Thread: Starting Up! Make-up advice

Red face Starting Up! Make-up advice

Hey-ya!

I'm probably going to be in a place soon where I can actually start dressing up properly and making a real effort; without having to think about being able to get everything off quickly in an "emergency".

So...I know of places where I can get everything, even shoes :O hehe! But I'm a bit lost when it comes to make-up; what would people recommend I get as a sort of "starter kit" that is good quality, but not to pricey (UK preffered).

Much Love

- Angela <3 x

I'm waiting to see the answers to this! I am in the same place in life!

Try Cover Girl or Wet and Wild they are both good and inexpensive for starters.

I would recommend starting with a makeup kit. These contain multiple colors of eye shadow, lip color, blush, etc.. Some also contain a basic brush set. You can experiment to find the best colors and learn how to apply makeup. Once you have a better idea of what you like and want, you can buy better makeup without wasting a lot of money on products you do not like. It takes time and practice to find your look and you will make mistakes along the way. Item number 1341700 at Sephora would be an example of a makeup kit. You will probably need foundation and want mascara. Getting a good color match is important with foundation. It can be tricky to do on your own and visiting a cosmetics department is the best way to have it done.

As you advance in your makeup experience, there are other cosmetics products, but I would not worry about them in the beginning. Get the basics under control then move on to the more advanced products. It can be overwhelming if you try to take everything on at once, and it can get quite expensive.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    I don't know of a makeup kit that provides everything. You might get an assortment of eye shadow colors and lipsticks in a kit.

If you're starting out you would probably want:
    Foundation
    Concealer
    Blush (optional)
    Eye Liner (pencil or gel liner or felt pen)
    Mascara
    Eye Shadow (based on color preference)
    Lipstick (based on color preference)

The only thing you might need help with matching is foundation. You need foundation to smooth out your skin tone and cover some minor blemishes. Take a small sample and match to the skin on your inner wrist . Concealer would be one shade lighter than your foundation, easier to do if you buy concealer from same brand as foundation).

You can buy makeup either in the drugstore (much less expensive) or in a dept or makeup store but expect to pay 4-5 times + for the cost of each item. You can get wonderful help if you go to the dept store in your makeup selection and you can expect to spend more than $80 and have your ego stroked along the way. (Hey that might be enjoyable for you)

I bought a starter set from Kmart for $25 it had a little of everything, not great quality but it gives you an idea of what you will use and what is a waste of money. Most of it I never hardly touched but the rest gave me a good start. then I started getting good stuff of what I would use.

There are lots of Makeup Kits for sale on Ebay, most of the stuff is not top quality, of course, but using one of them will give you an idea of what makes you look the way you want to look, and then you can get better quality items similar to the cheap stuff you liked. A good book on "How To" use makeup is a wonderful investment, too.