Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Facial recognition software used in Social Media and elsewhere - paranoid?

Banned Read only
    Born in Quebec, lived most of life in small town Central Ontario.
    I have had a few of our community join up with me on my Facebook recently. Some I recognize, some must be employing sig line (that was the point of it though ).

As I see it it is win win with me.

Either my friends are clueless, and think I am suddenly popular with the ladies, or my friends fin of the blueally clue in because of all the people I know lately that seem to reinforce what I have been trying to say on Facebook

It will show a measure of the worth of some of my friends, if they can cope with being on MY Facebook list with some really interesting people. I never friend people from out blue though. If they are on my list, I actually have a connection. Better to have 10 meaningful people on list, than 100 or 1000 only good for an ego stroke.

Right now I'm not ready to come out on facebook although I would like to do it and say I really don't give a crap, I can't. My big and only reason is my SO supprts me in so many ways but doesn't want me posting pics or at least right now so I don't. If it wasn't for that then I would do it just like some other members here. Maybe one day I will go pay my taxes wearing a nice dress.
    If big brother is trying to figure out what I'm doing in my spare time then they have too much time and money on their hands.
    If any of us are concerned, I think the biggest worry is about employers trying to find out some dirt about us and to discriminate before hiring.
    Maybe one day I will get to put myself out there just like others here!!!

Banned Read only
    Work is a real concern, I can sure understand that.

I have not worked since 94. Life saw to that.

I suspect if I was in the work force, I would not be present on any form of social interactive site as either of me in any fashion (including here). Work is needed generally speaking and in today's world, there is no such thing as a useless job. Just having ANY job can sometimes be a major hurdle.

If I was self employed I'd likely be just to busy to acknowledge the internet's existence at all. I'd have a web page I paid a service to support.

That, and if you have had a messy relationship go sideways on you and kids were involved, odds are you just can't afford the existence of even the slightest peculiarity in your life. I've watched what my sister went through, and chances are I wouldn't even want her on my Facebook. Better for her to have no connection with it for HER sake.

I'm trying to figure out why any government official would care that I'm TG. Surely they've got other things to worry about. Like wrecking the economy and trying to figure out how they personally can profit from it.

I've been buying some stuff on line lately, and I'd say probably everyone I've bought from has guessed that I'm TG. They have my name, address, etc., and I don't care.

So if I don't care that other people know I'm TG, why am I still in the closet--especially since I'm not really in the closet? I really need to figure out how to be logical.

Annabelle

Banned Read only
    Might only be a regional difficulty too.

Where you live for instance will impact your life.

I live in small town nowhere central Ontario. Your colour your gender and your religious views are really not that important (well been living here since 67 and I have never witnessed any problems with any of the things I mentioned).

But small towns don't tend to have the numbers needed for some groups to actually be noticed much I suppose.

I've always wondered if I could 'like' living in the Southern US in the bible belt zone. I've been to Florida (and very briefly to bury my grandfather), but otherwise, never been there. Not sure how it is to live in the region, and the need to cope with the attitudes.

I am not concerned with any of our various issues as they might be received around here. I might have led a sheltered life too.

As others have said, the easiest way is to not give a damn! I have FB accounts for both sides of me and they are friends with each other. Several of my friends and colleagues are friends with both...... As a result it comes up as a friend suggestion for people who know either side of me! So many people look, ask themselves "Do I know a Beth"? and then move on!

OK, I've done it... opened a facebook page as me... let's see what happens! Damn thing requires a conventional name though!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Just wanted you to know also that I did have two FB accounts en femme. One as Ericka and one as Denise. I deleted them though, not because I was afraid of being recognized but because I got so much "cutesy" stuff from friends, et. al. that I really didn't have time to keep up with it all, especially since I had gone back to working part time then. Just kept my guy account.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Very very scary! Now it all adds up............Elvis really was sited working at a gas station in Minnesota. DAMN YOU FACIAL RECOGNITION SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!

