Thread: Hair Salons

Hair Salons

So...are there places where people with 'alternate lifestyles' can get their hair done, manis and pedis, waxings in hard-to-reach places? Total transformations?

Reason I'm asking is I'm moving in the near future and when i move, I'd like to open a salon. I've been a hairdresser for 30 years adn I'm so tired of the average everyday clients. I live in an army town and all I do is fades, fades, fades. I had a woman come in one day and wanted a mohawk. I said, "Okay...just to be sure we're on the SAME PAGE, you want from here (pointing to the top of her head) to here (pointing to the top of her ear) shaved down to skin on both sides, right?" She said, "Yup!" So, then her partner comes in and says, "I can't believe you're going to such extremes!" So, I said, "Well, if you want to go extreme, you should dye it hot pink, too!" She said, "....can you???..." I said, "I'll go mix it up!" It was the funnest thing I've done in a long time, that hot pink mohawk. Just different and I love to mix it up. And I like to give people that would feel like people are constantly judging them a place to go and not feel judged. Being a hairstylist, I've worked with many people that have alternate lifestyles...mostly gay men...and I've always just wanted to tuck them under my arm and protect them and yell at people that are too narrow minded to accept a nice person just because of what they do behind closed doors.

So...in a large city with more than one drag bar...do you think a salon that caters to people with alternate lifestyles would be hugely popular or just a flash in the pan? I already have it names...Metamorphosis. I love it. I'd have butterflies as my theme. Catchy aint it?

See thread CD USA ,,,, Yull be perfect !!
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

How do I find this thread?

I think that you need to have a business plan that will meet your economic goals based on a steady flow of new and repeat customers. What you offer is great, but there are a lot of places that appreciate the values of money and are willing to try different things that people want. So, maybe near your military base they are more conservative, in a large metro area, I think that you will find places that offer serves to us on the fringe of society. Some MtF members here have written about getting body waxes, hair styling, and other feminine services in various cities around the USA. One way to pick a location would be to do an informal survey, just like a customer might, and call the local beauty salons to see if they would offer those services to male customers, and how often they actually have male customers who use those services. Unfortunately, we are a small section of the consumer pool and to rely predominantly on us as a customer, may be overly optimistic. I think that we can add another client base to your model and thus help increase your income, but not as regular customers. I am interested to read what others have to say about this.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    I have one question: why not just have a salon that offers all these services that you mention, but somehow get the word out there that you welcome transgender or crossdressing clients. Put that in your ads or target your advertising to the groups you want to attract.

I wouldn't want to be too dependent on one particular group if i were you.

I know of a few places in the Northeast that welcome CD's and TG's. They do very well.

So tell us where are you going to open up the New Shoppe, New Jersey I hope

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Darla is correct. The business plan for a niche salon - unless you've got a lot of crossdressers in your area - isn't quite sustaining.

In many cities, there are alternative newspapers. Advertise in those that you have trans-friendly services, after-hours appointments for the shy little things, and maybe examples of your work.

I hear you on the "fun" aspect. I remember asking a MAC artist once if she minded doing our makeup. "Mind?! Gee, let's see, which would I rather do? Do makeup on yet another 17 year-old girl with perfect bone structure and flawless skin, or something that challenges me?"

Kathi

I'll echo the thought that you need a wide clientèle. Although we CDs are fun and lovable there aren't enough of us to pay the rent. You need to fill the gap with bread-and-butter customers, the ones who keep standing appointments.

While you might move to a LGBT-friendly area, you'll find that a lot of other people have had the same idea. There is no lack of edgy salons in places like West Hollywood.

The clientèle of a salon also depends upon the people working there and the way they treat the customers. Word of mouth is very powerful. The salon my wife and I patronize is very welcoming. The customers range from silver-haired senior citizens to teens getting made over for proms to men getting color jobs. It's as much a soclal center as it is a salon! That's the kind of place I would want to work if I had the skills!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

If there is a salon that would make me feel real girly when I'm in there then I would be going to it all the time. I've been to many straight and gay hairdressers over the years but they all seem the same so right now it doesn't matter where I go. I also don't care for the one on one after hours appointments for waxing, hair etc... I want to go in during normal business hours and get the services done. With that been said it would be very thrilling to get these things done while dressed up as a woman. That I have to try before I die!

