Thread: eye surgery and a question...

eye surgery and a question...

Hi girls!!!

My view is not very good and after 20 years wearing contact lenses and glasses i have decided to have surgery. Next friday the doctor will implant a lens inside my right eye and one week later will do the same in the left one.

I'm not very nervous about the surgery, but there is really one question that is in my head...

How do I ask the doctor how long do i have to wait before applying eye make-up again?

i will probably choose the direct way but, do you have any other idea?

thanks.

P.S: in prevision of that time being quite long I'm now dressed and feeling pretty for the last time in who know's how long...

P.S.2: i know that the more risky is not the applying of the make up, but the "scratching" needed to remove it...

Helena;

This type of surgery will take a week or 10 days to heal.

After that you can put on your make up to your hearts content.
    Inside every good man, there is a good woman.

I had eye surgery to correct my vision also (perfect 20/20 now). It was the best thing I've ever done and I wish you heaps upon heaps of luck.

To answer your question: You can put eye makeup on as soon as your eyes heal fully.

Plus you'll be able to see yourself in a whole new way.

The best thing I can tell you is, ask your doctor. This doctor has probably heard the same question from CDs before, and if not, so what. It won't hurt to ask, they won't betray you, and it will give you the info you need...........Stephanie

please let me know how it goes I am thinking of having this done but I am afraid my close up vision will be affected and I do a lot of fine delicate wiring.

I hope to get surgery to correct my vision. I just have a personel fear of any form of surgery lol. Hope it goes well. An if it's any type of doctor I'm sure they have patients from all walks of life an get more insane questions than that. My sisters boyfriend's father is a doctor, and he has had all kinds of odd situations with patients. He never released who anyone was. It never seemed to bother him. He just found it interesting. An I'm talkin about stuff way wierder than CDing men.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I looked into that. I wear glasses to see far away but see just fine for reading, etc. They told me I could throw away my glasses to see far! And, order new ones to read! POINTLESS for me.

Then, I wore some up down glasses for a week to see if THAT surgery would work for me. One eye sees far, the other sees close. No glasses they said. Everything went fine until I went to play catch with my softball playing daughter. Couldn't catch the ball because my stereo vision was now mono!

Glasses r just fine for me! But, good luck to u, Helena! Hope it's just what u wanted!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 05-24-2012 at 09:51 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I had cataract surgery in my left eye a year and a half ago. While I was being prepped for the operation (which involves putting about 200 drops of 50 different compounds in your eye, BTW -- very annoying but not painful or anything), the nurse stopped and looked at me with a wink and said, "sorry, hun, you'll have to take off your eye makeup before the surgery, you know!"

I explained to her that I have permanent (tattooed) eyeshadow and liner and it wouldn't come off or be a bother in the OR. This led to a nice conversation about makeup, bodyart and crossdressing that helped pass the time while I was waiting for all the drops to work ... and a rather nice moment of sharing with the nurse.

I waited until after my two-week followup with the doctor to start wearing standard eye makeup again, although I probably could have started a little earlier if I'd wanted to. False lashes seemed safer than mascara so I wore those for awhile during the first few weeks.

- Diane

thanks for the replies

i think that the easiest way will be simply asking what i want to know.
    if after surgery i have to wait 2 or 3 weeks without make up it wont be a big problem, i have been longer without doing it, but it is so looooooong since last time i went out that i really think that i need a girls night out.

hugs, Helena.

A good friend had that done and asked. She was told not to wear any for at least 3 weeks.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

If the lens is replaced, ones vision can be set for a certain range. E.g. See well far away up to about two feet then glasses are needed. A few of the newer cataract lens replacements have multi focal zones but are too new yet for a large data base and cannot be worn by pilots. LAZIK is a treatment that re-shapes the cornea for visual improvement and still allows the lens to be focused by its muscles over a wide range. However, age eventually wins, and some where in the forties or fifties, glasses for near vision are needed.
    Last edited by Laura912; 05-25-2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Cornea instead of lens

Aspiring Member
    I have gone through the cataract surgery in both eyes, and went from being extremely nearsighted to quite farsighted. Close up is now the problem, and I have to keep a number of pairs of reading glasses of different strengths handy for various tasks. I didn`t try using eye makeup during the healing process, but now the problem is my inability to focus on my eyes without glasses when I want to use makeup, and my inability to apply the stuff when I am wearing glasses because they get in the way. One other problem is that reading glasses tend to get broken more easily because they are constantly being put on and taken off, and then placed in precarious places, whereas distance glasses are usually worn continuously. Oh well, at least the dollar stores carry the readers.

Veronica

For several days after surgery, patients should avoid any heavy lifting or straining the can increase pressure in the eye. Rubbing or pushing of the eye and any situation that could result in being hit in the eye are also to be avoided.

Careful showering and shampooing are permitted, as long as no soap or shampoo touches the eye. Any makeup around the eye should be avoided for several weeks, 1 month at a minimum. Public swimming pools, hot tubs, and other potential sources of bacterial contamination should also be avoided.

When in doubt, the patient should consult the doctor for guidelines regarding post-surgical activities.
    DonnaT

I had Lasik surgery a few years ago and I couldn't wear make up, deodorant or hairspray for 2 weeks before AND after my surgery, THAT was the worst part of the whole thing!

I could not be happier that I had it done, it's been awesone. I walked out of the office seeing better than I did with the glasses I had when I went in.

But the no make up before part is as important as the after part, you can't have any makeup on and we know how hard it is to get it all off.

I cannot directly answer your question about makeup, but my brother had his lenses replaced, and had to go back for an examination after a few weeks. This is a standard practice, and you could just wait until that time, and avoid having to ask. My brother still has to wear glasses after his surgeries.