Quote Originally Posted by Amber99 View Post
"Are you gay?" is also a complex question. Yeah I'm gay because I like women but that's not what they are asking. I feel like I'm lying no matter what I say lol.
A few years ago, I had a peri-anal abscess. This was right before going full-time. I went to see a general surgeon to get his opinion. The receptionist and the doctor were a little confused about my gender, so I told them about being trans and approaching full-time status. The doctor looked at my rear end and asked me if I was a homosexual or a heterosexual. I guessed what he was driving at and told him that orientation was not an absolute concept and that a reference point needed to be taken into account, i.e. the person's gender identity. Since I identified as a woman, would the words mean the same to him as they did to me? I said as much to him and asked him if his question was really: "did I get penetrated by penises or objects?" He said yes and I answered was no. Such conditions are common in people with office jobs. The abscess turned into a fistula and I needed surgery for it eventually.

Words matter and people often ask questions expecting an answer while using words that will point to another.