Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The younger generation has no sense of style!

If the future brings all those Buck Rogers jumpsuits and the whole unisex look then I'll be so glad to be Retro. There are so many looks that you can revive that are feminine and sexy without being trashy.
    I love the Flapper look and want to do that this year for Halloween.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I have to differ. I don't think that a half slip constitutes a sense of fashion. I see lots of younger people who look great. They aren't emulating their mothers or grandmother's styles...but then neither did women of my mother or grandmother's generations.

String theories are just that. A theory. As far as the glass surface on a stove, clean it with a good hammer and then go get a real stove.

I like current trends for women's fashion EXCEPT for the lack of pantyhose now days.

To each their own, I guess.

It just seems that most younger girls cannot really be bothered to dress up unless it is their prom wedding or some social event that requires fancy dress .I have seen many times girls walking up town in the malls etc with their pj bottoms on tsk tsk
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

Lol this sound like what my SO and I do almost every night. It's really good when we don't play nice and get p*ssed about issues like welfare. We both like to debate for the sake of debate. It's also nice when we are saying the same thing, but we will keep debating anyway. We spent the entire month of January debating at each other whenever the other person would bring up the Theory of Everything.

Oddly enough, clothing evolution has popped up in our debates a few times. A common theme was a debate as to whether CDs would exist if all clothing styles were leveled...if, basically, everyone could wear what they wanted. I imagined that in this case, it would be a mish mosh of clothing with no specific gender goal in mind. The debate came in because many CDs say that male-designed skirt, heels, etc. are not an attractive option because these are men's clothes (though they were designed after female clothes). Women's clothes have done this...we have our own suits, pants, etc. Most women wear the female-designed clothing, and see no reason to wear the male predecessor design. But, many CDs here were saying that they would still choose the female clothing item over the male item. So, we got into whether it's about wearing the clothes you want, or specifically that you want to wear the clothes of the opposite sex. And, in a society where there were no gender-specified clothing, hair styles, etc. would there be CDs?

Anyway, in the society I talk about above, people might find it absurd that we defined clothing by gender. Probably just absurd as I find it that people actually Chose to wear wigs that were white hair. I can't wrap my head around some Victorian clothing styles either.

I will admit that I still have to wear slips. Some dresses just really do call for a slip, and they were absolutely required for my sorority's formal/ritual clothing. White dresses were really important for our formal events, so a slip is just common sense.

However, most of my dresses have slips built into them. It's not really the "liner" because many of my "Sunday dinner" dresses have what literally looks like a full-slip sewn to the dress. It's rather nice for July in Alabama. Usually this material is a bit more breathable than your standard silk slip.

But, I also like to NOT wear Sunday dinner dresses. Many of my dresses are so tight that a slip defeats the purpose. I guess some older people would say that's not modest and wasn't done in their generation (btw, YEAH RIGHT). But, I wear my tight dresses anyway. In fact, I love it when people hate on how I look/what I wear. The more haters the better, because it means I look so good that it literally pisses you off lol. So, no, THESE dresses do not call for slips. But, sorority wear, church, family events, business events still call for a slip...in the Deep South, at least.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Shananigans View Post
    The debate came in because many CDs say that male-designed skirt, heels, etc. are not an attractive option because these are men's clothes (though they were designed after female clothes). Women's clothes have done this...we have our own suits, pants, etc. Most women wear the female-designed clothing, and see no reason to wear the male predecessor design. But, many CDs here were saying that they would still choose the female clothing item over the male item. So, we got into whether it's about wearing the clothes you want, or specifically that you want to wear the clothes of the opposite sex. And, in a society where there were no gender-specified clothing, hair styles, etc. would there be CDs?
    I don't think it's about specific styles, colors, fabrics so much (even though many members here have said it is), as it is wearing the clothes that are tailored for women, with room for bust and hips. If we all wore the same things, same colors, etc, we'd still have CDers wearing breast forms and hip pads so they could fit into women's clothing and their bodies would look feminine.

My SO made an observation years ago: if the visible differences between men and women were hair and skin color (i.e. if all reproductive organs were internal but women had no scalp hair and a green skin color), CDers would paint their faces green and shave their heads.
    Reine

Silver Member
    A common theme was a debate as to whether CDs would exist if all clothing styles were leveled...if, basically, everyone could wear what they wanted. I imagined that in this case, it would be a mish mosh of clothing with no specific gender goal in mind. The debate came in because many CDs say that male-designed skirt, heels, etc. are not an attractive option because these are men's clothes (though they were designed after female clothes).
    I think this is the wrong group of people to honestly discuss what women 'should' and 'shouldn't' be wearing... Plenty of CDs here are super attracted to the idea of dressing up all fancy shmancy... more-so than the general female population I'm sure. So of course they thing all women should be dressing up as much as they do :P

I'm a woman every minute of every day. I don't want to spend a ton of time getting ready and being all uncomfortable because "i'm a woman and that's how women should dress."

I'm a woman and I dress comfortably and functionally. 95% of the time that's jeans and a t-shirt and no makeup. I'm not all super into women's cloths like some CDers are so why would I go through all that trouble?

