Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we the "cockroaches" of society?

Complex Lolita...

Are we the "cockroaches" of society?

[SIZE="2"]In case you missed it, Sean Harris, a Baptist pastor in North Carolina, said this last Sunday... [/SIZE]

"So your little son starts to act a little girlish when he is four years old and instead of squashing that like a cockroach and saying, 'Man up, son, get that dress off you and get outside and dig a ditch, because that is what boys do,' you get out the camera and you start taking pictures of Johnny acting like a female and then you upload it to YouTube and everybody laughs about it and the next thing you know, this dude, this kid is acting out childhood fantasies that should have been squashed. Dads, the second you see your son dropping the limp wrist, you walk over there and crack that wrist. Man up. Give him a good punch. Ok? You are not going to act like that. You were made by God to be a male and you are going to be a male.”

[SIZE="2"]This pernicious diatribe was trotted out in support of anti-gay legislation coming up for a vote, but I see that support among North Carolinians for the proposed anti-gay Amendment 1 has dropped to a record low. That’s good. I consign this venomous outpouring to the “lunatic fringe” of conservative thought, if there is such a thing, but I think Pastor Harris merely voiced what he feels every self-proclaimed "decent" American is thinking. I actually came across this anti-crossdressing bashing on a discussion forum for artists, and I was going to contribute to the thread in Media, but I thought I would look a little further into this curious notion of MtF crossdressers being “cockroaches” instead...

A cockroach is a pest, specifically an insect; in fact pests, by definition, are destructive insects. Of course, human beings can be likened to insects if they are small, unimportant, or contemptible – if we were small and unimportant, why even mention us? Well, we crossdressers, seen as homosexual by anyone unfamiliar with the broad slice of society and myriad sexualities we represent, are pestiferous – this means we are, by what we represent, dangerous to morals or to the welfare of society. They’re talking, or thinking, about gays, but we, the boys who dress like girls, are put forth as a glaring example of effeminate behavior, something that they feel needs to be squashed, much like a bug, if society is to survive...

It’s all about morals as they pertain to procreation. Sometime last year I wrote a thread about this, stating that, when you come right down to it, “It’s all about procreation.” All conservative individuals see us as a problem, because we may be deviating from the straight and narrow that keeps society moving along. Of course, there are conservative MtF crossdressers, but let’s not let truth spoil the fun just yet! Every member of society is expected to do his or her “duty,” under the watchful eyes of the supreme being of your choice, and this means boys will be boys, girls will be girls, and never the twain shall meet, unless procreation is on the menu. To this end, the boy cannot subvert his “chances,” or his expectations, by willfully ditching his manhood; in fact he has to exhibit virtuous, manly behavior to attract a mate and perpetuate society...

More importantly, a boy has to grow into his role as a man, and conduct the direction of his actions toward moral or spiritual “development.” This means not doing anything in defiance of his birth gender, such as wear panties, create breasts from scratch, or paint his lips in a pleasing shade of deviancy. No, he has to attract girls, by being attractive to them, and they, in turn, are supposed to look attractive for his sake. In this heady atmosphere of heterosexual expectations, you may be able to understand why same-sex marriage is seen as so threatening to the status quo, namely those ignorant people who cannot conceive such a revelatory thing. Tolerance is slow in coming, in the bastions of conservatism, but at least it IS coming for homosexuals – meanwhile, little Johnny, the boy in the dress, needs to be squashed like a cockroach before his “expression” is encouraged. This is very sad...

A boy wearing a dress may be engaging in a cute anomaly that might soon pass, no big deal, and he will soon revert to his inherently boyish nature. Or, it may be the beginning of a lifestyle, and little Johnny will spend the rest of his life straddling the genders others keep apart for the good of society. You are what you are, from my point of view, but try telling that to someone who insists on “going by the book,” and not deviating one iota from this imaginary chalk line we are supposed to follow. I mean, who says I’m not virtuous in my sexual conduct? Who says I am devoid of ethics? Also, who says that I’m so dangerous to society that I need to be squashed, suppressed, or eliminated like some kind of human pest? Looking around, I see many MtF crossdressers who are happily married, with children in the mix, managing to keep their crossdressing alive against any odds that may come their way – it isn’t easy, but we are a benign presence, living peacefully in an increasingly hostile environment, doing our collective duty...

