Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Housewife

Quote Originally Posted by Denise69 View Post
    Hopefully you're able to use those skill now in the marrketplace.
    I hope so too!!

But nowadays it is difficult to find something without the proper credentials behind your name. I do have a lead this week and hopefully this one will pan out.
    Reine

My mother is a doctor and my dad was a lawyer and while they did provide very well for me I was basically raised by our housekeeper. My husband is also a doctor and I am a professional as well. I do worry about the kids getting the proper attention, and i do think about all of the times when my parents weren't around while I was growing up. I used to think to myself.. I'd never treat my kids ( if i had any) like this. it's a conundrum for sure.

Kel
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee4U View Post
    Well, I guess I'm just a working girl. MY wife's disabilities leave me with 90% of the housework as well as my job, so does that make me a "working housewife" ?
    I'm in your club, full-time wage earner and full-time househusband due to my wife's MS.

Quote Originally Posted by kellycan27 View Post
    My mother is a doctor and my dad was a lawyer and while they did provide very well for me I was basically raised by our housekeeper. My husband is also a doctor and I am a professional as well. I do worry about the kids getting the proper attention, and i do think about all of the times when my parents weren't around while I was growing up. I used to think to myself.. I'd never treat my kids ( if i had any) like this. it's a conundrum for sure.

Kel
    Kel,

It sounds like you're a perfect person to do freelance consulting? Something where you build up that portfolio of private clients, and perhaps work out a job share style situation with your current employer or another firm? Adding 'small business owner' onto your resume won't hurt, right? It should help the balance a bit as well.

You appear to have my ulimate dream come true. I would love to emulate the Donna Reed role.

Senior Member Jacqueline Winona's Avatar
    I could be if I wanted, my wife makes more than enough for both of us, but I couldn't do it. I need to be intellectually challenged like I am with my current job. I'm not saying that being the stereotypical housewife who volunteeers for everything wouldn't be challenging or rewarding, but what I do gives me fuel for the rest of my life and I couldn't live without it. Not that I don't enjoy a break every now and then, especially if I can dress at home.

Audrey Michelle's SO
    Quote Originally Posted by janet54 View Post
    Mandy. In no way did I mean to offend anyone your job at home is VERY hard.You are a wife and a mother. I have no children. Just my wife and me.This works for us.
    I shouldn't have gotten so bent out of shape. I should be apologizing to you! At times it is hard being a GG and having others glorify or idolize our day to day lives. I am still learning and getting accustomed to how things happen here, without taking offense. Again, I am sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    Maybe, I should get a copy of "Shades of Grey?"
    Hmm... are you sure you don't already have it? You spelled it right, and the fact that you know what it is..... hmmm..... LOL!!! (It's not bad, I am on the 2nd one now. )
    Real Men (Among Others! ) Wear Panties

Most of the time I work perhaps half the hrs my wife does. I'm lucky that I have a very flexible schedule while she is unlucky that she is currently chained to the corporate grind. I really enjoy making her life easier and less stressful by doing as much of the house work as I possibly can, washing, cleaning, grocery shopping and preparing meals, so that when she comes home she is able to relax and not have to deal with that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    I was the homemaker for almost 20 years... as far as I'm concerned, homemaker was my most important role.
    Just for the record, and maybe to help Kelly in her decision, before I decided to become a full-time homemaker I had completed a doctorate and, after working in middle and upper management for others, as well as having been a university faculty member, was running my own company which I had built from the ground up to a significant size staff and a client list of Fortune 500 companies. I had been the President of the regional trade association as well as other professional organizations. I was fairly popular on the profession's lecture circuit, had been quoted in professional newsletters and publications as well as in Newsweek and Fortune, and so on. I was a definite suit wearing, hard driving Type A personality.

But no-one ever puts "he was good at work" on a tombstone, instead you often see some variation on "loving spouse and parent." I'm glad that I changed my life and I still view homemaker as my finest title.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Audrey Michelle's SO
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Just for the record, and maybe to help Kelly in her decision, before I decided to become a full-time homemaker I had completed a doctorate and, after working in middle and upper management for others, as well as having been a university faculty member, was running my own company which I had built from the ground up to a significant size staff and a client list of Fortune 500 companies. I had been the President of the regional trade association as well as other professional organizations. I was fairly popular on the profession's lecture circuit, had been quoted in professional newsletters and publications as well as in Newsweek and Fortune, and so on. I was a definite suit wearing, hard driving Type A personality.

