Thread: The obligatory thread

Complex Lolita...

The obligatory thread

[SIZE="2"]“There’s an old Spanish saying: “If it has a beard, it’s a man; if there’s no beard, it’s a woman...” This expression is incredible, isn’t it?” (Pablo Picasso)

I was at Walgreen’s the other night, accompanying my sister on a pharmaceutical expedition, and I found myself wandering around the store, looking at anything and everything. I was gazing at the magazines, and one of the covers featured a rather leggy young woman in a very short dress, smiling as though she was embarrassed, uncertain, or surprised she was revealing so much. This got me thinking, since we’re being shown something, in a certain way, for a certain reason – are women obliged to show their legs? I wonder. THEY are the ones with the obligatory short dresses, short skirts, and short shorts, so did someone, at some point, decide that females reveal and not conceal themselves? Who is rendering a service, and for whom?

OK, let’s get out the dictionary – to oblige is to constrain by physical, legal, or moral force, or to bring under obligation. When you oblige someone you do them a favor, or you accommodate them in some way, in fact you are compelled or constrained to do so. The more I think about this, the idea of obligation seems to be at the heart of all the problems MtF crossdressers face in the so-called “real” world. The latter is full of obligations, namely those contracts, promises, or moral responsibilities that bind everyone. You are obligated to do your “duty,” legally or socially, and everyone is watching you. You are compelled to be obliging, unless you’re a miscreant, always ready to be of service, civil, eager to please others, and unswervingly complaisant...

Let’s get back to that young woman in the short dress – in regards to moral responsibility, or an unwritten law that compels her to reveal her body, is she obligated to be so...exposed? I assume that males, somewhere along the way, laid down the guidelines for obligatory behavior, so they, I assume, wish to see female legs. Are females obligated to have longer hair than males? Are they obligated to wear clothes that are impractical for cold weather, all in an effort to satisfy these obligations, these societal accommodations, which push the genders apart and keep them there? If I see a female out in the world, she is invariably revealing something, rendering a service in the process, either by encouraging other (male) obligations, or simply wanting to make others happy. Is SHE happy, constrained by her obligatory presentations?

Enter the MtF crossdresser, and he (I mean she) likes to wear female clothing. In doing so he (she) is appropriating female obligations, or turning them upside down in an unintentional effort to upset societal mores, moral responsibilities, and legal constraints. Pity the poor male – he is obliged to have facial hair (see the quoted text above), turn away from anything even remotely effeminate, eschew softness for toughness, worship “cool” at the temple of his choosing, and go to great lengths to fit in with the rest of the male cattle, no doubt decorating his skin with the appropriate branding (via tattoos). Poor booby – they even took the nice colors away from him, replacing them with obligatory drab hues that express suppressed emotion and a need to root out and destroy all weakness. When in combat, or an athletic contest of some sort, the male is obliged to apply paint under his eyes, making him look (and feel) like a warrior. If, however, he wishes to apply paint ABOVE his eyes, all bets are off...

MtF crossdressing is, at heart, a tacit turning-away from obligations, doing your “self” a service in the process. This is good, but it upsets the proverbial apple cart, going, as it does, against all those societal contracts you entered in to along a “normal” life path. Here in my little Kansas town, I bought a house, and I live in a quiet neighborhood. I am obliged to be a model citizen, not bother anyone, not frighten the children (who have yet to learn of their obligations), and not cause a societal wake by wearing my favorite girly outfits in public. I desire to see others happy, and I wish to be happy myself, so I oblige them. In my way of thinking, I’m doing both of us a favor, since outsiders are not obligated to understand crossdressing, and I am not obligated to be the designated spokesperson for deviancy. In other words, I constrain myself...

I’m not married, and I have no children, but what if I was married? I will have entered into a contract (of sorts), stating that I am male, and I really, really, really should REMAIN male for the good of the contract, and the relationship. The other party, the female, expects this (my apologies to proponents of same-sex marriage). When he wears, or desires to wear, her clothes, what happens to those promises you made, or the outward appearance you were obligated to put forth for HER benefit? Have you breached the contract by dressing against your gender? It is indeed a slippery slope, and I hope she is compassionate enough to throw you a lifeline, maybe even seeing love as a kind of obligation, compelling one to forgive, accept, and move forward. From my vantage point as a single crossdresser, I see males and females kept apart by obligations, some of them downright stifling, but these constraints seem to fuel the progress of civilization, itself a façade built upon obligatory assumptions and immorality...

