Thread: Eliminate superstition

Complex Lolita...

Eliminate superstition

[SIZE="2"]“One day, a man with a pointy hat walked into town carrying a large yellow briefcase. He was also carrying a wand and a very large bottle of... homemade syrup.” (from a children’s story printed in the local newspaper, under the heading “Imaginations Work!”)

I don’t really know what that means, but since its Friday the 13th I thought I would write a little about superstitions. Thanks to deep-seated childhood traumas and assorted encounters with superstitious individuals, even I, an educated adult boy/girl who should know better, feel a tweak of something when Friday falls on the thirteenth day of the month. Perhaps I’m replaying an old joke in my head. According to the Urban Dictionary, “A person who is superstitious is a person who doesn't require evidence to believe in something. A non-superstitious person does require evidence. Some people require proof to believe something exists. Others require less than that. Those others are superstitious.” I don’t have the superstatistics to back up this diatribe, so you can see this as an experimental exercise in free association, as well as unbridled verbosity. Please bear with me, my superstitious friends...

I’m wondering if people see crossdressers (in this case MtF CD’ers) through the eyes and minds of their own relationship to superstition – they believe in supernatural causality, and we are outside of that belief, so we cannot be welcomed, or even tolerated to any degree, since it may upset whatever it is they’re trying to achieve in life. Most people are interested in survival, and I’m no different – I want to keep living, in fact I want to last as long as possible. I could live on through my children and grandchildren, but there won’t be any. All I have is me, NOW, so I have to make sense of my own existence. That may be impossibility, but others use superstitions to get through life as best they can, clinging to an imaginary framework of beliefs or attitudes that are consistent with what is generally considered by society to be true and rational. I exist outside of all this, by choice I might add, so I can be seen as a walking superstition...

Yup, it’s Friday the 13th everyday with me, as I go against the grain, swim against the tide, and turn society on its collective ear. I require evidence to believe in something, which frees me to do as I like, in this case wear some REALLY interesting clothes and feel good doing it. One thing I’m not is over-scrupulous! I never knock on wood, I don’t cross my fingers, and I pay little or no attention to spurious dates on calendars. I’m happy, but they (the public) don’t like me, mainly because I represent something dangerous – I’m a product of free thought, unencumbered by any and all superstitions. Indeed, how can you be superstitious and dress contrary to your birth gender? Maybe this is what the problem is – we’re held back by guilty associations, burdened by beliefs in one thing or another, and we simply cannot relax and enjoy the panties! We should look into this idea of “rationality,” and think about our own rationale for crossdressing...

It makes good sense to crossdress, and I insist it’s the product of sound judgment, justified on all counts, reasonable in the extreme. Why not? If we can’t sit down with our “self” and work out what we’re going to do with our lives, then we are at the mercy of those superstitions that exist through lack of reason. “I shouldn’t be doing this,” you might say to yourself, or “This is so wrong...” Says who? When you believe in yourself, everything else is possible, in fact you will soon be standing over your OLD self and beside your new “self,” if we define superstition in a literal sense. Since you’re a MtF crossdresser, a boy who likes to wear clothes meant for girls, you are doing something consistent with the laws of nature – you’re human, and curious, and if you’re male you’re not as far away from being female as you might think. That’s another superstition you may want to bury in the backyard – I’ll lend you my shovel...

Let’s get back to that gentleman who walked into town wearing a pointy hat, carrying a yellow briefcase – what if he transformed into a she, and she was wearing a wig, and carrying a yellow purse? Would it be considered superstitious to write about this event, or even acknowledge that it actually happened? Let’s say I‘m the tranny in the story, and I have some explaining to do – after all, I’ve upset the apple cart of societal mores by doing something “naughty,” and I have to explain my rationale for dressing this way. Can people get past their own superstitions, or those implanted in them since childhood, to even understand WHY a male would wish to dress this way and abandon masculinity for greener pastures? I think not, which is why I do not care to dump my well-reasoned lifestyle on those senseless individuals who cannot see past their own prejudice – even if I pour my bottle of sweet syrup on their unexciting waffles (this is Little Sweden, you know) in a gesture of submission, I will always be seen as a societal aberration, or worse. Our known “facts” will never jibe, no matter how eloquent my words are, or how elegant my presentation is...

To others, I am engaged in something called “improper worship.” Since I worship the “self,” the only thing I truly have, and I worship the closet (in a peripheral sense), I’m seen as selfish and irrational. But, hang on – my vain observances in daily life have a lot to do with being amazed (or awed) by what I can accomplish with a little imagination. I have survived my battles with superstition, and I’ve lived to tell about it – there’s no reason why you can’t crossdress and feel GOOD about it, case closed, and let’s get on with the joy of living! You can do your own “partial reinforcement effect” (look it up) by behaving contrary to superstition – your actions create reinforcement, and actions will always speak louder than words. You will remain alive and living, and that’s the whole idea of existence, isn’t it? This lifestyle may be expensive, but it’s not unreasonable – I wish all those purveyors of superstition would stop thinking that what I’m doing is foolish and silly...

Almost automatically, without reason, Friday the 13th is mentioned, usually accompanied by a nervous laugh. I never really thought about superstition, and it’s relation to intolerance, until I looked at the calendar this morning. Outside, the world goes on, and I detect no change in the proceedings. I live in a town that was recently described as “a clean, open, safe place – it’s so friendly and people are so receptive.” Perhaps, but I cannot go forth in my anti-superstitious garb and expect a warm reception from fear-loving people with closed minds. I suppose I have the right to crossdress in public, but I’m sure that my so-called “right” will be abrogated by superstition. Meanwhile, IMAGINATION is encouraged to flourish (see the quoted text), but there is a shelf life on that cute idea – soon, superstition will constrain any child’s (or adult’s) dreams, and it will become much more difficult to do anything truly imaginative with one’s life. That is undeniably senseless, as well as unreasonable and irrational, wouldn’t you say?

