Thread: Thinking about starting a makeover service

Thinking about starting a makeover service

My wife is a professional photographer and I have become quite good at make-up application and body shaping. After some market research, I discovered that we live in essentially a "makeover service" dead-zone between Atlanta and Philadelphia.

We are thinking of providing a mobile service at first with an eventual fixed salon at some point in the future. This would be a part-time endeavor for both of us. What are your thoughts on this idea? Up-front cost, tax issues, etc? My wife is keen on the idea and would love to take photos of transgendered people and then digitally enhance them. She was thinking about boudoir-style photos. I absolutely adore the though of being fully dressed and helping other t-girls look their absolute best in a salon setting. This seems like a perfect way for both of us to indulge in our passions...

Miss Jessica
    Last edited by Miss Mandy; 05-08-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Gold Member
    That sounds like a great Idea;
    The only thing I can think of is the local municipality going to require you
    to have a beautician license.
    My daughter has a license so she can do hair and make-up at home. She use to work for
    a hair chain a long time ago. Found out that driving a School buss pays a lot more.
    Best of Luck.
    Rader

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Please come to Ky I need you!

Some states do not license mobile beauty operations because of the requirement to have a bathroom, running water and appropriate disinfection measures in the salon at all times. Even in-home salons must have a direct, dedicated entrance door in most places and may be banned entirely by zoning regulations. Check on the requirements in your locality before you commit to offering a particular type of service.

- Diane

While I would like the service, if mobile means coming to our house, I would not do it. Just too old and scared. Sorry. However, a fairly anonymous service some place, preferable in another city, then yes. (gulp!)

sounds great to me i would love to have something like this close to home let us know if you start this up

I am now thinking of offering this service as a mobile service first- my wife and I come to your hotel room or home. I perform the makeover and my SO takes pictures. Eventually, I would like to become a licensed beautician and offer this out of a salon or my home.

Any ideas?

sounds like a great idea I don't live near your dead zone so it wouldn't benefit me to much but the more we have around the states the easier it will be for those who want it to get all done up without fear so I say go for it, try checking prices for some places and if I might suggest something from what I understand several places like this also teach feminization classes, and rent out rooms, so my suggestion in the future take it one step further get your self a bed and breakfast type deal instead of just a salon or out of your home, but thats all dependent on your finances and is absolutletly your choice just thought I might throw that in

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Jessica View Post
    Any ideas?
    Please keep us posted because I'm interested for sure and I'm sure there are many others also.