One more thing – when you’re dressed, and look in the mirror, do obligations get in the way of enjoying your crossdressing? There are times when I think, “What happened to me?” only to smile and swish my girly skirt around, giggling like a pre-adolescent. As a male, I am obligated to not like these pretty things; in fact I am obligated to see females distantly, like sexual targets, while I move in for the socially-acceptable “kill.” I am obliged to want to bond with other males, go places I really don’t want to go, and do things I would rather leave to less gender-adventurous types. I am also compelled to watch sports, enjoy violence, look up to all leaders, and distrust my individuality. But, something is wrong, and I am obligated to obey my inner yearnings to be softer, gentler, civil (I admit it), yielding, quiet, and all things males are not supposed to be. To me, it is more important to obey these deep-seated longings, even though doing so will cause friction with outsiders steeped in their own obligations...

So, I continue to apply paint (shadow) above my eyes, in direct defiance of my obligations as a male. I also paint my lips, style my overly-long wig hair, dangle dainty earrings from my ears, alter my curves with all the necessary enhancements, and step into shoes that are impossibly tiny and impractical. Of course, once I’m dressed, there’s plenty of leg showing, albeit in a carefully orchestrated display of feminine modesty – after all, a girl must be aware of her obligations, right?

What do you think about obligations, specifically YOUR obligations?

PS – As far as I know, Picasso never grew a beard during his long life – does this mean he was actually a woman?
    [/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    Corporate American and their foreign associates are the entities dictating fashion. As a guy of the 1960's the teenage girls fought to show their legs, and, the guys encouraged them. Does a fourteen year old have the capital to produce fashion? But. a designer, a seller of fabric cannot make $$$ less they entice women to change the perception of alluring femininity. The young woman at Walgreens was probably out of place because the object of her enticement was not there. She was rather coming from or enroute.

My favorite picture of the young beautiful women I married is dressed in cut off jeans, a well used tee shirt, no shoes and wind swept hair. You cannot make a buck off that.

As to my obligations.... As a retiree they have passed. Debt free! Money to blow on feminine finery! I indulge my femininity with some restrictions because I still do sense an "obligation" to protect my wife from the narrow minded people who do not see past the outer garments. Yes, I am closeted out of my sense of obligation to not cause stress in my marriage. To cause unnecessary stress defeats the purpose of my inclination to be Stephanie.

We all have (or should have) obligations which temper our behavior, whether it is cross dressing or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    THEY are the ones with the obligatory short dresses, short skirts, and short shorts, so did someone, at some point, decide that females reveal and not conceal themselves? Who is rendering a service, and for whom?
    Women are no longer 'obliged' to show their legs. They know guys like pretty legs, so if they want to attract a greater number of guys, they show more leg (if they have pretty legs, anyway).
    We didn't make the 'rules'. Nature did. I know I didn't get to choose what I'm attracted to; if I could, I'd like to be turned on by ugly, short, fat, nasty, unhygienic females with no job, bad complexion, bad hair and a bad attitude. I'd be having so much sex that I'd have to quit my job.
    Besides, I know plenty of women who like guy's muscular legs as well, but they all find that secondary behind other things, like what he does for a living, his status in society, and his income. We didn't get to choose that, either.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I think you think too much.

i think she thinks to much too !!
    what about the obligation to the girl inside of me, the one supressed all my life because society expectations.
    i was born with the wrong body !!!!, but made to live acording to "birth" diffects.
    good for the ones that CAN show their legs, be happy.

Aspiring Member

not so fast there miss

Frédérique,
    I think that somewhere along the trail, the male of the species got off the track. If you look at much of the animal kingdon to which we belong, you will see that the female has an obligation to be a drab, yes drab little creature. The males are the colored ones, the builders who woo but get rejected for NOT having those feminine skills like decoration and painting. Many beetles are highly colored and much of what nature provides them is to attract a mate. It makes sense! We are supposed to be the brightly colored flower attracting the bee. The female wants it all--handsome, colorful, strong, helpful,etc.
    The history of costume illustrates that MAN has been largely the flamboyant dresser until relatively recently. The switch I think is that women have devised the means of competition and that includes SHORT SKIRTS, CLEAVAGE, spandex, all sorts of alluring coverings.
    We are not born with obligations, they are foisted upon us. WE ARE BORN tabula rasa We could have marched to our own drummer, but chose to toe the line. Religion, in part did that, but look at the vestments in the Catholic church! Fit for a king! I love Fellini's Papal fashion show in I think 8 1/2. The folks who would make us sinners and burn in you-know-where for eternity. They dress to the nines.At least the MALES are. the nuns are in the black habits, face nearly obscured--Mid Eastern in visage.
    I've great cleavage but the only thing I am obliged by society to do IS NOT SHOW IT.
    Why? competition?
    Short skirts on magazine covers sell magazines. The eyes have it.
    Last edited by busker; 04-28-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Perhaps in nature the male is more colorful so predators eat the male sparing the female and so when the female is attracted to the colorful male it is for her survival.

Perhaps sacrificing the male is natures hidden theme that men sense but do not articulate.

For obligations I kinda like The Oath of Maimonides......

