Thread: Schools that teach Female Etiquette, Mannerisms and Posture?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned Read only

Schools that teach Female Etiquette, Mannerisms and Posture?

I was just wondering where one would look to find a place that teaches Female Etiquette Mannerisms and Posture?

Would like to hit all three at once, so I can get some personalized one on one training to learn how to be a lady better.

posture, walking, talking, gestures, standing and talking with others, greetings, departure's, formal and informal female practices.

I don't do too well with video's or tutorials, I learn better if I have someone showing me and guiding me.

looking for something or someone in the Nashville, TN area.

Aside from gettin the lessons on disc (search the web for that one) I'd just head to the local mall.... stay away from walymart unless you want to know what not to wear.... LOL...

Check out the youtubey videos and then practice, practice, practice....

I bring a lot of the mannerisms from the girl side into the other side of my day to day life.... Like getting into the car. Butt first then swing the legs in. It's so easy. Now not all GGs do it that way, but the really good ones do..

Renne.....

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by RenneB View Post
    Aside from gettin the lessons on disc (search the web for that one) I'd just head to the local mall.... stay away from walymart unless you want to know what not to wear.... LOL...

Check out the youtubey videos and then practice, practice, practice....

I bring a lot of the mannerisms from the girl side into the other side of my day to day life.... Like getting into the car. Butt first then swing the legs in. It's so easy. Now not all GGs do it that way, but the really good ones do..

Renne.....
    i want to work with someone in person. not watch a video. I want interaction with someone while they are teaching me, showing me things, I want feedback on how I am executing the actions.

Gold Member
    I once saw an article about a school near Boston, MA.
    The person applying was a man, and they would not let him in.
    It was stated since it was a privet school, there was no law to
    force them to take on a male student.
    Rader

Quote Originally Posted by RenneB View Post

I bring a lot of the mannerisms from the girl side into the other side of my day to day life.... Like getting into the car. Butt first then swing the legs in. It's so easy. Now not all GGs do it that've way, but the really good ones do..

Renne.....
    I've learned to do that since starting to wear skirts instead of shorts in warm weather. Now it is second nature so I do it all the time, even when I wear pants!

John
    Last edited by JohnH; 05-30-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

There are some people who consult with the MtF TG community and offer exactly those services. A friend of mine used the services of a post-op MtF TS and could only rave about her and the results. I can attest for the results because we have been out together several times. Unfortunately for you, she is out here on the West Coast and charges quite a bit per hour. She handles voice, mannerisms, posture, walking, dressing, fashion and wigs tips. I also know someone who does a somewhat similar service, though I am not exactly sure of her areas of specialty. This one is mobile and may be able to meet you closer to your home. If interested, PM me and I will see if I can find their contact information.

One thing I have been doing is in conjunction with my voice lessons. My instructors are very interested in all axpects of communication, including the non-verbal stuff. So, they have had me work on mannerisms, posture, etc. They had me pick an actress I admire, in my case Cote De Pablo, and watch clips of her on talk shows (not while she was acting) and we would discuss things like how she moves, sits, etc. Another thing I have been doing is observing the way women, especially those I would like to emulate, walk. One great place I have found to do this is at the airport. I just sit there in the chairs outside the security checkpoint and watch the people go by. There are usually lots of women in my age range, and many are business travelers which means thay are dressed a little nicer than average. I also get ideas about what looks good on a certain body type this way. Watching women with a critical eye can be very instructive, both what to do and what not to do.................Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyTN View Post
    I was just wondering where one would look to find a place that teaches Female Etiquette Mannerisms and Posture?
    At the mall? At work? Being a woman around women is the best way to learn how to act like a woman. Boys and girls learn their social roles by emulation. There must be DVD and lessons, but it's like with the voice. It does not happen until you have too use it. I am post-op and I am still learning what it means to be a woman in society all the time.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    At the mall? At work? Being a woman around women is the best way to learn how to act like a woman.
    Yeah, I tend to agree. Go anywhere the GG's are and just watch them. For one-on-one, how about any GG you know? I'm pretty skeptical of these "schools" that teach you how to be "a lady." If it works for you, that's great, but I would rather see how the GG's act in the real world and try to learn from that.
    Debby

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    At the mall? At work? Being a woman around women is the best way to learn how to act like a woman. Boys and girls learn their social roles by emulation. There must be DVD and lessons, but it's like with the voice. It does not happen until you have too use it. I am post-op and I am still learning what it means to be a woman in society all the time.
    does anyone actually READ the thread? I know MY abilities better than anyone else, and how I learn, I wish people would actually READ what I have written, and stop making assumptions that they have the answer, when it in fact does not apply to me.

I don't care about DVD's, I don't care to go to the mall, or watch a youtube video. There's a reason I asked if there was a school or someone who specializes in this. I'm not trying to be cross with you, but it's frustrating at times when what is initially written goes blatantly ignored.

