Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you shop for clothes for your SO?

Do you shop for clothes for your SO?

About a month ago, I went shopping for my wife to buy her some clothes at Catherine's. She had a pulmonary embolism a couple of years ago. It is very hard for her to stand very long without running out of breath. She wanted some new blouses so she asked me if I would go and buy some for her. I went to Catherine's and picked out some blouses. I took some pictures on my iPhone of the blouses and sent them to her for her approval. She picked out the ones she liked and I paid for them. I think it was because of my feminine side that I was comfortable to be able to go into a women's clothing store to look for clothes for my wife. I don't think too many males would do this act of kindness. How does your CDing allow you to do things that most men wouldn't do for their SO because it threatens their "maleness"?

I shop for my SO numerous times throughout the year. I usually do it during holidays. I've never had any trouble except one time I bought myself twelve pair of panties and my wife twelve pair. The SA saw the amount and made a comment and kind of looked at me funny. I don't know what she thought but I didn't really care.

I think you may be surprised. I think many men in your situation with your wife's would be happy to go shopping and not worry about their masculinity. It would take something like illness or such to get them to think about doing it though and I am not sure that their taste would be very good. So we definitely have the advantage there.

My wife hated shopping so she was thrilled when I would buy her outfits. I think we do have an advantage
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

A number of times during my 33 year marriage I went with my wife as she shopped for clothes, boots, ect/ It took a great deal of will power on my part from taking a more active role as a co shopper. I never revealed my secret attraction to female clothes, cosmetics, lingerie, during our marraige, and at most dressed about 4 times a month. I do it every day now.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Lorileagh,

I think I did ok. I only returned one blouse out of the eight I picked out. I pretty much know what she likes. I just have to remember to not pick things I would wear. We have different tastes for the most part. She doesn't like to wear skirts much but I do for example.

I sure do but I also use my "wife" as a way out when shopping with friends. So I picked up this top for me of course and asked my friend do you think this will fit my wife her answer was heck no. I had to look at her for a minute. Also when out dressed at out local lesbian restaurant our friends want to call me by my guy name.

My wife hates shopping for clothes, and is always jealous when I find nice things while out shopping. So now we have a standing agreement that I'm supposed to keep an eye out for things in her size as well when I'm out shopping for myself.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Gold Member
    I have shopped for clothes for my wife for years. I know her size, and likes and
    dislikes, and hates. I bet I get it rite about 95 % of the time. It is a rare thing
    when I have to return something because of she not liking it.
    Over the years, you get much practice. Now when I go shopping, I just get what i want
    and no SA is going to give me the "Look"
    Rader

i don't have a SO. but i do have a partner and a sister i buy clothes for. usually when i'm buying something for myself. i would see something they would like. my sis lives far away so if she posts something she likes, i ask her how much does she like it. then i buy it for her.

Senior Member Jacqueline Winona's Avatar
    Rarely, She doesn't like my choices usually, but she does appreciate the effort. I occasionally get one right, but usually if alone I am going to get it wrong, and with her, it's hard to have the patience, as try as I might, I don't understand the thought process involved in selecting just the right thing.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I shop for my wife all of the time. We go out together and shop as well. Several years ago, a female friend and I went out Christmas shopping together. She doesn't know about me. She was looking for some presents for her family and I was looking for a gift for my wife. At the end of the evening, my friend commented on what a good shopper I was. Things like that make you feel good.
    Dana Ryan

When I shop for my wife, I normally buy jumpers, blouses etc. But I leave well alone her bra's etc.

My wife & I have totally different tastes in clothing, she hates dresses, nylons etc where I love them so shopping for her would not be a good idea

My SO has bought me shorts and swimsuits. I ended up wearing the shorts, but not the swimsuits. At least he tried. I appreciate it.

No, they would just know it's for me anyways.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Gold Member
    My wife and I go shopping together a lot. So I generally don't shop for her because she enjoys it herself. But there are occasions where I am alone and see something I know she would like and I grab it for her so it doesn't get away.

I stopped buying clothes for my wife years ago as part of our now-entrenched DADT policy (her choice, not mine).

Time was, I used to buy her pretty things for her birthday, Christmas, and other special occasions, but that stopped as my own female wardrobe grew and she became convinced that whenever I bought something for her, I was likely buying the same thing in my size (NOT!), and in her mind, that was just plain creepy.

The truth is, our respective styles are significantly different, and what looks good on her does not necessarily look good on me, and vice versa. Interestingly enough, she used to get numerous compliments from her female friends and co-workers whenever she wore one of my gifts, but in the long run, even that didn't make a dent in her view on this issue. What can I say? Her loss, not mine, and it is what it is...

Not to pat myself on the back too much, but I think that I have become a sophisticated shopper for women's clothes, shoes, and accessories over the years as my tastes and fashion sense have evolved. This perception has been confirmed by the countless compliments on my outfits from GG's when I am out en femme, or else when I am shopping in drab, bring a fashionable ensemble to a cashier to pay for it, and typically receive a wide-eyed response along the lines of "Did YOU choose choose that outfit by yourself? Wow, that's so pretty and you coordinated it so well! I wish my (husband/boyfriend/SO - insert appropriate choice here) would buy me such nice things."

And just the other day, as I was leaving my GG make up artist/friend's studio to attend the ANTM event that I posted on in another thread here, she told me how great I looked as a result of this makeover and commented yet again on my fashion sense and the lovely outfits that I wore every time I came to see her. And for the first time, she added that she really must take me shopping with her the next time she needs to update her wardrobe, but that she would have to lose about 10 lbs. first. I don't know if she was serious or just saying that to make me feel good, but it was such a spontaneous outburst that I can't help but think that there is something behind it. Time will tell, but I am certainly thrilled by the prospect of doing this, as there is nothing that I would like more than to have a GG shopping BFF.

