Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Dress in Thrift Store

Wedding Dress in Thrift Store

I was on the way to a graduation party, and I passed a Salvation Army thrift store. I was by myself so I figured what the heck. As I perused the racks looking for a bargain I saw the wedding dresses. "Can't hurt to look I thought"

So there it was a tea length Davids Bridal size 18W. I stared longingly at it and moved on.

It called me back about 5 minutes later. off the rack it went and into the fitting room.

I only wore a wedding dress once before and it was ill fitting.

So didn't know what to expect

I stepped into it and zipped it up and there she was "Paula", the bride, the woman I should have been.

I let my mind take over and for a minute I was her on this May day, ready to leave for the church and start life as a married women

A tear ran down my cheek

These dresses are powerful

I understand now how special these dresses are and why women make an event out of buying them.

Have any of you ever experienced the power of a wedding dress.

BTW.. I didn't buy it (sigh)
    Last edited by Paula_56; 05-13-2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: left out

Aspiring Member
    Sooooo, did you buy it? Everyone wants to know. I had a thrift shop wedding dress for a while, long ago. But then I gave it away because;......well, you know. Leanne

you are so lucky. I just saw your pics and you look very good. congrats on the dress

Not sure why you left it behind, sounds like it should have gone home with you. Never had the chance to try one on myself, but I've always wanted to. Used to drive by a thrift store that had a deal with a bridal store, and they use to have racks of wedding dresses on the curb, Every time I drove by there the imagination would run wild, but I never had the nerve to stand out on a main street looking at wedding dresses.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Banned Read only
    Born in Quebec, lived most of life in small town Central Ontario.
    Wedding dress, that's a tricky one with me. I love em, but hmm wedding dress implies getting married, and well already being married is of course a problem hehe. But I don't have a need for a groom in my life either

I was walking past a wedding dress making shop the other day though, and the idea came to me, 'I wonder what she would charge, to make me my gowns for Sailor Moon?'. Because I'd want them to be real dresses, not just some thrown together cosplay creation. I'd really be able to wow the fans at a con if I had a seriously well made outfit for Princess Serenity.

Every time I watch my Sailor Moon videos I get all emotional during the romantic scenes.

I love wedding dresses, but something about my having one creeps my wife out. To me, it is the ultimate in modern "girly" but to my wife, it implies the event it was intended for, and the thought of her husband as a bride apparently freaks her out. LOL

I'd always wanted a wedding dress... and now somehow I've ended up with three! (you can look in my history of posts, I'd written about the experience of buying each one).

One was for a halloween parth and never fit right... the 2nd was a completely unplanned purchase that I found, like you, by chance at a thrift store, and the third was the closest to my 'dream gown' so I couldn't leave the store without it even though I already had two at home!

All three were tried on in the store, with the help of the saleswoman zipping me up and chatting with me as I checked out the fit in front of the mirrors.

You are so right about that 'feeling' when you zip it up and the fit is perfect. The third one I bought is a perfect fit, just snug without being restricting. That feel of the dress slowly fitting to your body as the zipper is pulled all the way up from below your waist to the bottom of your neck is exquisite... especially if somebody else is zipping you up! (My wife has to zip me into my latest dress, I can't reach the zipper myself).

The first one will be going to goodwill soon. It takes up SO much closet space! Of course, wedding dresses have absolutely no purpose unless you are a bride, but I just love the feel of the multiple layers of skirt and petticoat so much. When I got the first one, I wore it to a party for over 10 hours and never got tired of the feeling. (Of course, no wedding dress is complete without layers and layers of petticoat, white heels, hose, etc)

I probably wear one a few times per year, a few hours at a time, just for the feel of it. Someday I'll find another costume party at which I can be a bride... Until then, they wait in my closet.
    Last edited by Cristi; 05-13-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Banned Read only
    Every year the local Goodwill stores pull out their collection of bridal gowns and evening gowns in late April-scores of beauties. I am envious of your confidence. I zoomed over to your pictures. You look lovely in the Lord and Taylor makeover.