Whenever I hear someone decry homosexuality, or MtF crossdressing, or whatever it may be, I assume that the person most likely had his or her cherished expression squashed at the very moment of discovery, and they go on a crusade of misery for the rest of their lives. Is it really that bad when a boy wishes to dress as a girl? I mean, even if he keeps doing it, in defiance of all he sees and hears, what’s the big deal? There are so many people in the world, individuals all, and there is plenty of room for experimentation along gender lines, wouldn’t you say? The relatively small number of deviants we represent will not invert society, or stop the world from spinning; in fact I don’t see us having any effect at all, if procreation is what worries everyone. In any event, if you squash me, many more will take my place, tuned-in to this NATURAL urge that cannot be stopped...

In my way of thinking, it is not moral to denounce any aspect of human behavior, just because you cannot understand it, or will not tolerate it. And yet, the moral mouthpieces of society do just that, doing us, and themselves, a disservice. The condition of my health, prosperity, and happiness is forever linked to MtF crossdressing, and I am imbued with the courage of my convictions. In other words, I’m RIGHT, and I always will be right – this attitude came about because I, the boy who wanted to dress like a girl, was not squashed like some pathetic insect. I was allowed to flourish within the parameters of society, albeit somewhere near the edges, but I have survived intact. It is WRONG to squash hopes and dreams, no matter what they may be, and it is very wrong to impose a “one size fits all” type of conduct on blessed individuality...

Don’t tread on ME! Don’t punch me, either – I’ll just cry...

Well, I’m off to “do” La Cucaracha! Thanks for reading...
    [/SIZE]

Dear Frederique...
    Your analysis is a little long-winded, but articulate and fully on the mark. I completely agree with you...
    While we're on the subject of squashing, I'd love to see this self-righteous creep squashed like a cockroach! What a venom-spewing hatemonger!
    Sorry but this stuff brings out the worst in me... especially having suffered from a physically abusive father who derided anyone that was in the least bit different.
    Kayla C
    Last edited by Kayla C; 05-04-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: unladylike

Banned Read only
    Sad fact is, the world is full of ignorant people like pastor Harris. What makes it far worse, is that because of the internet and all the various media outlets today, far more folks will read his nonsense and similar garbage from others and feel bad or possibly humiliated or somehow "guilty" because of who they are or what they do in [all likelihood] the privacy of their own home.

Like all things, this interconnected world we live in today, is a double edged sword.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    We may be like the "Cockroaches" in one sense only. It is accepted that in the long run it will be the cockroach that survives and thrives long after man has shot his last wad. In the moral sense of our world, I firmly believe we are the cockroach that will prevail long after false self serving moralists have shot themselves and their brethren in the foot. We will survive.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Sean Harris, the Baptist minister is the cockroach of society.
    Did he ever ask how you felt? Did he ever demonstrate any concern for those who are gay, les, or trans? Did he ever want to find out what their struggles are truly like?

How about the fact that he advocates parents committing acts of violence toward their own children? You can actually read some passages in the Bible that do advocate this, such as certain passages of Leviticus or Deuteronomy from the Old Testament. There's nothing "Christian" about it, because it's all Hebrew scripture, and before Jesus. .....thus the hypocrisy. I don't want to get into a reigious or political discussion, but this man is wrong on so many levels.

Aligning her body & soul sierra_g's Avatar
    Not to get all Biblical, but the Bible says (not exact words)...
    ...that all are sinners in the eyes of God
    ...that all sins are of equal weight
    ...that nobody on Earth has the right to judge what another is doing
    ...that anyone who puts faith in Jesus Christ will be forgiven by God
    ...that Jesus died for all sinners sins past and future
    ...that you don't spread hate, but instead spread love
    ...many other passages that go against what this guy said

The world is more complex than anyone can comprehend. There are forces at work that no one will ever understand. We are still learning about the human body, and we have theories of what might be at the bottom of the ocean. We are still very young and still don't know ANYTHING for sure. That guy is acting dumb.

Everyone is doing well with this pathetic, hateful, and violent Harris. My little addition is my favorite line from any play:

"Nothing human disgusts me, Mr. Shannon, unless it is unkind..."