As for my wife, I can't count the number of times in recent years that I have spotted something that would look wonderful on her, but sadly, have to pass on it because of her irrational attitude. I don't know if this is driven by jealousy and perhaps feelings of inadequacy in comparison with my own passion for clothes shopping and skills, but as I have said before, she is the ultimate loser in this head game that she chooses to play, and this guilt trip that she tries to impose on me.

This won't stop me from pursuing my passion, mind you, but at the same time, the irony of the ying and yang of every female except for my wife being blown away by my fashion sense and ability to pick out nice female clothes for my wardrobe is not lost on me...

Heck no. No way would my wife want me shopping with her. Hates my cding.
    However...when shopping with my daughter(she knows)...I am comfortable carrying her purse while she tries on various outfits in the fitting room.

I shop for my wife all the time she loves cloths and my taste at work when she wears a new outfit her friends say oooo your husband went shoppong again for you I see :-).

While my wife and I have different taste in clothes, I know her style, and she knows mine, we shop together a lot of the time, but both of us will shop for the other one fairly often. I have had more than one SA tell me my wife is a very lucky lady and they wish their husband had as good a sense of style that I do. I love putting complete outfits together, and finding colors that work well with each other, the wife says I'm better at it than she is. But she is better at looking at something on a hanger, that looks like it is not much, and see it's potential on, she has found many cute tops, or dresses, that I would have walked past, if she hadn't shown me the possibilities. But of course, I enjoy shopping more than she does, and I do more of it. She has gotten where she does a lot of her shopping on line these days, while I still like to hold something, and check it out, before I buy, so I prefer the mall, when I can find what I want. Small town, even what stores we do have, I've found they don't carry as much selection as the same store in a bigger city. So I am learning to shop more on line just because I can't always find it here.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

I have shopped for my wife's nicer clothes for years. She is always grabbing something casual off the rack but she defers to my taste for those special things. As we have aged, we have less opportunity to go and do things that justify dressier threads but shopping for her has been one of the pleasures of our marriage. Many years ago, as she was climbing her way up the ladder, I took her to Dilliards in the mall and we came home with her very first official "I am moving up the ladder" business suit. She was proud as a peacock as was I. Love isn't all Lace and Leather. :-)

Yes and it really upsets me when I buy her something that I fell in love with by accident. I still want those tangerine satin pajamas I bought her and get frustrated I bought them for her every time she wears them. Then there was this cute dress I bought her that just didn't look quite right on her. I tried it on before we sent it to Goodwill and I could see who I bought it for. It looked much better on me. Too bad it was also a little too small.

Shopping for the GF(wife)

I think it is my feminine side that has allowed me to build a good sense of style. That and four daughters born between 1980-1986. My wife, while she abhorred my cross dressing, loved my fashion sense, (something about cake and eating it too?).
    I was in Barbizon, a place where I had bought a few things for myself from time to time, nightgowns, etc. The SA's were having a discussion concerning Monty Python and the Holy Grail...I was looking for my wife. One of the SA's, a cute college age girl came up and said..."the larger sizes are over here we have some nice stuff on clearance" Apparently she had been paying attention in my past visits. I also had a new deep purple full sleeved nightgown and a shorty in the basket for my self. I showed her my size chart my wife had given me. As it was snowy and slow outside the ladies helped quite a bit. They both copped to knowing I dressed. I was job security for them...one of the girls changed job to a full line shoe store...she let me use her family discount...she told her boss I was her uncle and that I dressed up...(discounts varied but clearance stuff was usually dirt cheap)
    Something that always struck me funny, as I bought my wife lingerie whenever I bought myself any, you would think she might want to see some of it?
    After years of shopping for wives (now-ex) and daughters...(if you see something they will like in a thrift store....get it), I usually avoid fashion catastrophes....sounds like you will as well. Get to know the SA's where you shop, they are usually helpful unless they have a stick up their ....
    time for more coffee,
    eace:
    Khelli
    Jus' tryin' to send and understanding your way.

Banned Read only
    Born in Quebec, lived most of life in small town Central Ontario.
    I LIKE shopping, my wife not really so much.

I don't have a problem buying ANY form of product, but if it isn't for me, I don't need to try it on, so there really is no problem.

My usual routine is I go into Pennigtons, and buy 50 dollar gift cards so that my wife HAS to buy herself things that she likely needs, and is just reluctant to spend money on.

It was my telling her 'look just get measured, chances are, like so many women, you are wearing the wrong damned bra'. So she had the girl measure her and suggest some bras to look at. I suspect she likes them a lot more than she would anything she would have looked at without assistance.

I go out shopping with my mother often too and don't mind offering suggestions and giving input on what I think of things she's checking out. I suppose since I recently got her a bit more clued in, she might realise why I have no problem being with her on shopping trips. My brother on the other hand would regard it as being punished for something

I have no problem buying condoms (have never bought them, no need), but I regularly pick up pads for my wife. I am also routinely getting my mothers bladder guard based pads these days.

I am ok with cosmetic sections, but then, I have an out, I use the stuff for weathering model tanks I use a really nice make up brush as a means of dusting off models (the things have incredibly delicate bristles).

It's nothing to just be buying something, it is always another matter though to be buying clothing articles you need for yourself if trying them on is part of the process.

My wife likes shopping with me. Normally she like my taste in things. She tends to get in a rut and purchase the same old styles. I have forced her out of that to expand her wardrobe in different areas.
    Don't get me wrong she likes shopping with other GG's normally, but likes our shopping trips also.
    Once I found something I liked for me. When I mentioned trying it on she gave me a dirty look and stated that I could do that when she wasn't with me. We were there for her... One day she will come around.