Thread: Role models growing up?

Role models growing up?

Good evening all,

I have a question that I've't read on the forum over the last month or so; who were your role models growing up, if you started dressing at a young age?

My parents divorced when I was about 5 years old and had my Mom and sister have a huge influence in my life. To clarify, they did not start or encourage dressing nor did they know about it (as far as I know...).

I though I'd ask,
    Sam

I didn't really have any role models although my sister did dress me a few times when I was four! But that didn't last very long! After that I was on my own! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Silver Member
    My primary role model was my mom, no doubt about it.

Don't think I had any per say, but Doris Day certainly caught my eye as did other women in television in the 50's and 60's. I also recall a model for Sears Catalogue that spent many years on their pages that I simply adored. She had sooooo much class and elegance and sex appeal all wrapped into one. Little did I realize at the time how much of an influence on me she was. I just recall how much I was attracted to her/how she appeared. When she retired from the picture world, I was lost. lol

My mother was an amazing person. She worked hard her whole life.... Guess that's where I get my work ethic.... And my small breasts! Lmao...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Without a doubt, my mom first. Amazing women that raised 5 kids on social security and what little she could earn before they would take away her social security. My dad died when I was only 10. She was pregnant with my youngest brother at that time. She learned how to drive, bought an old 1948 Oldsmobile, loaded it up with all we owned and headed for Florida to get us away from crime ridden New York. It was hard but happy times up until she was killed in an automobile accident when I was only 16.
    Next was my kindergarten teacher. She was so beautiful and maybe a small reason I'm a CD today. She took the whole class to her wedding 2 blocks from the school. First wedding I ever cried at. She was supposed to wait for me. Next was an Aunt, my dad's brother's wife. Absolutely gorgeous. I remember walking the boardwalk holding hands with her when I was only 8 or so. I was in love again, after my kindergarten teacher let me down. lol But I must mention Annette Funicello, one of the original Mouseketeers, I was in love again.
    Gee, I feel in love early and often!

My inspiration in life was my maternal Grandmother for sheer gumption. My fictional role models as far as looks and action and female empowerment were Emma Peel, April Dancer, Honey West, Wonder Woman, Black Canary to name a few.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Mom, first then Dad, they where both great roll models. Mom gets top billing only because she was home, and dad spent much of his time, working, but when he was there, he was there 100%, I had a great childhood, and don't see it has having anything to do with why I'm a cross dresser.
    Oh, mom was a plain women, no frills, so I didn't get my girlyness from her, not sure where that came from, maybe my big sister.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Quote Originally Posted by SamGreen View Post
    My parents divorced when I was about 5 years old and had my Mom and sister have a huge influence in my life. To clarify, they did not start or encourage dressing nor did they know about it (as far as I know...).
    My situation was exactly the same, sheesh!

My mom would have to be my role model. My older sister and I fought like cats and dogs.lol. My stepfather was a womanizer and horn dog. He spent most of his time drinking and in strip bars. I didn't want to be anything like him.

Then there was my guy friends (peers) I hid my CD side real well from them and "played" the alpha male role.

I got my hair cut like Mitzi Gaynor once, by a girlfriend studying hairstyling.
    It was a blast and help reinforce my cross dressing amongst my girlfriends.
    They all wanted to dress me up and I could get into 98 pound weakling guy style again instantly.
    It was a great haircut.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    For me it would have to be hands down my mom. When she first discovered I was into cross dressing it was hard but she came to accept it now we shop, dress and swap clothes go to the spa. But it has also been a life lesson for me and opened my eyes.

A few years back she got into boxing and now wrestling and that is hard watching her in the ring or on the mat getting beat up. She told me that she likes it. And I look at it like this I know it was hard when she found out I was cross dressing and seeing her son dressed in her panties or leotard but she knew I liked it and she accapted and got used to it and supported me. While it is hard to watch my mom on the mat she likes it and I'm going to support her the way she supported me.

Sorry for the rant.

Geoff

Miriam
    My primary role model was definitely my dad. I copied him every chance I got, and he taught me much of what I needed to know about being a man of honor and responsibility. My mom was also a strong influence and is a wonderful woman, but not the one I looked to most.

Miriam

My clothes influence was my primary school teacher. When I saw her petticoats I knew I wanted them. That and her pointed breasts. That was in the fifties and I still fondly remember her.

Thanks all for your replies,

I was interested to see what divorce and/or primary role models being female had on crossdressing. As usual, nothing; we are all from different backgrounds!

Cheers,
    Sam

I saw my mom a lot more than I saw my dad back when I was little. I'm not sure if that had an influence or not, but i've always been closer to my mom, though that seems very normal to me. I just remember that my cousin had given my sister a blue dress and I, for whatever reason, wanted to wear it. I think that because i'm trans gendered, it was a matter of time, not influence, for me to start wearing girl clothes. My role models were all musician though. I doubt that Slash is the reason that I wear skirts though. Then agian, most of my favorite musicians around the time I started were in 80's metal bands, and we all know how they dressed.
    All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. -Edgar Allan Poe

My favorite roll model? Let me see.... Oh yes Betty Boop. Daviolin
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

I had a male and female cousins who both encouraged my dressing. I wore my female cousin's clothes as she and I were close in size and age. My male cousin had a whole wardrobe of dresses, skirts and dressed that way always at home. Sometimes in public, but always at home. I used to wear dresses, skirts, blouses, heels. I have not worn anything like that in 35 years or so. We would play pool (billiards) and watch TV or just hang out the 3 of us. Somewhere my Aunt has a picture of the three of us at their house down by the lake, each of us wearing a bikini!

Jessica Rabbit. Seriously. I saw her when I was a little boy and I wanted to be every bit as beautiful as her... lol!

Aspiring Member
    Both parents were very instrumental in raising me. However, Mom always told me that I was supposed to be a girl. (They already had a son, my older brother.) I have been intrigued by womens clothes, mostly girdles and nylongs, as long as I can remember. In fact, the earliest thing that I can remember is seeing my Mom with nylons and girdles - I was probably about 3 - long before puberty. Always wanted to look at them and trying to get a glimpse under a dress, even at 3 yrs old. I don't appear efeminate and am certainly not gay. I wonder at times if, when in the womb, with my Mom's strong desire to have a girl, if it had an effect on my development. The desire has expanded and changed to all of womens clothes now and I dress as often as I can which is several days a week - at least to some extent.
    BTW, I am not out of the closet.
    SheriM