But no-one ever puts "he was good at work" on a tombstone, instead you often see some variation on "loving spouse and parent." I'm glad that I changed my life and I still view homemaker as my finest title.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    I want to be you when I grow up!!! What an amazing life you have led.... and you still have so much more to live!!
    Real Men (Among Others! ) Wear Panties

In a traditional worldview, I fill the role of "housewife." I work from home (self-employed with a very flexible schedule) and my wife works in an office (and travels at least one week a month) so the household chores fall to me because I have the time to do them and they don't interefere with "us" time that way. My kids are grown and my wife never had any so I'm just taking care of a two person household.

I also do all the cooking, since my wife believes that the microwave is a critical part of the meal preperation process.

We joke that I'm doing the Dona Reed thing, but I don't own a set of pearls, and while I'm almost always dressed, I don't go as far as the 50's style "look perfect for your husband" appearance on a daily basis. I did, however, figure out that if you are cooking and cleaning while wearing a nice dress, an apron is a requirement.

I basically have been, but will be back on the school bus starting next week. I do enjoy being the housewife for sure, it's brought me closer to my daughters which is the best!

For the past five years I've worked from home (yipeeeee!!!). However, my SO works full-time, somewhere else. I do try and do a bit of housework, but I have to say I'm a bi C#*P at it

I just can't reach the standards my wife expects....she's just too good at doing the housework, organizing the kids, doing the home accounts and working full-time.

I'm happy to admit, that either in male or female mode....I'm rubbish at it!!!

I get to be housewife three times a week. My wife works a part time job on thoughs three days. I love dressing and doing the house work. And my wife loves the fact that I help with the household chores. Today is laundry day. Daviolin
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

During my marriage, we shared most of the duties till I was injured at work and home full time. At that point, I did 90% of the house hold duties and was dressed till just before our boys would return home from school.

I'm another full time homemaker, since I've retired, and the wife still works, and has limited ability's, do to age related handicaps. So I do most of the house work, and cooking around here. Clothes and gender don't make it sexy, but if you have to do it, you might as well do it in femme.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

My wife and I have shared everything. Working both nights early morning etc. to make sure one of us is here for our kids, now they are ready to move on, age wise, we are looking to work 9-5. I am the one at home most so do cooking and washing but not cleaning, just hoover. I always do that job badly, stripped varnish of chairs once, much the amusement of the family, used wrong product.
    But I would recommend it to anybody.

Hugs & Kisses

Silver Member
    Mandy have you checked out public vocational schools? I got my license in NJ that way and started at a high end salon. The cost then was about a $1000 and they often have both evening and day classes. It was quite interesting being a 35 year old male in an aotherwise all famale high school cosmetology class. I think i was a father figure. Hope this is an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyGG View Post
    Reine is right, Kel....

I was a hairstylist before having kids. I didn't keep my license up to date. I wanted to return to that profession after 10 years, and was told that to "renew" my license would require me to go back to school and do it all over again. I can't pay off another 10,000 dollar student loan! So, my hairstylist days are over. I have no other skill sets. Nothing else except for hobbies to talk about. No other friends, besides the ones that I met through our kids. Yes, watching kids grow is a rewarding adventure, but that has been proven to be equally rewarding for working parents.

Geez, I missed this post before starting my own on a similar subject. I meant mine in a lighter vein, and certainly all of us who had working moms can appreciate where everyone is coming from here. I'm just glad I can do more to help Sue out, but I still wonder if those of us who do housework dressed aren't guilty of some sort of gender stereotype.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Cook View Post
    Geez, I missed this post before starting my own on a similar subject. I meant mine in a lighter vein, and certainly all of us who had working moms can appreciate where everyone is coming from here. I'm just glad I can do more to help Sue out, but I still wonder if those of us who do housework dressed aren't guilty of some sort of gender stereotype.
    I have never understood this aspect of CDing. Mainly, because the idea of my "good" clothes getting sweaty and smelling like cleaning products grosses me out. However, I'm all for whatever motivates people to actually clean. So, if dressing like a girl and cleaning because you are kind of sexist works for you...go for it...at least you're getting something done. But, just don't dress up like a pig and mess up the place to live up to whatever other stereotypes you enjoy lol. I think you are on to something... Lol I saw that people on this forum liked dressing up and cleaning/cooking...and, I will admit I was exploiting my SO's CDing a little bit when I tried to sell him on the idea. But, my SO's a pretty smart cookie too and saw right through my plan. But, my SO is more domestic than I am. He doesn't dress up to clean, but he holds down the fort well. In the end, it's a team effort to keep our ship running though.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Aspiring Member
    Househusband....Homemaker....sure i am those, but Housewife is reserved for her when she needs a break from being Primary Caretaker...jus' sayin