Last Halloween, I went as a Bride. I went to a local thrift store called Unique (they are better then most thrift stores I feel) and found a beautiful wedding gown and a formal dress. I stood in line at the fitting room with both dresses. Which ever one fit the best I would buy. They have attendants that unlock the rooms and a line people made this quite interesting but I didn't care. Well the Wedding dress fit better then the formal but I was unable to zip it up all the way in my upper torso area but I knew that my shapewear would make the difference. I paid $30 for this amazing gown, $2 for a clutch, $20 for the garter since I have never caught one at a wedding and I found a vail in my theater storage supply and I already had the hosery and heels. When I got home, I put everything on and then the dress. My god it was such a sensation pulling that dress up. I was imagining every Bride feeling this same way. I managed to get the dress zipped all the way and I broke into tears. I felt beautiful! The night of the party, I got dressed, did my wig and got into my Dodge Ram. I promised a friend that I would swing by her college dorm to show her. She was jawdropping stunned at how good I looked. When I got to the house party, it took the hostess a few seconds to realize who I was. About a minute the Black Swan finally laughed realizing I was actually a guy. An hour later I heard a lady who hadn't realized this suddenly shout from the kitchen "You mean that's a guy!" They took some formal like pics of me with my train spread out. The only thing I didn't have was a bouquet of flowers. It was hard to take it all off that night. I just sat at my desk in my Wedding Gown happy and understanding how women feel about the big day. There is no denying, the wedding dress has a powerful way of making anyone feel like a princess and the most special person on earth. Someday I hope to get married if I can ever find a women willing to do so and when it comes time for her to find and buy a dress, I don't care what the cost is, I will encourage her to get whatever dress she wants.

Kimberly, you look so ELEGANT in your wedding gowns!

Gold Member
    One only lives once, and If I found a wedding dress at a reasonable price, I would jump on it, or in it.
    I know the old saying, How often would you wear it, or where you go in it; But who cares, It is just
    fun to wear it.
    Rader

Platinum Member
    Hi nPaula, One of these days I'll find one in my size and I'll have it.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Paula you elicit powerful emotions with this post.

The wedding dress, a symbol of womanhood.

I can see you in the dress my sister, your eyes widen in wonder, your heart beats and flutters as you say I do. You are lovely, virgin and white. Embodying womanly confidence, and the highest thoughts of keeping your man happy and healthy, to make a family together. To become the corner stone upon which he builds his house. His love for you is as deep as the ocean and knows no bounds. Every action, thought and feeling is tied to you, the reason for his being, to care for you and the children you will bear.

Oh to be a real woman. This hurts me tonight. I have thought of this all day today and realize that it can never be. There I have said it.
    And I do not like that one bit.
    So dramatic. I would like to make some joke, and just turn away. In fact I will, but I am tired tonight.
    Bitter Sweet story Paula, but nice, thank you.

♥♥♥
    Noemi
    I agree and would not have bought the dress either. And appreciate the warning.
    polythene pam

Keep shopping, Paula,
    Make friends of the girls at Goodwill, and all the other thrift shops in town. Sooner or later the planets will align and a dress in your size, and price range, and your courage will come together.
    The girls at the thrift store helped me. And it was such a thrill to wear it at support group meeting for Halloween. Not easy to store. And you will want to find a bridal petticoat and white shoes...

Oh ya... almost exactly like you...just happened to see them and the price was a real steal. At first, I didn't try it, but made a mental note of the size, returned with a measuring tape and it appeared to be the perfect size so I tried it on and it fit like a glove. It was made for someone a couple inches shorter, but it was close enough. Wore it for halloween one year and I get the feeling like a princess idea...also after an entire night wearing it, I now really understand what a bride goes though...I was really hot, it was heavy and impossible to move around. A great experience though. Don't know what I'll do with it now...
    Chickie

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    I love wedding dresses, but something about my having one creeps my wife out. To me, it is the ultimate in modern "girly" but to my wife, it implies the event it was intended for, and the thought of her husband as a bride apparently freaks her out. LOL
    Kimberly, my husband also bought one. He plans to wear it in his gay friends' wedding. I think that is odd too because he's not the bride. He said he'll be the "maid of honor", but a "maid of honor" doesn't usually wear a bride's dress do they?

I don't mind that he has it, I just think the purpose he's going to wear it for is odd.

