Thread: Name Change on College Transcripts

Name Change on College Transcripts

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this or if it should go in the Transitioning section. If it's incorrectly placed, I will not be offended if you close the thread and let me know where to put it or if you move it.

Basically, I have a question for those of you that have had your name legally changed and are college graduates. I had my name changed last fall and I was told to make sure to get it changed on my college transcripts. However, when I contacted my university, I was told that they "don't do that because it is not the name that the university knew me as."

Has anyone encountered this? I want to apply to grad school and I would rather not have to provide my official name change documentation to every grad school I apply to because the name on my transcript and application don't match.

Does anyone have any advice?

Silver Member
    Sounds like BS to me. I think you may have dealt with someone who is... well... an @$$.

Try talking to someone else, or a professor you had that you got along with. They might be able to help you figure out what you need to do.

My college had no issues... I called, they mailed me a form and I filled it out. Done and done.

People change their names for different reasons and it would seem reasonable that you are able to have your transcripts and diploma reflect your current name.

And it wouldn't hurt to throw out that you have a court order for them to change your name.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    If what Bree said does not work try contacting your local LGBT group. I agree there being bone headed about this. People get married and they will change it for that. You might have to get loud with them.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    i would think this kind of an issue comes up all the time, if nothing else when someone has a simple name change.

I had the same impression about it (that they were just being difficult). I'm going to call the registrar's office tomorrow and try and work my way through the hierarchy until I get someone reasonable. Hopefully I can get this resolved and I won't have to resort to getting outside parties involved.

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the swift response and the support on this!

Banned Read only
    if you have legal documentation, they can't refuse to change your name on your records, and get you a replacement copy of your diploma with your new name on it. Look in your student handbook, there must be something on it. People get married, divorced and change their names all the time. this reeks of discrimination.

I had it done on mine. I have a new diploma, new transcripts and a new carry letter of acreditation with my new name.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

I didn't get a change to call today, but I checked the website again. I found a name change form on it, but it is apparently only for current students. Underneath the link, it says, "Please Note: After graduation or “stop-out,” no name changes will be made to a student’s academic record unless the student re-enrolls at the university."

I am going to ask that they at least put a note in my file, but does anyone know if it's legal for them to do that? Do I have any recourse?

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by ftm22 View Post
    I didn't get a change to call today, but I checked the website again. I found a name change form on it, but it is apparently only for current students. Underneath the link, it says, "Please Note: After graduation or “stop-out,” no name changes will be made to a student’s academic record unless the student re-enrolls at the university."

I am going to ask that they at least put a note in my file, but does anyone know if it's legal for them to do that? Do I have any recourse?
    If you legal paperwork to show your name has changed, then I think you have a case. You should consult with a GLBT rights group and see if they have an attorney willing to represent you. Or the other thing you could do is enroll in a Phys Ed one credit class like Bowling, and then have them change all your records.

Hi,

Back in 1989 I had a similar problem at the Univ. of Colorado. Finally I brought my legal name change information with me and talked to one of the clerks. She told me there was nothing she could do as my name was already on my transcript and degree.

I asked to talk to her supervisor and was told something similar. I asked to talk to her supervisor and finally found someone who would listen.

To each of these individuals I explained that this was a legal issue and that the judge who granted my petition asked to be informed of the names of any individual who impeded the process of my name change.

Eventually through persistance, staying calm and seeking another supervisor I was able to have all my documents in my new name. It took a lot of work, but it was well worth the effort. Good luck, don't let them beat you down.

Karan

P.S. At one point one of the clerks crossed out my old name by putting ------ through it and adding Karan. I insisted that wasn't good enough and went to the next level supervisor.
    Last edited by Karan49; 06-02-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: add ps

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Karan49 View Post
    Hi,

Back in 1989 I had a similar problem at the Univ. of Colorado. Finally I brought my legal name change information with me and talked to one of the clerks. She told me there was nothing she could do as my name was already on my transcript and degree.

I asked to talk to her supervisor and was told something similar. I asked to talk to her supervisor and finally found someone who would listen.

To each of these individuals I explained that this was a legal issue and that the judge who granted my petition asked to be informed of the names of any individual who impeded the process of my name change.

Eventually through persistance, staying calm and seeking another supervisor I was able to have all my documents in my new name. It took a lot of work, but it was well worth the effort. Good luck, don't let them beat you down.

Karan

P.S. At one point one of the clerks crossed out my old name by putting ------ through it and adding Karan. I insisted that wasn't good enough and went to the next level supervisor.
    persistence and going up the chain of command will always net the bet results. Eventually, someone gets tired of listening to the squeaky wheel and they decide to grease it. Great advice Karan!

Silver Member
    Has the college actually SEEN your legal documents? Asking on the phone may be problematic.

Don't request, inform. Send them a notarized copy of your court ordered name change and inform them that you wish a corrected copy of your transcripts. If they refuse at that point it may be time for a letter from your lawyer.

S