Shan your not the only GG who has tried that!...

... she's all "Le sigh...(blink blink)..."....

...and im all "whats wrong?"....

...and shes all "Wish my GF, would come over and put away laundry"

....and then im all "Le facepalm"

But your right Shan the context of the OP header is pretty sexist, guys are homemakers too. But i crossdress and im a househusband so, cleaning just gives me something to do while im wearing my heels or just crossdressed in general. I do it because it keeps me busy and on my feet, and not because i have a sexist view on household chores. Just thought id share because your post made giggle to myself......

-Donni-

Quote Originally Posted by Shananigans View Post
    So, if dressing like a girl and cleaning because you are kind of sexist works for you...go for it...at least you're getting something done. But, just don't dress up like a pig and mess up the place to live up to whatever other stereotypes you enjoy lol. I think you are on to something... Lol
    Had I been eating or drinking something while reading this, I would have choked on it from laughter. LOL
    Reine

I have never understood this aspect of CDing. Mainly, because the idea of my "good" clothes getting sweaty and smelling like cleaning products grosses me out. However, I'm all for whatever motivates people to actually clean. So, if dressing like a girl and cleaning because you are kind of sexist works for you...go for it...at least you're getting something done. But, just don't dress up like a pig and mess up the place to live up to whatever other stereotypes you enjoy lol. I think you are on to something... Lol I saw that people on this forum liked dressing up and cleaning/cooking...and, I will admit I was exploiting my SO's CDing a little bit when I tried to sell him on the idea. But, my SO's a pretty smart cookie too and saw right through my plan. But, my SO is more domestic than I am. He doesn't dress up to clean, but he holds down the fort well. In the end, it's a team effort to keep our ship running though.
    Brilliant post!!! Very well said!!! And the bottom line is just exactly that - it is a team effort to keep the ship sailing.

Smile housewife

My wife works and now im the house wife as unemployed i tend do all the house work i can for her - but i am dressed female 90% of the time now so it has it's upside

Quote Originally Posted by MandyGG View Post
    I don't really know how to take this thread. It sounds almost like the OP is sexualizing the roll of a "housewife" and being a complete submissive. Now if that is what you take of it, good for you. I on the other hand, am a mother of 3. 2 of them in grade school and the 3rd is 1 year old. I would be paid less than we would put out for daycare, so the solution to the problem is me staying home and taking care of the children. Believe me when I say that if your day were filled with dirty diapers, various appointments, and calls from the school, you would in no way sexualize the situation. I would rather work, and have an independence of my own if something were to happen to my husband. But as it stands right now, it isn't in the cards. My day is full of stress, exhaustion, and the constant worry of bills. Oh, how I wish it were filled with maids outfits and which heels look best.
    I am in no way minimizing Mandy's difficulties when I say that it's possible to experience housework both ways. I'm a single parent half the time, I work two jobs, and I do almost all the housework because my 23-year-old wife, though her heart is giving, just doesn't know how and doesn't really want to learn yet. My work pressures are so great that I spent most of my dress time at my computer, but I love to cook in a dress when the occasion comes up. I got a lovely apron on eBay to protect my silk. Vacuuming and laundry are more fun in the New Look as well. Of course Mandy has smaller kids and she has them full-time -- very different.
    Lisa

Oh this is very amusing. My wife and I did this for a couple of months after we first met. I wore dresses and did absolutely everything for her and I LOVED it. That was probably the happiest I've ever been. She was the one who eventually grew tired of it because she wanted to be "dominated."
    Lisa
    Last edited by ReineD; 04-23-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Merging posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button "+ if you want to respond to several people at once.