Hannah Jelks, _Night of the Iguana_

freddy i don't know how to say this but you are one of the most intelligent people i know, your words speak so true and with such focus, look at me have a little man crush on you, your posts speak so much albiet in not so few words and since I have add I tend not to be able to read all of it all the time, but I know I'm smart just incredibly unfocused so when I take the time to read your full posts you should know there is something special in the words you say, now after my strange words are over I'll get back on subject.
    I live in pretty much a hick town and they're all as closed minded as possible, my girly side had been crushed more times than flys on the ceiling (not by me though I tend to think of each creature as having a soul, and well if something bigger than you came along one day would you like to have you're life halted right then and there under their feet), if you showed any sign you weren't chuck norris manly you were classified as gay and seeing as I'm not I became a bottled up shell of nothing, never trusting anyone I wasn't close friends with. And so when my urges started to peak and the shell began to crack, I hated myself more and it only drew my urges to expand and although I'm still hiding it I'm still a bit ashamed just a little mind you but I've come to love the female side of me, even though I still hate how I look as a dude. My point being that little kid who wants to wear that dress can't be bottled up or it'll lead to a path of self hate and destruction.
    Society needs to learn as a whole that lines and borders are set to RESTRICT us, don't follow them. revoult against them. Our nation was founded by the outcasts of the old world, people who couldn't stand the restictions, and so they founded this place and yet I still can't travel out the door in a dress without the chance of having my legs blown to bits by hick neighbors. Fight the power my flower childs and you shall see all that was meant to be! Thats kinda catchy might have to have a new siggy but that would mean no fight club and there I go off into my own tagent, but if this is still being read keep telling it like it is and should be freddy we're all listening

Does he imagine that trying to browbeat a gender-variant child into gender conformance produces anything but a self-hating gender-variant adult?

If so, he's the delusional, ignorant one. But we already knew that, didn't we? One look at threads here shows what that attitude produces twenty, thirty, fifty years on. (And I don't mean to say that you're all self-hating, but that gender variance doesn't go away.)

In an Enigma,surrounded by a Black Hole,inside a Conundrum
    I caught some of that on talk radio today...it is what it is..won`t let it bother me
    "it all unfolds before your eyes ,let Merlin cast his spell" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No way am I going to get into an intellectual analysis with Freddy. I know and understand my limitations. Suffice it to say, you are awesome, and in my own special way, I love you. Thanks for giving all of us a rational framework so we can ask and answer the questions as to "why".

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'd LUV two ad a rimork heer. Butt, eryone no rooches cain't tipe r spl!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Aspiring Member

Survivors

Just a thought, cockroaches were around before the dinosaurs and they are still here. If we are cockroaches we are also SURVIVORS. We CD-folk survive the ill-will of society and yet we persevere. May the 'good' reverend go the way of the dinosaurs too, and quickly.

Just my opinion.

Hugs,
    Sandra1746

The very act of being a moral mouthpiece is immoral because it is done by those who wish to exploit the fear and ignorance of others to their advantage. They do not think or care about the consequences of their actions but only what they may gain for themselves. They are the echo of all the tyrants that have come before them and the more power they are given the more destruction they will bring, they only feel alive when the air is filled with hate. They are the true cockroaches that survive the nuclear blast and always seem to be in our midsts

Miriam
    Yet another instance of religion fostering hate and suppression rather than love and expression - a great tradition of most religions. Perhaps we should pray for his soul ;-)

I expressed in a recent response to another of Freddy's OPs that I couldn't feel superior to anyone. I think I found an exception now, and I'd love to squash each and every one like him.

Miriam

I know many in the LGBT community and most are kind, compassionate people, with some notable exceptions, roaches are people like Pastor Sean Harris, who pervert Jesus teachings.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Joslyn View Post
    freddy i don't know how to say this but you are one of the most intelligent people i know, your words speak so true and with such focus, look at me have a little man crush on you, your posts speak so much albiet in not so few words and since I have add I tend not to be able to read all of it all the time, but I know I'm smart just incredibly unfocused so when I take the time to read your full posts you should know there is something special in the words you say, now after my strange words are over I'll get back on subject.
    I live in pretty much a hick town and they're all as closed minded as possible, my girly side had been crushed more times than flys on the ceiling (not by me though I tend to think of each creature as having a soul, and well if something bigger than you came along one day would you like to have you're life halted right then and there under their feet), if you showed any sign you weren't chuck norris manly you were classified as gay and seeing as I'm not I became a bottled up shell of nothing, never trusting anyone I wasn't close friends with. And so when my urges started to peak and the shell began to crack, I hated myself more and it only drew my urges to expand and although I'm still hiding it I'm still a bit ashamed just a little mind you but I've come to love the female side of me, even though I still hate how I look as a dude. My point being that little kid who wants to wear that dress can't be bottled up or it'll lead to a path of self hate and destruction.
    Society needs to learn as a whole that lines and borders are set to RESTRICT us, don't follow them. revoult against them. Our nation was founded by the outcasts of the old world, people who couldn't stand the restictions, and so they founded this place and yet I still can't travel out the door in a dress without the chance of having my legs blown to bits by hick neighbors. Fight the power my flower childs and you shall see all that was meant to be! Thats kinda catchy might have to have a new siggy but that would mean no fight club and there I go off into my own tagent, but if this is still being read keep telling it like it is and should be freddy we're all listening
    First Point I want to make: Not that I'm a big Chuck Norris fan, mainly because he's not a good actor rather than because of his beliefs, but in one of his movies his character voiced the line that, "The bravest man I ever knew was a homosexual."