That's ok Rader, If big brother tries to tax both of me, the only thing he'll get is a big Bronx cheer and an empty wallet. If he wants to throw me in debtors prison I can be my own cell mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by RADER View Post
    Do not be concerned; big brother already knows all about you, and is trying to
    find a way to tax you for your double identity. So dig deep.
    Rader
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    OK, I've done it... opened a facebook page as me... let's see what happens! Damn thing requires a conventional name though!
    You've got one friend request at least Kaz!!

Banned Read only
    All Facebook needs, is a name that will be recognized by friends, and an image they will see and say to themselves, yah that's my friend.

I once used an image of a swiss army knife for my image. Anyone that knows me, knows multi tools is everything about me.

But I learned, your REAL name is likely already being used. My real name is being used by an over the top Christian in Kansas, and a black sheriff in Georgia. And they are both actually women. I mean, dang, I want to be a woman real bad. Seems like I already am in some cases too

And you can bet that will mess up any feds looking to spy on you. 'Ok which one of these people is the real one?, Leslie can be all of these people'.

Maybe the GOV is interested in us. The CIA might recruit a few of us. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigid View Post
    Maybe the GOV is interested in us. The CIA might recruit a few of us. LOL.
    I've often thought (OK, fantasized) about that. Undercover secret agent, 00 1/2, who can slip in and out of drab and fem as needed. Surely I'd be a valuable resource to any intelligence agency.

Annabelle

Trouble.. Yep thats me Beth Mays's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RADER View Post
    big brother already knows all about you, and is trying to
    find a way to tax you for your double identity.
    Rader
    HEY wonder if I can claim Beth as a dependant on my taxes?
    Maximus Decimus Meridius (Gladiator):
    What we do in this life, echoes in eternity..

You can fine me here on Facebook!

I'm going to start wearing this top whenever I take pictures:

http://shirt.woot.com/shirts/what-me-paranoid
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly DeWinter View Post
    I'm with Karen on this, Who cares, In fact I believe that if the number of CD/TG were really known, men's shirts would come in bright colors with ruffels !
    Hay!!! I want one, maybe a yellow or a sky blur one. Make it a 4X please.
    Rader

If you want to see "facial recognition" software in action, install Googles "Picasa". It will go through your photos and try to identify people.

So far, it has not been able to put both sides of me together.
    Inside every good man, there is a good woman.

Not sure we have much to worry about. I put one of my guy close-ups into Google image search. I was matched with a lot of old white dudes (of which I am one). I was also matched to this cute twenty-something Chinese girl modeling "Peach Spring" facial soap. I wish I look like her! Maybe Google was reading my mind. Now that's scary!

Banned Read only
    nope not concerned. i might have been a year ago before I came out as TG and started transition, but at this point I really don't give a rip.

Fine.
    I live life in both genders, I do it.
    The United States has become a bureaucratic joke since 2011, with all this airport rigamorole, and I'm more than happy to contribute to it for the specific reason of grinding it down to uselessness.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_g View Post
    Facebook has been doing this. If you don't believe it, post a pic of yourself looking straight at a camera and post it to one facebook, then take a similar picture while en femme and wait about a month. Not only will Google Images pick it up, but Facebook will as well. Getty Images created the software for in house use (more people steal from Getty than any other photo bank) and has recently started leasing out the software. Google's is based on image algorithms, and I am pretty sure facebook is using Getty's. Take a picture of yourself and drop it into the Google Images search. It may find more than you hoped for.

i just tried it and got no hits with me on them only photos of old bald men and i know i am in the image libary
    just wear what you like and like what you wear

I saw an article today about the SceneTap app that is rolling out in various markets. It places cameras at the entrances to bars and other venues which take pictures of everybody entering then uses software that determines the age and gender of the people photographed. The data is then stored on a server where smartphone users can access it to see what the age and gender distribution is at a particular club. This appears to be a variation of the "video sign that only displays information to women" software used in the UK.

Of course, the app promoter swears on a mountain of bibles that they aren't going to misuse the data they are collecting, but we all know how much of a conscience the data-harvesting business has.

http://www.mercurynews.com/food-wine...cisco-bar-goer
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

i was but i over came my fears and made me a facebook page