Thread: DMV Adventure

DMV Adventure

In a previous thread I asked for advice re: An Enhanced Driver License. Based on feedback here and from the US Border Patrol (yes you can call them) I decided for purposes of crossing into Canada and coming back into the US (most important) that it would be best to go ahead and get the enhanced license but with my male photo. It hurts to just type that. While I haven't changed my name yet my photo on my regular license was Michelle. I went today and did the deed. I dressed in the only male attire I own. One blue striped golf shirt that I kept to work on the car with instead of ruining something nice. I wore the most androgynous slacks I own and I think I pulled it off. I told the girl at the DMV that I had lost my license and needed a replacement and would also like to upgrade to an enhanced license. No problem. That is until I stepped up to the camera to get the photo taken. It turns out that when the brought my record on the screen it showed my old license in full Michelle glory. This caused quite a bit of confusion. I didn't know what was going on just that something was confusing her. She called a supervisor who couldn't figure it out either. They kept punching in my info and getting the same result. Finally one of them motioned for me to come back to the counter and very discretely asked me if on my last license did I have long hair and makeup. I proudly said that yes I did and if not for the fact that it would cause issues at the border I would have the same now. Her only reply was "Wise choice". I left with my temporary and should receive the permanent in 2-3 weeks.

Now for the down side. I feel like I have just taken a giant step backwards in my journey. As tho somehow by giving in and going back in male mode I have let myself down. I am feeling pretty depressed about it. It also means that when we do cross the border I will also have to be male and then change back once across. I think that would make me feel like a crossdresser going to a meetup or something. I don't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with that because there isn't. In fact I attended many such events myself. It's just that I feel that I have come so far. WHEN WILL I GET TO THE POINT THAT I JUST FEEL NORMAL?????
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You worry to much !! What dont kill ya will make ya stronger ,,So just take it like a lady an store it up an you can use that feeling later to get further along in your journey ,, Yull do great ,,Its not like giving up its just taking precautions to not have any unwanted trouble . Ya dont want to end up in mens jail all dressed up an shaved smooth ? LOL,,,
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Banned Read only
    You will have this feeling of let down until you make the move to have your name changed. Then no matter where you are you will simply show your ID and be the person you know you are.

Banned Read only
    Michelle.

Is it money that has held you back from getting your name changed?
    If it's not may I ask why you have waited this long?
    Change you name as soon as it's possible for you to do so.

What has happened was a repercussion of not doing this.

Change your name and move forward.

Julia

I'm in the middle of a legal dispute over my mother's estate. I am the executor and my brother from another state is contesting that. My attorney said we best wait until this is settled since my brother does not know I am trans and no sense giving him ammunition. I know it is holding me back but I'm stuck with it for a while.

Silver Member
    Sorry you are having to do this. I can understand why it feels so bad, because it is not who you are. Hopefully the dispute ends soon and you can just be you and get all this behind you.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Here's some info that may make feel better, Michelle! Years ago my daughter and I were visiting friends near Seattle. We were going to take the ferry to Canada for the day. I had brought my under age daughter's passport and permission letter from her mom. But, I thot my license would suffice and didn't bring MY passport! My friend was worried and had me talk to the local US Customs agent. She said there was a good chance I mite not get into Canada or may not get back into Washington! We didn't go!

So, if u can go back and forth to Eh land from Michigan with a DL, consider yourself fortunate!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Michelle,

I was really liking your DMV story. You can write. But now I see this is a serious post.

You seem to have control of the issue, it is just waiting. I know this is a CD'ing site but if I may they are only clothes. How you feel inside will not change, you are a lady and will act accordingly.
    I will look for your posts you are kind of dangerous and I like that.

Noemi
    polythene pam

I feel for you that you went through this..

I hope you get your personal situation resolved quickly...the issue with the will carries its own burdens and sounds like something that you should get out of the way...

This will pass and you seem to be otherwise doing a great job dealing with your transition situation

My lawyer and dad said the same thing about my name change regarding my divorce. Here I am almost a year later, name and gender marker changed (cause I never listen to anyone) and we STILL haven't filed for divorce! Glad I didn't wait that one out. I'm thinking of paying whatever charge to have my name changed on my marriage certificate just so no one ever has to say that old name again. It's changed everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    I feel for you that you went through this..

I hope you get your personal situation resolved quickly...the issue with the will carries its own burdens and sounds like something that you should get out of the way...

This will pass and you seem to be otherwise doing a great job dealing with your transition situation
    It may seem that way but I feel as tho I am floundering at the present time. I am one of those people that feels that if I am not moving forward then I surely must be going backwards.

Treat yourself well.. floundering is progress too..it may not feel that way but it is...

one thing my friends always said to me was "ups and downs"...just ride them out and keep looking forward as best you can...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    Treat yourself well.. floundering is progress too..it may not feel that way but it is...

one thing my friends always said to me was "ups and downs"...just ride them out and keep looking forward as best you can...
    That seems like excellent advice. Thanks

Everyone has given you good advice but what I don't understand is if you have nor legally changed your name, then how did you get Michelle on your license? Is Michigan that lax? I am sure homeland security would be all over their butts if that were the case. Every license I have got from many different sates, you had to prove you name and residence.

You are either the luckiest woman in Michigan or there is some shenanigans going on!

Just call Me: "W - O - M - A - N"

As King said: "I'm free at last, I'm free at last.
    Thank God Almighty I'm free at last!"

Just change your name legally and like be done with it. Get your photo as you wanta present. It changes nothing about you concerning any other IDs or wutever because anything you'll need or want to change later is over ridden by that "Certified Court legal name change" document. Everywhere I went coulda cared less if I was Minnie Mouse, as long as I had "proof" from the court to put wutever on their paperwork. If you want a womens name but still need to like switch back and forth, then pick one photo from column A or column B. Since I was committed to 24/7 and transition, I picked column B. So many here want their cake AND want to eat it too. .

8rys, going on walkabout
    Quote Originally Posted by Traci Elizabeth View Post
    Everyone has given you good advice but what I don't understand is if you have nor legally changed your name, then how did you get Michelle on your license? Is Michigan that lax? I am sure homeland security would be all over their butts if that were the case. Every license I have got from many different sates, you had to prove you name and residence.

You are either the luckiest woman in Michigan or there is some shenanigans going on!
    From what I read in the OP was that the picture was that of Michelle, where the name would be her male name.
    Which is what I did this year when I renewed my license. My male name and the M is there but the picture is a woman.
    Michigan is not lax when it comes to their licenses, or birth certificates.

Michelle, I hope things take a turn for the better for you soon. I have been in that holding pattern before. It is rough but you can make it through.