Second Point I want to make: Organized religion is one of the plagues inflicted upon Humanity when Pandora opened her box.

Third Point I want to make: Any crossdresser who considers herself to be a Political Conservative in present day America is probably parnoid.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyJameson View Post
    The very act of being a moral mouthpiece is immoral because it is done by those who wish to exploit the fear and ignorance of others to their advantage. They do not think or care about the consequences of their actions but only what they may gain for themselves. They are the echo of all the tyrants that have come before them and the more power they are given the more destruction they will bring, they only feel alive when the air is filled with hate. They are the true cockroaches that survive the nuclear blast and always seem to be in our midsts
    I think Kelly has said it for me. Besides minority groups like us are the easiest to attack because we are different from the general public.

It's easy to go along with the crowd. Much more difficult to be an individual. Most of us have chosen the more difficult path.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Hi, Freddy! Good post. This issue is currently being discussed on the Media Forum, where there's a link that allows you to listen to the man himself. The discussion on that thread is getting a bit vitriolic now.

The whole affair is a bit chilling for me since that's the type of atmosphere I grew up in. As soon as I got old enough, I ran far, far away.

As regards cockroaches, this is the "Transgender Battle Cry" that I came up with not long ago:

"We are Transgender, and we are like cockroaches! We're everywhere, and you can't get rid of us!"

Best wishes, Annabelle

I agree with you Frédérique.

The unfortunate people who don't feel alive or safe unless they are attacking someone because they are not on the "normal" baseline are the people I do feel sorry for. Perhapse they are the one's with the mental defect.
    The other people or "roaches" such as Sean Harris. Are the people who need to be removed. The USA was founded by a group of square peg's that did not fit anywhere other than here. I should think our four fathers are spinning in there graves because of people like this.
    To tell a child he or she can't explore self is a travesty. If from that one act we loose the cure for cancer or a artist who can paint, or move people like you do Freddy. Is a tragedy for all. All because someones father / mother said that is wrong you are a girl / man act like it.
    A prisoner in a kings disguise - Styx

Yet if a girl is a tomboy it is ok it is cute don't worry ? Bullys need to put other people down to make themselves feel better
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

So I am a cockroach and to be hated. What the heck I can live with that. Opinions of people I can't respect do not annoy me.

Vieja

Pastor Harris is just trying to spread the love of the Christian church, to the rest of the world, he just wants to save your soul! I got that all out and kept a straight face while I typed it. Give me a break, the man wants to be on the TV, he wants everyone talking about him, so he hits out at some stupid thing like this, and everybody puts him on the air, he doesn't care what you think of him, as long s you think of him, he is a media *****, best to be ignored. State after state, polls show people are getting used to the idea of gay marriage, adoption, and many other things that Harris and his type are against, times they are a changing, and people like that will do what they have to to slow it down, or stop it if they can, but most of the world does not want to go back wards. He is just a bug on the windshield of life, a mess to have to look at, but no real treat to the windshield.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

As expected, Frederique, well-written and thought provoking. I'm glad you qualified your "All conservatives" comment with "Of course, there are conservative MtF crossdressers, but let’s not let truth spoil the fun just yet!" (Yeah, I tend to lean to the right on a lot of things. I may be a minority around here and it's likely a sign that I might be "loosening up" a bit, but I was always a tolerant, live-and-let-live kind of person.) That said, there is not one comment in your post or in any of the responses that I disagree with. I've always endeavored to at least try to understand both sides of an issue which brings me to:

Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    Did he ever want to find out what their struggles are truly like?
    Why in the world would Mr. Harris want to "sicken" himself by reading up on such "abhorrent behavior" and try to appreciate or at least understand what people who don't think like him may go through? (That was, of course, rhetorical and I hope the sarcasm came through... kind of difficult to do in this medium.)

Your question, Nathalie, is I believe, at the root of a lot--if not all--of the intolerance of anything different, regardless of religion, politics or even to an extent, social status. It doesn't seem likely that Harris bothered to try.

I also can't help but wonder if there isn't some projection in his tirade... has anyone looked to see what's in his closet?