Just got some upsetting news. It looks like I've been outed.

I've been a member of a women's group for the past two or three years. The Chairlady invited me, but at first she made the mistake of telling some of the members that I was a guy. Not all the members, just some.

Well, over the years I've been very well accepted and treated as just another woman. Noone has ever asked me anything. We go out to dinner once a month and have events - trips to places, things like that. I've been an active member, and, a couple of months ago was responsible for hostessing one of the dinners.

Not only has nearly everyone been very sweet, but my spouse (also a member) and I have developed some friendships with some of the women. We shop together, go out together, things like that.

Well, there is this one woman, I call her The Nemesis, who is the leader of a small clique within the group. She has been a long-time friend of the Chairlady. Knowing that she wasn't exactly on my side at the beginning, I always tried to be nice to her. I gave her a gift for her Birthday (I was the only member who did so) and was pleasantly surprised when she gave me a gift for mine.

A couple of months ago I'm told that she had even said that she had warmed up to me and that we had become friends.

A few days ago there was the monthly dinner meeting. As it turned out, my spouse and I were unable to attend, and, at the last minute, so was the Chairlady. Apparently Nemesis took the opportunity to dis me, letting everyone know that I was "really a man." There were members that did not know and they have been terribly shocked.

The Chairlady, long my defender, is very angry about this, but we haven't yet figured out quite what to do.

Tonight I'm feeling pretty awful for the pain to the Chairlady, the group, and myself.

Hugs,
Persephone.