Thread: Things come in threes...

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar

Things come in threes...

1) A few weeks ago, my regular therapist moved away (I posted about that.) I'm in line for a different therapist at the same location (but haven't heard back yet.) The new therapist supposedly has experience with transgender and transsexuals, so the change in perspective could be interesting.

2) Effective the same week, my massage therapist moved away. I switched to a new therapist at the same location, one with more experience. The new massage therapist has zoomed in to a bunch of areas I hadn't even realized needed treatment, and through her efforts we have found clearly that I do not have the more serious "sciatica" (which involves damage to the nerves of the back), and instead have piriformus syndrome, which is hip muscles pressing on the sciatic nerve. Which is still ouchie but better prognisis. So switching turned out to be good, resulting in more appropriate treatment.

3) This morning at work, our vice president announced that two programmes were being cut at work as part of the ongoing reorganization. Award winning work, but essentially not enough short-term profit potential. Ironic, considering that we are non-profit. Anyhow, my position was one of the ones cut, and I have received the official notice . I had mooted my concern about this possibility in earlier postings, and now it happened. And I guess, now I can start moving on to other things.

I don't expect to find new employment immediately. I won't need to, and I'm not sure that it would be the best thing for me. Sometimes one needs a rest.

But since I am going to be off work for a time, this is a potential opportunity to work on myself. Maybe some voice lessons. Maybe a name change. I don't know.

An opportunity, but I don't know yet what I want to do towards transition.

So the current job goes away, and yet over the long term that might not be so bad.

Life's a funny ole' thing.

Banned Read only
    Sandra,

If your in decent shape financially then consider this a blessing concerning your job elimination.
    Now your employer is not an issue if and when you wish to transition.

As for the other two, they can be replaced.

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by Julia_in_Pa View Post
    If your in decent shape financially then consider this a blessing concerning your job elimination.
    Now your employer is not an issue if and when you wish to transition.
    It will be interesting to see how my gender feelings evolve now that I am out of the stress of all that uncertainty. And maybe I can convince myself to pay more attention to my health, such as getting out bicycling, or walking.

It does help my morale some to know that I was part of a larger cut rather than ending up "nickle and dimed" out of my position. The inevitable can be easier to deal with if it isn't personal.

But still it's going to take me some time to work out my goals. In the meantime, I can work on things that aren't "final".

Silver Member
    I've always been a believer in the adage that things happen for a reason. You have a great attitude about the layoff and other changes, and I'm sure that things will work out well because of it.

Lea
    Lea

I guess I'm getting a bit angry today. The one news article that bothered to cover the story hints that we should have known this round of cuts was going to happen. We didn't. We did have questions about how budgets were going to work, but every time we asked we were assured that we were in good shape and that the details weren't known yet but it would all work out. I guess then we were just a detail

You should be angry. It's one thing to say that good possibilities might open up now, but still someone else dictated the timing and the reason for you now to explore those possibilities. And that doesn't feel good! I went through it myself within the last year and I know how it feels. Will I be better off in a new place with new prospects? Almost certainly. Am I happy about having to do it? no. Will I ever feel good about the way it went down? No. It's okay to feel it, sandra-leigh. You can't come out the other side without doing so. Just don't let it drag you into the dumpster -- a job is important, but a job is not a life.

elizabethamy