The thing about slips (especially full-slips) is that they add a little extra special to life. I can still remember back in my younger days when my sisters and mother wouldn't even flinch if they were seen around the house wearing their slips. Remove their slips and they would be in a panic mode. Women embraced them as underwear but not quite underwear. I believe thats one reason that slips were so femininely designed. All that lace and smooth texture. They didn't really mind being seen in them.

Remember Elizabeth Taylor in 'Butterfield 8'? She looked fantastic.

Sometime in the 1990s Oprah was interviewing someone about fashion. Slips came up. The woman said that because of the more opaque materials being used now that slips weren't really necessary. Oprah asked "Women don't need to wear slips anymore? OK". Slips have been on a decline ever since.

And Reine has a good point about CDers wanting to wear the same exact thing that women wear. I well remember the line that Wendy spoke in the movie 'I Want What I Want'. "I don't care if women wear sackcloth and ashes, I'd still rather wear them".

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    What's a slip???

That's when you say something you really wish you hadn't.

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post

I'll be fielding all comers while wearing a very pretty dress, hosiery, heels.......and a lacy slip.
    Hear, hear! A girl after my own heart. The others may wear what they like, but for me, what's the point of dressing if you don't dress pretty? Anyway, my mother and sister always wore a slip, but that has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Annabelle

Some of my dresses are made of sheer material, so I need to wear slips under them to be modest. I usually do not wear slips if the dress is made of thicker material that is barely see thru or not able to see thru.

thats not done ..... I am !8 and I have much better sense in style being a Fashion Designer .... !!!!!!!!

Girl, you just go on with ya bad self! I feel you! I had on a pair of pantyhose today (presentation for class), and I was so hot that I had to take the damn things off in the parking lot. (I was in my car). The guy in the truck that pulled up beside me nearly had a stroke. And, to be honest, I know I should have worn the damn pantyhose with the dress...but, I just wasn't going to be squeezed any longer. If I had a slip on, I would have pulled it off too!

May in Alabama and I am supposed to wear this crap...people are out of their minds...

I do feel I have to dress a certain way at times...but, I agree...it should be up to the person. There are people out there that just don't do slips and pantyhose and I can't blame them. I am honestly never wearing pantyhose again...this was the last straw. ...I mean, maybe, in the winter with cute skirts. But, that's it! And, I will probably stick to thigh highs for the rest of summer... Alright, I am just a lost cause. I always like the idea of an outfit until I am actually wearing it. Much like the idea of a slip is nice...you have less lines, more modesty, it whisks sweat away from your clothes. But, in practicality it is one more layer, and I feel like I am wrapped up in a burrito of clothing.

I would probably wear cute clothes for longer if I lived in a cooler environment...but, then, I'd have to leave the South and I am a Southern girl to the bone.

I think my ideal outfit now would be a summer dress (flowy)...that required no bra (I hate bras in the summer)...no slip required...a beer hat that was always cold, a battery powered fan attached to me and blowing at my face...and Chacos. But, it's never going to happen.

Also, I'd like to note that I spent 20 minutes on my makeup this morning and it melt off...my face literally melted off...my eyeliner was on my cheeks. This does not motivate me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bree_K View Post
    I think this is the wrong group of people to honestly discuss what women 'should' and 'shouldn't' be wearing... Plenty of CDs here are super attracted to the idea of dressing up all fancy shmancy... more-so than the general female population I'm sure. So of course they thing all women should be dressing up as much as they do :P

I'm a woman every minute of every day. I don't want to spend a ton of time getting ready and being all uncomfortable because "i'm a woman and that's how women should dress."

I'm a woman and I dress comfortably and functionally. 95% of the time that's jeans and a t-shirt and no makeup. I'm not all super into women's cloths like some CDers are so why would I go through all that trouble?
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Purple8229 View Post
    I actually like the present generations style. Cute wedge or high heels, layered 'tops' look over tights or leggings, manicured painted nails, pretty hairsyles and ornaments....and that's just the guys!
    I like this answer.lol.

Well the young women here at work are dressing up more today than anyone has over the last 20 years!! Like dresses and skirts and heels. Makes working here a lot more pleasant! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

tv tells me will be wearing skin tight suits that are identical to each other in every way lol, I love todays styles because they show off the beauty of women (or men hehe) by showing off curves and lovely looking bosoms, not that the eightys didn't but nowadays skinny pants aren't so tacky, your daughter reminds me off my older sister tough, now I'm smart in my own categorys, but its all bent up inside my insomniac mind, she on the other hand is holly crap batman smart and pulls it all together in a nice package, and shes beautiful too oh how I envy her sometimes, she got good grades (I used to aswell before my hidden add reared its head I'm only figuring it out now and reclaiming some of my rightful thought prowess), she even went to rutgers and nows shes an english teacher, sometimes I wish she new how much I would love to be like her. any who to the future my friends may it bring lovelier styles than today and yesterday

Silver Member
    Girl, you just go on with ya bad self! I feel you! I had on a pair of pantyhose today (presentation for class), and I was so hot that I had to take the damn things off in the parking lot. (I was in my car). The guy in the truck that pulled up beside me nearly had a stroke. And, to be honest, I know I should have worn the damn pantyhose with the dress...but, I just wasn't going to be squeezed any longer. If I had a slip on, I would have pulled it off too!