Just once, I’d like to read a story where an angelic, magical fairy comes to town – she whips out her pink magic wand, taps a worthy, imaginative boy on the head, and turns him into a girl. Voila! And "she" LIVED happily ever-after, the end. I don’t expect to ever see such a story during my lifetime, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed...

Are you superstitious? Really?

Oh, BTW – WARNING, long post...
    [/SIZE]

Silver Member
    No, not a bit.

As for evidence, I wonder what your take is on self evidence, as you are dismissing superstition using it as the basis. Is having an opinion, feeling something or making a decision evidence? You speak about a rationale for crossdressing, for example, but isn't it ineffable? I'm confused, too, because you speak of frameworks of understanding to counter superstition, but appear to term personal, decisioned action as non-superstitious, yet call your self a walking superstition. Couple that with the concept of self love and there's probably a joke to be had here about autogynephilia, but I'm tired.

Youthful imagination is a state of being. It's replaced in adolescence and adulthood with fantasy, a guarded thing permitted briefly only for escape. Be careful when they say "use your imagination" ... they don't mean it because there is a superstitious fear that you might believe yourself.

Lea
    Lea

I'm not superstitious! BUT! When that angelic magical fairy gets here I hope she picks me!!!!!!!!!
    And thanks for the warning on the long post! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Miriam
    Ah, my favorite posts - the ones where I actually have to think hard to even follow, and then find myself with new possibilities to consider. Thanks, Freddy.

Our superstitious world is full of
    shoulds. Among these:

• Each person should be allowed to express themselves, so long as they don't hurt anyone, as they want without fear of hostile reaction.
    • Each person should dress only in accordance with their genetic sex.

It's no wonder that my former therapists' first rule was "no shoulds, only reality". This path leads to no useful conclusions.

Miriam

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea Paine
    As for evidence, I wonder what your take is on self evidence, as you are dismissing superstition using it as the basis. Is having an opinion, feeling something or making a decision evidence? You speak about a rationale for crossdressing, for example, but isn't it ineffable? I'm confused, too, because you speak of frameworks of understanding to counter superstition, but appear to term personal, decisioned action as non-superstitious, yet call your self a walking superstition. Couple that with the concept of self love and there's probably a joke to be had here about autogynephilia, but I'm tired.
    [SIZE="2"]
    The OP is certainly an exhausting read! I had to have a nap...

As I said in another thread, I use contradiction creatively! I am a walking superstition to others, but not myself. I assume that self-love, or autogynephilia, negates superstition, but any outsider would be hopelessly confused by such an idea. There’s a hidden connection in there somewhere, between intolerance for what we do, and rampant superstition that generates fear for anything out of the ordinary – since many view crossdressing as an unreasonable enterprise, distorting this imaginary framework I alluded to, I think superstition plays a big part in the resistance we feel, even though we are only doing what comes naturally…

You’re correct to say there’s a joke to be had, but I don’t know what the punch line might be…
    [/SIZE]

Youthful imagination is a state of being. It's replaced in adolescence and adulthood with fantasy, a guarded thing permitted briefly only for escape. Be careful when they say "use your imagination" ... they don't mean it because there is a superstitious fear that you might believe yourself.
    [SIZE="2"]There is a definite boundary between youthful imagination, which is encouraged, and the need to put all that aside, get serious, and get on with the expectations you are obligated to fulfill. I think this is a crime, but I would, since I am a visual artist, someone who has willfully sidestepped a “normal” existence to keep precious (youthful) imagination alive…

There will inevitably be a point where imagination bumps into superstition, and the latter kills the former, or at least supersedes it for a time – I honestly think people fear imagination, yet they encourage it via lip service. Crossdressing, for instance, is highly imaginative…
    [/SIZE]

"I can't explain myself" said Alice, "because I'm not myself, you see."
    [SIZE="2"]I AM myself, so I can explain my “self,” but I know what you mean… [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia Anne
    When that angelic magical fairy gets here I hope she picks me!!!
    [SIZE="2"]Same here! The story I quoted was written by an 8th grader, for an essay contest, and it involves a Dala Horse, a local Swedish tourist attraction, and waffles, a local Swedish delicacy (hence the syrup reference). I often wish I had been privy to information (or even the idea) about crossdressing at that age – oh, the fun I could have had!!! I like to write my own stories and revise my own history, if only to dream about everything I missed…[/SIZE]

Why is it that I settle into your writing like into a comfortable embrace.

Friday the 13th, one of the most ordinary repeating days of my life. To spice it up I always look for the black cat, walking from left to right in front of me, as if my six cats (not black) were not enough.

Like you every day is pure magic, and inevitably even a hundred years ago I would be burned at some stake of mores. Instead, I orchestrated the vanishing act, he was never there, the ultimate superstitious slight of hand in the eyes of the beholder.

No matter how much I try I don't see what they see.

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    [SIZE=2][I]

Oh, BTW – WARNING, long post...
    [/SIZE]
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

Perhaps superstition is imagination infected by fear and the desire to escape from the fear that imagination than creates, trapped in a wilderness of mirrors installed by others but polished by the current resident(s), no one is immune.

I'll get back to you on this as i have my own thoughts but it's bed time and i do need my sleep. Not only did i read your post all the way through, (and followed you line of thoughts) i read all the others too. So maybe .... no later after i've slept on the thoughts going through my head.

SarahLynn
    Great leaders are not great because of their words or deeds but because of the greatness they inspire from others."
    (Legends of the StarDancer)