Thread: The National Museum of the United States Air Force

The National Museum of the United States Air Force

Mission Accomplished!

Back in 2001, I went out dressed for a three month period. I tried the mall, shopping centers, fast food places, the library, and I got laughed and read every time I went out. (I wasn't good at dressing appropriately, wearing a cheap wig, bad makeup, etc). I was wanting to go to the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio, but decided not to. I wasn't comfortable and decided to give up going out in public entirely.

Back in February of 2012, I have started going out in public again. This time with a lot more confidence, discipline, and experience. I have gone to the mall, movies, stores, restaurants, library, with only one minor problem at a local fabric store. Ever since I stopped going out in public in 2001, I have always wondered what it would be like to go the museum dressed in femme. I thought it would never happen. Even though I have been accepted as a female with the public, it still took a lot of courage to get dressed and go.

So, after my therapist appointment today, I decided today is the day. I made sure I dressed casual (jeans, plain v neck shirt, tennis shoes, etc). And made the journey across town. Sure enough as I pull into the parking lot, I see 8 school buses!!!! Just my luck the one day I decide to go is field trip day for a local school district. I thought about aborting. Kids can read us without even trying. I didn't want to be 'outed' or cause a scene with some intolerant parent. I called my wife and she told me that, "You are not Jason, you are Amber. Jason doesn't exist right now and if you believe you are Amber, you will do just fine." So after the pep talk I get out and make the walk towards the door. There are kids everywhere, so I do stick to a sidewalk a little out of the way. I walk in the lobby and there are over 50 kids between 8-15 years old. I pause only briefly (didn't want to bring attention to myself) and just walked through them to the interior. I went immediately to the Early Years 1700s-1930 (balloons to pre WWII fighters). I just started looking at the planes and reading the stuff on the wall. I have been there in guy mode several times and only looked at the planes, and now Amber is here actually learning the history.

It was a little nerve racking at first. People being all around and tours of kids continually passing through, but after 15min or so, I got absorbed into my role as Amber, and started having a good time. I had ZERO problems with anybody at all. In fact, one guy said, 'excuse me miss' when he accidentally bumped into me. Wow. I was wishing I had some friends that I can do things like this with, but Amber is a solo act for now anyway. While my wife accepts me being transgender, she doesn't really like to see it; especially be seen with me like it.

After I got done with the Early Years, I really had to go to the bathroom. I faced the dilemma of Family Restroom vs. Women's Restroom. I didn't want to cause a scene in the Women's Restroom if I was read and I didn't want to upset a father needing to help their child by taking up the family bathroom. I decided to call it a day and stop at a McDonald's on the way home and use their women's restroom and grab something to eat. No problems in the restroom (no one was in it), and even though I don't have a feminine voice, the cashier didn't bat an eye when I ordered. I sat and read my kindle for a few and just got home.

What a great day!

Amber
    “But you can only lie about who you are for so long without going crazy.”
    ― Ellen Wittlinger,

"we could mix all three, the two gendered and the one non-gendered, "she", "he", and "it", to make "shi...". No, nevermind, that won't work either... "
    Alimarx SDMB 2004

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    [QUOTE=AmberDay;2851637]I was wishing I had some friends that I can do things like this with, but Amber is a solo act for now anyway. While my wife accepts me being transgender, she doesn't really like to see it; especially be seen with me like it./QUOTE]

Hi Amber,

I haven't been out en femme as yet but hugely jealous, sat here right now.
    Ex-RAF myself I love military aircraft, spent lots of time with USAF on detachments and in the Gulf in 91.

If only I were your side of the pond, I too could have had a great day.
    I could have been your wing-woman.
    Happy that you have fulfilled a dream though.

Rebecca x
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Amber I give you a whole lot of credit. Congrats on making it happen. I love that museum. I've been there a few times with my son when he was young and with my Dad before he passed (he was a fighter and an FC pilot). I could see myself going there with a couple like minded girls and having a day of it but I'm not sure I'm as brave as you.

Congratulation Amber, I'm glad the day went so well for you. That museum really is wonderful. It's absolutely amazing to stand under some of those historic wings. I certainly don't think you picked the wrong day, there are always boatloads of tours there.

On my visits I'd never make it very far since I would try and read way too much. I wonder how long it would take to read every display there. Days?

I hope the next trip goes just as well.

-Bree

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Kudos Amber. So happy that you finally got back up in the proverbial saddle after a dry spell. Seems to be working out great, and that museum is a wonderful place to visit, and just get lost in it all. I guess there will always be decisions we cant handle, but it looks like the McDonalds option worked out perfectly. Thanks so very much for sharing.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

I'm glad you had a great day! I went to the Phila Art Museum to a dress exhibit one day, the place was packed with teenage girls, yikes. There was one or two quick glances my way, but what I find in places like that is that the people are there to see the exhibits, not me. I was dressed in jeans, boots, a nice black top and a waist lenght leather jacket.

Well if you were in the museum on May 18 or 19, I totally missed you.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    Amber, thanks for telling us about a great trip. Now you will be looking for other places to go!
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyJane View Post
    Amber, thanks for telling us about a great trip. Now you will be looking for other places to go!
    You are correct Stacey, after reaching this goal there is no where I can't go! I used to see me being transgender as a curse, but now I see it as an honor. Really how many people get to live two genders at the same time in one life?

Amber
    “But you can only lie about who you are for so long without going crazy.”
    ― Ellen Wittlinger,

"we could mix all three, the two gendered and the one non-gendered, "she", "he", and "it", to make "shi...". No, nevermind, that won't work either... "
    Alimarx SDMB 2004