Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I was wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by BillieJoEllen View Post
    Whenever I pass or am passed on the stret or highway I always give a quick glance at the other driver. Look to see if theres a cute hairstyle, type of makeup being worn or the jewelry thats on display. It takes virtually no time and a quick image can last a long time.
    In that time can you ascertain if that person is male or female (really not just a guess)? It sounds like you only look at women, so if in your mind it is a male do you quit taking notes?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    The only time I pay attention to the driver of another car would be stopped at a light. Even then I play little attention to the person, much more to the direction they are moving their car!

It's likely that what happens is a tuning out as long as they are what you expect. I probably would notice a 3-year old behind the wheel! When it's at all normal, it's just part of the scenery!

tina

Banned Read only
    I watch the vehicle. If the vehicle is doing something erratic, then I try to observe the facial features of the occupants, ages, etc. That would give me some indication of the potential danger, e.g. elderly driver gripping the wheel. When out in en femme myself I was looked over twice. Once was traveling next to three young guys while I was wearing a red dress and blond wig (that's all that was visible). The second was next to a police car at a stop light. I was wearing the same blond wig, but, a white dress. Each time I had full makeup on. I was younger, so I did look better. But, still, I think the police officer probably could tell. However, he had no reason to make a traffic stop.

Basically, now I try to watch the head movements-looking down to text or holding a cell phone to the ear. I've been hit twice by persons using cell phones.

Interesting thread, Lorileah. Interesting for me to see how many people say they don't really notice other drivers. This confirms a long-standing theory of mine.

I'm not a driver myself. Haven't been behind the wheel of a car for about 35 years, so I'm a professional cyclist/pedestrian. And one thing I can tell you is that drivers don't see pedestrians and cyclists. I've long felt that drivers look out for what constitutes a threat/obstacle to them, which would be things like other cars, trees, traffic islands, etc. Since pedestrians and cyclists aren't a threat to them, and not much of an obstacle, either, drivers simply pay no attention to them.

I've learned to watch out for them, because they don't watch out for me. If there's a chance that a car might proceed or turn in front of me, I've learned to look at the driver's eyes. What is he/she looking at? More than likely it won't be me. They're looking for whatever might halt their progress. I can't count the times someone's gone right in front of me without even looking my way.

I've also had a couple of experiences that show me that even when a driver's seen me, he/she still hasn't seen me. They might momentarily notice you, but your presence doesn't really strike them. You're an anomaly on their radar screen, and they just ignore it. Unless a driver is going really slowly--e.g., in a parking lot--and you're right in front of them, generally speaking you might as well be invisible.

Drivers don't realize what a danger they are to others, mainly because they never even see what they're endangering. Here in Ireland, in an average year, one-third of all traffic fatalities are pedestrians. For me, that's an amazing statistic. But then again, maybe not so amazing, given that nobody sees us. Maybe I should try a short dress and high heels while I'm out and about. Then maybe people would notice me.

Best wishes, Annabelle

Well Lorileah I do notice because I pay attention to such things , most of the time while driving espesially highway driving I will where different shades of lipstick with the full realization that mayby one in a thousand may notice and if they did, which has happened twice , I simply smile, never had any encounters over it.

When driving, I never notice the people around me in other cars. Passing me or not. When riding in the passenger seat, I notice a lot more than I probably should
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Lori, yes I can ascertain whether that person is male or female (for the most part). I don't just look at women but I probably do pay more attention to them. And yes I do stop taking notes if its a male.

Assuming I have correctly interpreted the moral of this thread to be that no one looks carefully at drivers of other cars so we CD'ers shouldn't be so hyper about being clocked while driving, I'd like to add this question for the Board. Do you tend to gawk at other drivers more when you're driving in Drab? It's my personal observation that women tend to look straight ahead whether driving or stopped at a red light, and I usually do that, too, when I'm driving in CD mode, especially if I'm in an urban area. I've been told that this is a defensive mechanism which women adopt so they don't attract unwanted attention from male drivers or pedestrians who might misinterpret a look as a sexual come-on. I must admit, however, that I enjoy distracting the truck drivers on the interstate by driving with my dress pulled up a bit and my knees just a tiny bit further apart than a real lady would do. If only they knew, lol!