The eternal providence has appointed me to watch over the life and health of Thy creatures. May the love for my art actuate me at all time; may neither avarice nor miserliness, nor thirst for glory or for a great reputation engage my mind; for the enemies of truth and philanthropy could easily deceive me and make me forgetful of my lofty aim of doing good to Thy children.

or I could join Zumanity and do my own interpretation of the Can Can but that would feel more like penance tinged with narcissism than obligatory social crucifiction.

Complex Lolita...
    [SIZE="2"]I have an unwritten rule that I rarely stick to – never submit a thread on a Saturday... [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila11
    I think you think too much.
    [SIZE="2"]You’re under no obligation to read what I write, and vice versa... [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Purple8229
    ???
    [SIZE="2"]Well, I can’t see what you wrote, but...oh, never mind. I DO love dioxazine violet very much, purple by any other name...

Thanks for the great advice, Cassidy!
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by busker
    I've great cleavage but the only thing I am obliged by society to do IS NOT SHOW IT. Why? Competition?
    [SIZE="2"]I think society is obligated to not entertain any surprises, not support deviancy, and not upset the carefully crafted framework that ignores people like us, all in the name of blessed procreation...[/SIZE]

Short skirts on magazine covers sell magazines. The eyes have it.
    [SIZE="2"]Exactly – I’m aware of this, but perhaps there’s more than meets the eye... [/SIZE]

Well, when I married my wife, I'll admit that an unwritten obligation was struck between us. I agreed to be her husband, by default a very male occupation, and she agreed to be my wife, defined as the woman in the relationship. I did not disclose that at times, I too, enjoyed taking on the female role. She since has learned of this, and is still not real thrilled by this revelation. So I keep my feminine endeavors to myself, and do my best to fulfill the male obligation.

But when I do pursue my feminine moments, I enjoy meeting the feminine obligation - at least to myself. I wear the pretty dresses, the long hair, the cute jewelry, the absurdly impractical shoes, the hosiery, the fingernails, and the paint above the eyes. Heck, I paint up my entire face, for that matter! And this meets the obligation that has developed within myself over these many years: to be, for even short moments, the woman I always wished I might have been.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

My mother would not travel on any Friday the 13th.
    As for thinking too much.
    Keep on thinking we need more thought here.
    A couple of months ago I saw the statue of "The thinker" in a park near the Eiffel Tower.
    Yes I thought about it a lot.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla
    So I keep my feminine endeavors to myself, and do my best to fulfill the male obligation.
    [SIZE="2"]I feel an obligation to my precious female clothes to BE a certain way, and this carries over into my male obligations – I am invariably shaved, polished, exhibiting more color, and shying away from all those obligatory male gestures that eschew effeminacy for brute strength. I do just enough, only what I have to do, and no more, to preserve all I hold dear and not arouse any suspicions. As a male I am obliged to NOT be who I really am, letting “her” out to dominate the proceedings, but my feminine obligations to my “self” are just as valid…[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly128
    As for thinking too much. Keep on thinking we need more thought here.
    [SIZE="2"]I appreciate the sentiment. Last night (or was it this morning?) I was going to say, “You are not obliged to think about things, but someone has to do it…” but I don’t feel that way. It’s not really thinking, it’s just wondering about these things we all take for granted, and writing it down to see if anyone is equally wondrous, or inquisitive. There are a lot of ways to look at crossdressing, and this IS a discussion forum, so let’s discuss issues in regards to crossdressing. I can get very deflated by thoughtless responses, but I am obliged to maintain my composure at all times. I have a simple technique to accomplish this – I just think of Cynthia Anne’s relentlessly positive prose, and any urge to post a poisonous reply, either warranted or not, vanishes without a trace. I have an obligation to behave myself, so I will not deflate others par dépit

PS -- Par dépit? It means “out of spite.”
    [/SIZE]

Well Freddy my obligations to being a man are melting away. Those obligations are now saved for family, wife, and social functions where Marleena might cause issues by appearing.

Shedding the male obligations are the best freedom for me. However Marleena does feel obligated to show off her legs at times, just doing her part for female imposed obligations.

Gold Member
    Yes; Thinking way to much.
    As long as I can remember, for way over 60 years, Girls have been showing off their legs.
    Go ask any Collage age man, and they will turn their heads at the site of a pretty set of legs.
    My advice is wake up. legs are past of every girl.
    Rader

Platinum Member
    I wouldn't consider that women are under any such obligation to reveal legs, cleavage or whatever. The girl you mention wasn't obliged, she was paid to look pretty. The picture simply took advantage of the natural human attraction to sell a magazine. Legs, slender figures, the curve of a woman's hips - all of us, male and female are alert to these cues. We're not obliged to respond, we're programmed to respond.

similarly, I don't have any obligation to present myself as a woman. Its somehow programmed inside me. I didn't chose it, I'm damned sure not paid for it...and its not for anyone elses benefit at all.