Hon is that when someone points a finger at us, there are three fingers pointing back at them.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StarrOfDelite View Post
    and, of course, the movie Ticked Off Trannies With Knives is just totally surreal.
    Sounds like a really bad Hong Kong Action Film. Perhaps Shaolin Monks vs. Ticked Off Trannies With Knives would have a little more flavor to it.
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth