Thread: Personal observations

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar

Personal observations

I just returned from a lovely vaction to the west coast of BC. On this vacation my SO and I had many times of shopping and just wondering around the malls that were new to us. As one of my favorite passtimes is people watching, I had time to make many observations. First off, I am positive that I was 3 or 4 CD's while I was people watching. What makes my think that they were CD's you ask. They were over dressed, and the makeup was overkill for the occasion. Ok, so we all need a little makeup to cover, or hide some of those telltale signs, but don't make the makeup the sign! The overdressing is based more on the observation that the GG's are dressed comfortable and casual, usually with no makeup. It is sort of like that childrens game where you look at four pictures and have to guess which one does not fit. The individuals that I am talking about would fit in at a fine dinner engagement, not the mall mid week. I did see some well dressed women, and you could tell right away that they were on their work lunch break, or something like that. It is like the ones that stood out were trying to hard and that was the difference. As women get older, they stop trying so hard and the lazy casual look in mannerism and dress takes over. They wear makeup, not much, they do their hair, but the clothes are casual, and shoes are diffinately comfortable . If the CD'er wants to fit in out there, then slow down and observe what the GG's are doing, then follow it. Just my observations and thoughts.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

I couldn't agree more. Blending is the best way to be out in public and not be made immediately. I mean really, what GG wears a leather mini and 5" pumps on a Saturday afternoon. In my area GGs are wearing jeans or yoga pants and Tshirts. That's what I wore this morning while grocery shopping. No glares or stares.

the choir

I have been saying it since the early 80's. "A lot of crossdressers get made because they try to dress too young and too sexy" If you are going to the grocery store, dress like it!

It is very important to learn the difference between a "club" look and looking natural.

It can be hard to achieve a natural look when to look natural we have to wear as much as a GG does to the club.
    Khelli
    Jus' tryin' to send and understanding your way.

So let them all like blend all they want. That's the kewl part of freedom. I blended for 61 years to so totally please society and hated every drab minute. I didn't get the choice to "stop trying so hard" as a GG might after a certain age. Time so isn't on my side, nothing there to waste. I use acceptable makeup, esp on my eyes and lots of jewelry, frilly blouses and nice jeans with heels. This is Sat, I'm going to a movie and that's how I'll dress in another hr or so. I'll probably be "overdressed" for the occasion, but like who cares? I don't use leather minis, 5" pumps or try to look like I'm at a bar or wutever, but I'll dress much more with a "I care" look than the afore mentioned yoga pants and tee shirt, I don't wanna "blend". I just wanna be ME. I'm well over wut others want from me, I'm living true to ME my remaining years, otherwise wut's the use of even coming to terms with who & wut you are? Thank gawd there are no cast in concrete rules concerning how a TG/TS or wutever HAS to dress. Just my personal 2 cents.

Banned Read only
    I concur. The most inappropriate outfit I have seen on a CDer was in a Costco. He was wearing white short shorts that almost did not cover the cheeks of his a$$; a tank top that showed his side bands of his white bra; and five inch high heel pumps. Most inappropriate for the setting, although he did not get more than a casual glance. I attribute that to the Costco shoppers. If it had been a Wal+Mart, I'm sure the reaction would have been different. I saw the same person dressed in the same exact manner on public transportation. I know some people are going to say "Whatever floats your boat!" It was obvious he wanted to draw attention to himself.

I will say, if I was a teenage cross dresser and could pass, I would be hitting a mall in a prom dress this time of year. On prom night it seems the young couples go to the mall to show off their attire. There are lots of cute girls in long and shorter prom dresses with their dates. For me, I promise I will not wear either my pink or periwinkles evening gowns while grocery shopping!

sheesh or rama, this topic has so many faces.

90% of CD's will NOT be able to dress "casual" like women do and not stand out like a huge sore thumb. The uniform of a crossdresser has a purpose; to mask the masculine. Men are bigger and shaped completely different so the tshirt and yoga pants look is a definite no no. The makeup is heavy for a reason, men have a LOT to cover if they want to look feminine. Beard shadow is the least of it. Men have big noses, and brow-bones, and chins, and jawlines. men also have masculine hairlines if any hair at all and it's extremely difficult to find a wig that is natural looking to the point of dressing down with it. The part time CD is at an almost insurmountable disadvantage in regard to dressing casual. There is no way you can be concerned about how you look in drab if you want to have any hope of looking as good as possible in Fab. You must get rid of the body hair, you must lose weight, you must lose the farmers tan, you must grow your hair out, your must pierce your ears, etc etc.

Transitioners spend gobs of money and time to pull off this casual look that you speak of, but I guarantee you that I would look kind of silly dressed up like a guy now. There is no back and forth if you don't want to be out to the world. This whole idea that CD's get clocked because they are over done is valid except the alternative requires work that a closeted or part-time CD is simply not willing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Good observation, Melissa. I've been thinking about this question lately: how will I dress if/when I ever get out? I certainly don't want to wear jeans. Absolutely hate them. Something of a casual skirt? At my age I could get away with that, I think. If I can't get out looking more or less the way I want to look, what's the point of getting out? Something for me to think about anyway.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    sheesh or rama, this topic has so many faces.

90% of CD's will NOT be able to dress "casual" like women do and not stand out like a huge sore thumb. The uniform of a crossdresser has a purpose; to mask the masculine.
    I hear what you're saying but I'm with Melissa here. I will wear a denim skirt or jeans but that's my only descent into the chav kingdom of Britain at the moment.
    I'd need my hair pulled back in an elastic band so it stretches my face (Croydon face lift) and greasy. My time is limited for dressing etc. so I'll look like I'm off to a dinner date rather than a drab form of fab

Rebecca x
    Last edited by reb.femme; 05-19-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: grammar
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

If I have to go out wearing yoga pants, I would Rather be in drab, I would get to dress better. As I stated in an earlier thread this morning, I've seen women, (real women) at the store, in pajama bottoms, and a tee, well that is not me, women can dress down a much as they like, but if I have to dress down that much, what's the point of having all these pretty things I have in my closet. But yesterday, I did see a dress and 2 skirts at the grocery store, and neither one looked like a cross dresser to me. And I looked real closer, because you all keep telling be GG's don't wear that stuff.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieTV View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Blending is the best way to be out in public and not be made immediately. I mean really, what GG wears a leather mini and 5" pumps on a Saturday afternoon. In my area GGs are wearing jeans or yoga pants and Tshirts. That's what I wore this morning while grocery shopping. No glares or stares.
    This is really what I do not understand, from a closet cd view. Why bother getting dressed up at all, if you are just going to look like another grubby GG? You may as well just go out as your guy self.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian Gigs View Post
    What makes my think that they were CD's you ask. They were over dressed, and the makeup was overkill for the occasion.
    That's it? No hairy knuckles, adam's apples, broad shoulders, plodding walks, cheap wigs, or manly mannerisms? You ID'd CD's only for their dress and makeup? As if there are no GG's who make up or dress over the top for the occasion. Also, some people (CD's or GG's) may be stopping off at the mall on the way to another event for which they are properly dressed and made up. You assumed they dressed as they did just to go shopping at the mall.

If I dress totally uninteresting I pass.
    Good close shave, minute amount of foundation, quick brush with powder, light smear of lipstick, stud type earrings, small diamonds. No! Imitation Glass Jewels.
    Short wig to shape my face, dark jumper that shows I have boobs and stick the skinny jeans and boots on. Dont carry the riding crop.
    Smart, slender and elegant. That's how I feel anyway.
    Hey! it is quick and easy. Blends in nicely. I think.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissy Kay View Post
    This is really what I do not understand, from a closet cd view. Why bother getting dressed up at all, if you are just going to look like another grubby GG? You may as well just go out as your guy self.
    Well Crissy, this is where it falls in to the category of "we all do this for varying reasons". From your comment I suspect you do it because you like the dressier element to it or possibly some fetish element too going by your avatar. But for some, going out as a lady means dressing as ladies would for that location, time of day, etc. Now this can certainly be done with some style choices to where the person looks quite well, so "grubby" is in the eyes of the beholder.

Junior Member xxprincess_tiffyxx's Avatar
    Sounds like a fun trip
    I recently moved to alberta from Vancouver. I definitely miss it there.
    Vancouver is so open and liberal and no one really seems to care or make any deal at all about cds in public there.
    And I agree when I go out I try to go out more natural, try to look sexy but to not stand out from what would be within normal for a petite nice shaped body girl of my age