May in Alabama and I am supposed to wear this crap...people are out of their minds...

I do feel I have to dress a certain way at times...but, I agree...it should be up to the person. There are people out there that just don't do slips and pantyhose and I can't blame them. I am honestly never wearing pantyhose again...this was the last straw. ...I mean, maybe, in the winter with cute skirts. But, that's it! And, I will probably stick to thigh highs for the rest of summer... Alright, I am just a lost cause. I always like the idea of an outfit until I am actually wearing it. Much like the idea of a slip is nice...you have less lines, more modesty, it whisks sweat away from your clothes. But, in practicality it is one more layer, and I feel like I am wrapped up in a burrito of clothing.

I would probably wear cute clothes for longer if I lived in a cooler environment...but, then, I'd have to leave the South and I am a Southern girl to the bone.

I think my ideal outfit now would be a summer dress (flowy)...that required no bra (I hate bras in the summer)...no slip required...a beer hat that was always cold, a battery powered fan attached to me and blowing at my face...and Chacos. But, it's never going to happen.

Also, I'd like to note that I spent 20 minutes on my makeup this morning and it melt off...my face literally melted off...my eyeliner was on my cheeks. This does not motivate me.
    I totally want to move up north... I just can't seem to wear too little cloths in this weather... yuck!

I drove by a Hooters yesterday and saw the staff out in the parking lot playing some kind of sport. I just felt bad for them being out there in those thick pantyhose... oye!

I don't wear slips, of coarse they don't really go with the short skirts I wear.

Glutten for punishment CHEVELLE's Avatar
    I'm sure even back in the previois's generations younger days all the "groups" had they're own style the fear heads with their leathers the athletes with their lettermen jackets (or from what my mom said letter sweaters for the female) the cowboys and cowgirls with their style. I wasn't alive then and I don't watch alot of movies or tv shows from that era so I can't point to female examples. Well our generation is alot more intense with that. Its not that we lack style its that our style is more intense depending on where we feel we fit socially for example most people used music which is where it seems to stem from. I personally listen only to heavy metal and country with the bulk being heavy metal so PERSONALLY my style will be mostly leather skirts black metal shirt tops pale pale foundation black lipstick black nail polish and black lip liner and eyeshadow. Same as what my wife wears when she wears makeup and dresses mostly she wears jeans and a metal t shirt and I personally feel that's a good look for my "group" or "genre" but I would like to dress up nice from time to time.
    • [SIZE="7"][/SIZE]

13 times and its been lucky for me...AFTER ALL THE THINGS YOU STILL WANT ME TO BE....... 13 ways to see the devil in my eyes because I stood here 13 times and i'm still alive.
    But my dreams they aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be. I have hours only lonely. my love is vengeance that's never free

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    That's true!

When I get nostalgic, it is not over slips, girdles, or whatever else were the styles of the 50s, but the tie-die, flowers-in-your-long-straight-hair-parted-in-the-middle, peasant blouse, and hip hugger styles of the 60s/70s.
    Amen Reine..

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    What's a slip???

That's when you fall down, and, go boom..!

Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_CDTV View Post
    In addition to protecting one's modesty when wearing clothing that might be a bit see thru (especially necessary many years ago when skirts and dresses were not all lined,or keep a bra from showing through a white top), slips help protect clothing from perspiration (back when clothing was much more expensive than today), it also can help a skirt or dress hang better and move better when one walks, and helps protect against visible panty line (or visible garter tabs for that matter.)

Of course, some wear them because they are very pretty and feel very nice and sensual (mostly male bodied folks I would imagine) which enhances the sensual experience of wearing a dress or skirt and nylons etc.
    They were also worn because some of the materials of the time were not that comfortable against the skin.

Oddly enough, clothing evolution has popped up in our debates a few times. A common theme was a debate as to whether CDs would exist if all clothing styles were leveled....
    I said it before, I'll say it again, for me personally, it has NOTHING to do with the fact its women's clothing, if I could find (and I have, and purchased them instantly) Men's clothing, in the same materials, in colorful prints, with lace, I Wouldn't be buying women's clothing.

NOW, as for the younger generation, I am a schoolbus driver, and I think most people are only noticing the negative end of the spectrum, there are a LOT of young ladies, and men, that REALLY dress nice when going to school, sure, there at the guys that have their jeans down around their thighs, showing their boxers, and girls in Extreme mini's, and in tops that could double as mini's. BUT, I see plenty of young men in nice slacks, "polished" shoes and button down shirts, and young ladies in nice dresses or "decent" skirts & blouses. ON that note, several months ago, a high school girl went to get on my bus, and was wearing a LONG, very tight pencil skirt with no slit, she couldn't make the step up from the ground to the first step of the bus, one of the boys at the stop wound up lifting her onto the bus.
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

My mother taught me that a lady always wears a slip. So that's what I do. I hope no one's going to argue with my mother.

Annabelle