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Thinking about it from another perspective I would imagine most women (GGs here) probably wouldn't mind too much if CD or TG person came for services. I think women are pretty accepting in that way.

and if for some reason is was a problem for some then, they could either get over it or go find someone else.

I know as a CD that a shop like that would be most welcome

would you do nails too?

I go to 2 different salons in the small conservative city where I live. One to get my hair cut. At tis salon, the owner does wigs. She has fit my wigs for the last 10 years. At the other salon, I get my manicure done every 2 weeks and my pedicure done once a month. For my manicure, I get clear polish put on. For my pedi, I get color applied. Over the years, at least 6 different girls in the salon have done manicures and pedicures for me. It is no big deal. They all know what I do. I am just another good client. I am never late for my appointment and I tip well.

Just give the client anything that he or she wants and do it proifessionally and with a smile.

Jodi

I'm not gonna talk down to you like some of the others have. You're a grown ass woman and I'm sure you can handle the vagaries of opening a business.

My answer is; come to the SF Bay area. There's millions of people between Oakland, San Francisco, and San Jose and there is no shortage of alternative lifestyles. I live in the Diablo Valley which is probably the most conservative area this close to the bridges, but it's also more affordable if you want to buy a house. (only half a million, instead of a million LOL) There is a ton of competition but also a ton of opportunity here. You could get a job in an established salon while you scope out the area. My good friend Avital owns a small salon in Walnut Creek and I know she would at least talk to you and give you advice if she doesn't happen to need a stylist.

Any large metro area would be similar but I'm partial to my beloved Bay.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Audrey Michelle's SO
    Awww, Tech! I was a hairstylist!

Ok. Now I am going to go read all of the post! I got too excited to tell you first! Lol!
    Real Men (Among Others! ) Wear Panties

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    I'm not gonna talk down to you like some of the others have. You're a grown ass woman and I'm sure you can handle the vagaries of opening a business.
    LOLOL!!! Thanks for that!!
    My answer is; come to the SF Bay area. There's millions of people between Oakland, San Francisco, and San Jose and there is no shortage of alternative lifestyles. I live in the Diablo Valley which is probably the most conservative area this close to the bridges, but it's also more affordable if you want to buy a house. (only half a million, instead of a million LOL) There is a ton of competition but also a ton of opportunity here. You could get a job in an established salon while you scope out the area. My good friend Avital owns a small salon in Walnut Creek and I know she would at least talk to you and give you advice if she doesn't happen to need a stylist.

Any large metro area would be similar but I'm partial to my beloved Bay.

.................................................. .

Silver Member
    Advertising in the alternative papers is a great idea, and a web site of course (should indicate you are trans friendly on both.) Another good idea is to go to local trans group and pitch yourself and let everyone know you are out there in person; become known as a friendly ally to the trans community. If you do wigs as well, you could attract trans folks in your area looking for wigs and wig styling.

You will probably have to have cisgender clients as well though, as others said the population of TV/TS is too small in most areas to survive on (having wigs makes you more lucrative to the trans community.)

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Melissa, I don't think we were talking down to Techwife. She asked our opinion, and we gave it to her. She didn't say, "Hey, I'm thinking of starting a business. Who wants to give me a positive, happy "You go, girl" reply?"

I've started (and sold) two businesses. I know it can be exciting, terrifying, fun, exhausting, and more, but you have to think. Using an anatomy analogy, if you use your heart, and not your head, you'll lose your a$$.

So Techwife, you've been in business long enough to know if you can make it. My main concern is on the cerebral side. Can you make enough money to pay the bills doing only transformation makeovers? It depends on your overhead. If you're planning on using a portion of your house as a salon, your overhead is reduced severely. Of course, the neighbors may wonder why you have very tall women constantly traipsing around at all hours.

OK, enough of using my head. Now to the heart! A service like this is wonderful! So many of us (myself included) just don't get makeup, fashion, hairstyling, and all of the skills that you have lived your life honing and perfecting. A service that not only does this for us, but shows up how to then do it ourselves? Priceless! Couple that with the more important thing we're getting out of it - acceptance - and you have a winner.