Silver Member
    I think any place that teaches those kinds of things are going to be teaching all those stereotypical, froo-froo, born with a silver spoon feminine etiquette and mannerisms.

And I also think that those posh, holier than thou types would frown on a 'man' wanting to take the lessons.
    Last edited by Bree-asaurus; 05-30-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Silver Member
    Audrey,

Go back and read Fances's post. She knows what she is talking about. She is there, right where you want to be. What she is telling you is the right way to do this. You can't learn it in a hour long lesson. You can't learn it in a week, or a month, or a year even. If you want to know what it's like to be a woman, then you have to hang out with women. You have to live and work and be around women. Girls spend years learning this stuff as they grow up, you will need to do pretty much the same thing.

Now, are there schools like you describe? Yes. Yes there are. They are in every major metropolitan area and many smaller areas. There's one in Barre Vermont for goodness sake. So why don't you utilize one of them? Because they can't do what you are asking, and they are very expensive. Think about it. You want the undivided attention of a teacher for how long? A day? A month? Just how long do you figure it will take? Frances has been full time for years now and she is still learning. The expense become ridiculous. Do you have $20,000 for a year's tuition at Miss Perkins finishing school for girls in Peabody, Mass? It's a four year school.

You don't need to go to the mall if you don't want to. Just go out into the world and live. Pay attention. Listen, watch, be, learn.

Stephie

Google is your friend.

Found this on Manta. It's a modeling school categorized under "Finishing School, Charm and Modeling": http://www.manta.com/c/mm6xkc1/jo-susan-models

Here's the website: http://www.josusanmodels.com/

In addition to modeling and acting classes, they teach poise and etiquette classes, and self-confidence.
    Reine

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    Audrey,

Go back and read Fances's post. She knows what she is talking about. She is there, right where you want to be. What she is telling you is the right way to do this. You can't learn it in a hour long lesson. You can't learn it in a week, or a month, or a year even. If you want to know what it's like to be a woman, then you have to hang out with women. You have to live and work and be around women. Girls spend years learning this stuff as they grow up, you will need to do pretty much the same thing.
    I did read it, but I can't learn that way. I have a short term memory issue, so even if I see it, I can;t remember it a few hours later. I have to see it, do it, and repeat it, and it's better for me if I have someone verbally guiding me, ensuring that I do it correctly, and showing me how I am doing it wrong, how I should be doing it right. Thats why I want the school or a personal teacher. Once I do that, and get the basics down, then I can use video tutorials and what not. my brain is just wired differently in terms of how I learn.

and no, it won't be a year or anything like that, maybe someone I could hire to do some sidework, just working with me individually to get some basics, and then accompany me out in public on a few occasions to monitor my technique and progress. I don't think a 4 year school would be applicable, or necessary, although it would have been a great idea had I been in this process before college, and then it might have been beneficial. But for now, all I want to do is establish the fundamentals and ensure they are sound and properly performed and I need someone to be accountable too, that can push me. I accomplish good things under pressure, but when left to learn things on my own or figure them out for myself, I usually have some trouble finding the motivation to begin and follow through.

I wasn't trying to jump down France's throat, but I clearly stated what I did for a reason, and it seemed like that was either not read, or it just wasn't recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by Bree_K View Post
    I think any place that teaches those kinds of things are going to be teaching all those stereotypical, froo-froo, born with a silver spoon feminine etiquette and mannerisms.
    Pretty much.

And I also think that those posh, holier than thou types would frown on a 'man' wanting to take the lessons.
    Actually...no, some are quite open to it because they know they can make money from transfolk who may be somewhat insecure in their skills since the market for those that usually do such things, like pageant contestants, is small.

http://www.femimage.com/

And at least one post-op TS does image consulting.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyTN View Post
    does anyone actually READ the thread? I know MY abilities better than anyone else, and how I learn, I wish people would actually READ what I have written, and stop making assumptions that they have the answer, when it in fact does not apply to me.

I don't care about DVD's, I don't care to go to the mall, or watch a youtube video. There's a reason I asked if there was a school or someone who specializes in this. I'm not trying to be cross with you, but it's frustrating at times when what is initially written goes blatantly ignored.
    I replied with a quote from you own post. I must have read it, right? Good luck with your transition.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

Funny you should ask, I have started such classes! Together with LGBT organization Metro Wellness Community Center I have established a local Feminine Poise Class, you can find the info at: http://www.facebook.com/FemininePoise

However it is local class and as you point out, the hands on experience is unmatched by simple often misleading videos of :How Toos" on you tube.
    I have though though about structuring some instructional videos so that it would be bit more simple and right down to the core of the essence of femininity and manner, but demand has to be quite large and being in poverty my self such would need to be somewhat sportive as I do nearly everything for free now, lol, but so far I am surviving only on love alone pretty well