Thread: Day 3 in the big Helen house

Day 3 in the big Helen house

Preamble:
    I’ve just spent a week working away and while I had to be in drab for most of the working day, the evenings were Helen’s time. I took the opportunity to fully dress and makeup and resolved to venture out into the big wide world. As someone who has in the past made one or two tentative excursions I decided that, as I had a week I would start small, build confidence and work my way up to a point were I was going to be visible to others. Due to the customer I was working at encountering problems with late running building alterations which meant I couldn’t complete my work, I was gifted 2 consecutive days (3 nights) were I could remain as Helen. This meant I was able to drive around visiting places each day fully dressed. Before then however I had four evening were I could de-drab and be Helen.

I’d read of so many making the break out into the big wide world and having made a few discrete forays under the cover of darkness in times past I decided that it was time to raise the stakes and go where contact with others was a real possibility.
    That evening I drove to a local sea side town where I hoped to find a quiet place to park and take a walk along the sea front parade. So having parked up, summoning up courage I stepped from the car, put on my new coat and scarf, placed handbag on arm and set off for a gentle stroll along the promenade. The first few minutes went without hitch but then suddenly there was someone taking a smoking break outside just the other side of the road. Thinking of the old phrase “Keep calm and carry on” that’s exactly what I did. Was I read or not I couldn’t say but I continued to walk at my gentle pace. Twenty yards further on and a garage door opens and out come two guys intent on fixing something roadside. Again carry on, the world hasn’t ended.
    I walked on a little further but this was taking me into a part of the town much busier and far more brightly lit and I as yet wasn’t feeling brave enough to tackle that situation. So I found a bench, sat down and when a young couple walked by, dug about in my handbag for that thing that ladies always look for and can’t find. The two “fixit” men were still there so I sat still until they disappeared back into the garage and deciding not to push my luck I headed back the way I came, past the garage without incident. However when I looked back as I crossed the road 50 yards further on one of the two was stood staring in my direction so I guess I was made (other either that I looked so good I was worth a second look!?).
    Back to the car without any further drama and feeling more than a little buoyed I drove to a local supermarket and a walk across the car park to visit the cash machine. So further little steps along Helen’s journey out into the big wide world. More to come.
    Last edited by Helen_Highwater; 04-12-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Helen, it's lovely to hear about one of our own getting out for that first adventure. It must of been exciting and enjoyable. I bet you can't wait for another chance for some fresh air. Cheers to you for being so brave.

GG
    That sounds like such a beautiful time out. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria StJohn View Post
    Helen, it's lovely to hear about one of our own getting out for that first adventure. It must of been exciting and enjoyable. I bet you can't wait for another chance for some fresh air. Cheers to you for being so brave.
    Victoria,
    You're right about wanting to do it again. This is one of the reasons I posted is that so many have written about that same feeling yet there are so many of us, and I include myself, who hesitate to take those early steps. Any number of members have spoken about going out of the house. It would have required even more nerve if I had been at home to venture forth. Getting away from where those who know me weren't going to see me made it that much easier. I know because I have done it once in the past and those first few seconds, getting into the car and out of the road, butterflies, more like vultures in my stomach.
    On this occasion I followed the learned advice of our more experienced members. Found somewhere with some but not too many people, safety in numbers. Not too dark and somewhere where it was possble to blend - and dressed to blend. As for being brave, what our troops do shows bravery, me I just needed to summon up that little bit of self belief and confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Rose View Post
    I enjoyed the handbag reference.
    "Where the hell is that Moroccan stuffed monkey head!"
    Scarlet,
    So you've got it! I's wondered where it had gone.