Nothing more powerful than a wedding dress to evoke wonderful and sometimes mixed emotions... as the owner of three wedding dresses and several bridesmaid/prom dresses over the years, I am with you on that.... And yes, I have experienced wearing wedding dresses for photos and a mock wedding, years ago... They are wonderful!
    "Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    Last Halloween, I went as a Bride. I went to a local thrift store called Unique (they are better then most thrift stores I feel) and found a beautiful wedding gown and a formal dress. I stood in line at the fitting room with both dresses. Which ever one fit the best I would buy. They have attendants that unlock the rooms and a line people made this quite interesting but I didn't care. Well the Wedding dress fit better then the formal but I was unable to zip it up all the way in my upper torso area but I knew that my shapewear would make the difference. I paid $30 for this amazing gown, $2 for a clutch, $20 for the garter since I have never caught one at a wedding and I found a vail in my theater storage supply and I already had the hosery and heels. When I got home, I put everything on and then the dress. My god it was such a sensation pulling that dress up. I was imagining every Bride feeling this same way. I managed to get the dress zipped all the way and I broke into tears. I felt beautiful! The night of the party, I got dressed, did my wig and got into my Dodge Ram. I promised a friend that I would swing by her college dorm to show her. She was jawdropping stunned at how good I looked. When I got to the house party, it took the hostess a few seconds to realize who I was. About a minute the Black Swan finally laughed realizing I was actually a guy. An hour later I heard a lady who hadn't realized this suddenly shout from the kitchen "You mean that's a guy!" They took some formal like pics of me with my train spread out. The only thing I didn't have was a bouquet of flowers. It was hard to take it all off that night. I just sat at my desk in my Wedding Gown happy and understanding how women feel about the big day. There is no denying, the wedding dress has a powerful way of making anyone feel like a princess and the most special person on earth. Someday I hope to get married if I can ever find a women willing to do so and when it comes time for her to find and buy a dress, I don't care what the cost is, I will encourage her to get whatever dress she wants.

I am so glad that you had such an amazing experience at that party! That sort of magic is what those dresses are made for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
    You are so right about that 'feeling' when you zip it up and the fit is perfect. That feel of the dress slowly fitting to your body as the zipper is pulled all the way up from below your waist to the bottom of your neck is exquisite... especially if somebody else is zipping you up! (My wife has to zip me into my latest dress, I can't reach the zipper myself).
    A thrill ran up my spine when I read that! Amazing the power of words eh?

I love wedding dresses, the more layers of petticoat and skirt the better. I am envious of your girls that have worn one. I desperately want to, its the ultimate in female attire for me and I stare longingly at any that really catch my eye. The only problem is, I am not married and it wouldn't feel right to wear one before I actually do marry lovely SO. So something to look forward to I guess. Will stick to prom and bridesmaid dresses for now

Charlotte.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchette2 View Post
    Kimberly, my husband also bought one. He plans to wear it in his gay friends' wedding. I think that is odd too because he's not the bride. He said he'll be the "maid of honor", but a "maid of honor" doesn't usually wear a bride's dress do they?

I don't mind that he has it, I just think the purpose he's going to wear it for is odd.
    I would have to agree with you Wrenchette and I'd even go one step farther - wearing a wedding dress to someone elses wedding would flat out be completely inappropriate. One thing you never ever do is upstage a bride. That is her one day to be the princess, the day that she has likely dreamed about since she was five years old. That should be HER day to shine and be the center of attention and for someone else in the party to take any part of that away from her is unforgivable. The maid of honor may well get to wear a killer gown and that's cool, but NOT a wedding gown. You need to sit your hubby down and talk some sense into him on this.

Hmmmmm . . . just realized that when we are talking about a gay friend, there might not BE a bride in this wedding. I suppose that maybe that would take it from being a horribly rude thing to do to just a really weird thing to do, but what the hell do I know? LOL

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    I own more than a dozen Bridal gowns (David's Bridal to designer labels) and frequently wear them (including to special events).

Silver Member
    Wedding dresses are special. The interesting thing is that most women never try them on afterwards.

I've lucky in that I had one for a Halloween party. I donated afterward. I worked for a short time for a organization doing a version of 7 Brides or something. I worked when no one else was there. Anyway they had several wedding dresses so of course I tried on everyone of them. Some were very elegant and fit great. Also had a friend that had a really nice wedding dress and let me try it on after her wedding before she gave it away.

I have had a few evening dresses and ball gowns over the years. I found them fun to wear because I could go out in a really elegant dress.

I love wedding dresses! I love wearing them of course but I also love the experience of buying them. It's wonderful to be pampered by the store assistants helping you to find the right one. They're always so kind and helpful! I've done it quite a few times but not as many as I wish because wedding dresses are just so expensive. I wish I could go wedding dress shopping every day!!!
    I'm always a woman!

I love wedding dresses also, I have tried them on, and one time I was at a wedding dress charity sale two years ago and bought a wedding dress, and later discovered I was on the local news that night with the wedding dress on. that was a huge moment in my life.
    You should have bought the dress, if it fits buy it. If I were you, go back to that store and buy that dress.

I have thought about getting into one many times but two months ago the urge hit me really hard when the SO and i were out shopping for bridesmaid dresses for a wedding that we were a part of. any way i was at a thrift store in Houston TX and i saw a wedding dress their that i wanted to try on but it was not my size. had it been closer i would have. i am not sure how the SO would have taken it though. it was then when i saw it the urge of getting into one hit me hard.