Kathi

First...I'm a bit confused, I guess you are dealing with some issues that strike close to home, but for a business your okay with it? Anyway, you need to make an income, so maybe start with what you know and at the same time reach out to the alternate styles...I think you could really make a name for yourself if you pick a niche like that, but don't bet the farm on it because fads come and go. What I think a lot of businesses are missing out on, is making it clear that they support anyone, especially transgender people etc.. I would love to see a business display a sign that says, 'Average people wecome too" and also some text that specifically says "transgender people are our favorite clients". What you want to do is make Joe average feel great and at the same time make the alternatives accessible to them because closet dressers will not want to appear different. one thing I always hate about salons in the open atmosphere where clients can see other clients being worked on...I would go for some sort of screens to really make people feel comfortable. You could also team up with a used clothing store, makeup artist, photographer...say all in the same strip mall and offer a combined package for those who want it. Could be a lot of fun!
    Chickie

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    I'll echo the thought that you need a wide clientèle. Although we CDs are fun and lovable there aren't enough of us to pay the rent. You need to fill the gap with bread-and-butter customers, the ones who keep standing appointments.

While you might move to a LGBT-friendly area, you'll find that a lot of other people have had the same idea. There is no lack of edgy salons in places like West Hollywood.

The clientèle of a salon also depends upon the people working there and the way they treat the customers. Word of mouth is very powerful. The salon my wife and I patronize is very welcoming. The customers range from silver-haired senior citizens to teens getting made over for proms to men getting color jobs. It's as much a soclal center as it is a salon! That's the kind of place I would want to work if I had the skills!
    Hi Eryn, can you tell us if you go to your salon completely dressed en femme for these services or are you just in drab but your getting the girl stuff done like mani/pedis painted nails etc? If you do go en femme I'm sure there are always "those looks" you get or hear like the background voices saying I can't believe he did that, even though your salon is accepting. Do you ignore it or laugh it off? The reason I'm asking this is if I were at an accepting salon, dressed up, sitting in an open setting getting my nails done with other men and women in the chairs next to me I would feel uneasy having a conversation with the tech and my male voice. Would you say that 90% of this would just be my insecurity??
    I would love pointers from any body. Thanks.

Honestly , it's being done in Seattle. The GGs come to Tea's club to do freebes as advertiseing , but obviously the members are already out... So One Idea is to offer whatever your clients are comfortable with in your ads , at their level.... like home service too, or day mainstream to private sessons if that is what they want.
    Also [ as someone said offer clothes,] jewery, purses, things that cater to those not comforable shopping in the mall.

Remember , sad as it is many CDs don't go out dressed, so you may want to offer a changeing room.

Presh GG

edited to add
    IE above, Erin what kinds of comments do you hear if you're in salons dressed ?
    Last edited by Presh GG; 04-29-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by Prissy Girl View Post
    Hi Eryn, can you tell us if you go to your salon completely dressed en femme for these services or are you just in drab but your getting the girl stuff done like mani/pedis painted nails etc? If you do go en femme I'm sure there are always "those looks" you get or hear like the background voices saying I can't believe he did that, even though your salon is accepting. Do you ignore it or laugh it off? The reason I'm asking this is if I were at an accepting salon, dressed up, sitting in an open setting getting my nails done with other men and women in the chairs next to me I would feel uneasy having a conversation with the tech and my male voice. Would you say that 90% of this would just be my insecurity??
    I would love pointers from any body. Thanks.
    I'll chime in.

I go to any mainstream salon of my choice, whether hair or nail, and am always treated wonderfully. Looks? Comments? Maybe sometimes but your question is from the perspective of fear. There are way too few of us out there mainstream going about our business but those who do typically do so without giving a rat's you-know-what about what others think or say.

Segue to the OP, there are way too few of us out there who frequent mainstream environments to build an entire business around if such business is based upon a mainstream model. This is why TG boutiques are out there and those are few and far between, often charging a premium for the comfort of "security" and perhaps to help make up for the shortfall when it comes to volume.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

If you were close, I'd be one of your regular clients Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning