Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One for the 50 + club

One for the 50 + club

(Seeing that sissystephanie has made us aware of how many there are of us )

I was just wondering seeing that styles have changed so many times over the years if you have changed your dressing style to keep up with the latest styles or have you been happy to stay with the type that you knew and enjoyed from the early years although they do seem to bounce back every so often .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    Personally I like to keep up to date (at least clothes that are current within the last 2 years). Afraid I would draw attention going out in Scarlett O'Hara style lol
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    SHOOT! thought this was a thread that I could really respond to, but I missed the boat again. I am a member of the 50+ club, but have only a very short time in grade (7 mos) so I cannot comment on changing styles. I do find myself drawn to the styles of the 40s and 50s, but am a modern girl I am afraid.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

I am also in the 50+ club, but I like to dress trendy. I don't want to look like my mother. Love Millie

My wife keeps reminding me that over the years my skirts keep getting shorter and shorter.

me too I'm in the 50s club and got me badge to prove it,there is an old saying that everything comes around full circle, I remember platform heels and the invention of the mini skirt FIRST TIME ROUND , (I knew I should have kept those platform boots)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Hugs J-JAY

Never underestimate the power of brains and a push up bra.

Never complain about growing old, far too many people have been denied that privilege".

I'm 64, I dress as a 40'ish woman. I've just about always dressed younger.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

I haven't changed my style to stay in step with fashion, though I do adopt certain aspects to keep my look current.
    I could never wear most of what the industry tells us in "IN" as it's just not fitting for someone my age and size. Many of the looks are so tailored to the younger set that they would just look out of place on me. Also, I don't have the budget to keep up even if I wanted to.
    I prefer to add pieces that are more timeless so that I don't have to empty my closet every year just to satisfy the fashionistas of the world.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

At 55 I always try to dress my age. I do pay attention to style. Weather in male mode or female I try to say with the times. To me part of passing is blending in. That means makeup and dress appropriate to where I'm going.

Banned Read only
    Nearing age 65 I dress to reflect my age. Now, age appropriate does not mean donning a granny dress. There are many attractive dresses for the 'mature' woman. For me, age group and body structure, a 1960's era mini skirt is NOT going to make it. For those of us growing up in the 1950's and 1960's women did NOT wear pants. That includes jeans. In fact girls did NOT wear pants or jeans. If a woman wore pants, well, she must just as well had a scarlet letter burned into her forehead.

For me to complete the woman within, I must wear a tasteful pretty dress, just above the knee to mid calf. And, whether the dress is lined or not, I must wear a pretty and lacy full slip. Slips hanging in the bathroom in my youth lead me down the line to cross dressing. Maybe, like so many others of my era, dressing would not be complete without heels to go with the dress.

I know there are many cute styles and appliques for jeans, but, I will not be caught dead in feminine jeans. As to pants suits? Well, shoot me now!

If you know me, you know I have no set style Joanne. I can make pretty much anything work any time.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I'm in my 50s and tend to dress appropriately. That doesn't mean frumpily. If the occasion allows, my hemline and heels can go up, but most of the time I prefer clothes that combine both comfort and style. I don't think that this is much different from a GG.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I am almost in my 80's (3 weeks), but dress in whatever styles are popular with middle aged women today! I do like some of the older styles, but most of my clothes are fairly modern! BTW, everybody tells me that I don't look my age at all!! Myfriends think that I am in my early 60's!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I don't change. Truthfully I am the perfect age as far as clothes go. I love the styles my peers wore in the 70's (short) and I love how the same women dress now when the do dress up.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I'm stuck in a style, though some would argue that it's far from style. Whatever it is, I like how I dress, and it's to please only me.

I started dressing in the era of poodle skirts and layered petticoats. I guess I've kept up with the times, even while I was deep in the closet. I always managed to find updated clothes and enjoy current fashion trends. I think I would be too conspicuous nowadays in a poodle skirt and layered petticoats.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Me... I go in to stores and bemoan the lack of nice coordinates, of decent quality skirts or pant-suits, of linen dresses.The ones that never go out of style, and don't wear out after a single season.

Fashion: a code word for "the top is too short for you" !

I'm not really that bad, but I buy good-looking things when I find them, rather than buying according to fashion.

Platinum Member
    Hi Joanne, I'm in the 60+ club and with my collection I can find something in my closets
    to work almost anywhere in the last 50yrs.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I try to stay reasonably up to date, but I don't throw away clothes or shoes just because they've passed their opening season. I do adopt some older fashion traditions in underdressing, including corsets and non-stretch (sometimes seamed) stockings. But these still work well with contemporary clothing styles.

- Diane

I always dress according to my hair colour.
    Inside every good man, there is a good woman.

I like to stay somewhat current with style. However, it all basically is cyclical with some minor exceptions. One reason my closet is stuffed and overflowing. The major exception I find now is that slips are generally no longer needed, especially if you get a fully lined garment. I do mis the full fashioned RHT seamed stockings.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    [SIZE="4"]Yeah, I'm 50+. I pretty much stick with the naughty librarian from the 50's look. You know, stockings and garters, and heels, and tight skirts, and foundation garments, and pointy bras. I've no interest in trendy stuff at all. Just like to look feminine and a just a little naughty![/SIZE]

Hi,

64 , style i see it as it has changed over the last 54 years. & i dont really take any stock in it, as i dress for my self & i buy clothes that i like or did. ill get a few more tees & tops new & any thing eles second hand . i dont follow fashon. never did & i wont now,

My real like is the Renaissance clothes better still the ones i make & wear. & its going to be interesting as ill be wearing my Wench outfit, on the planes in Austraila with a friend ill have with me. so my style is that period & im more than happy with that,

...noeleena...

My wife often reminds me that I need to dress my age,then comes home with new lingerie and a skirt or top that id definitely to young for me.What is the message?lol Hope she doesn't stop!

I'm 51, but I like to dress as a 40-ish lady would, and I also like to keepup with,or at least be semi-current with the styles.