Thread: Hair Removal

Hair Removal

Do most people here shave? Or use another method of hair removal?

I have been shaving, just with a normal disposable razor at first and some mosturizing showergel. The results were... well not excellent.

I find i cut myself (lots of tricky area's) and also get razor burn. Well i thought id try a better razor so i bought of of those Wilkinson Sword 'Intuition' which has three blades and this solid 'shave cream' stuff around it.

It's better than the disposable, just, but the shave isnt smooth enough. It feels smooth in one direction, then feel again and i can feel and its rough..

I just orderd some Veet, hopefully that will work better but im wondering if there is a better way that im not thinking of? I was looking at Epilators but im wondering where on the body its safe to use those and also the fact that in sensative area's it might simply be too painful lol.

Is there any methods that slow regrowth over time? Apart from lazer treatment of course.

Well, I believe most people here shave. The richer ones can afford waxing or laser hair removal. As far as veet... if you have thick skin, it might work for you. Personally, it gave me chemical burns, which is not enjoyable at all...

As for epilators, they hurt more than waxing, and yes, on some bodyparts, they can be quite painful. I personally own a cheap epilator, and while I can do my legs with it, it takes me an eternity, leaves them full of red spots, and I can't get it near my abdomen, because it hurts *way* too much. My advice is that if you buy an epilator, you should buy a very high quality one... Otherwise, it's not even worth it.

shaving with the triple blade works very well for me. Veet is not so much fun. It will burn you. be carful.
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may

Deanna Ashlee

Hair Removal

[SIZE=4]I shave, I use a triple blade razor and a " sensitive skin" shaving gel. I find this works well for me [/SIZE]

Shaving

I started shaving with a disposable but found that I soon had stubble and had to repeat shave just about every week. I purchased an epilator, having been told that it can be painful I enquired at Target (on my wifes behalf) and was told that the Braun silk epil was not too bad. Having had it now for about 1 year I have epilated neck to knee including short and curlies. If you start slowly 6-10 sq inches per session and build up over a period of time then the pain factor is lessened. The Braun has 2 heads, one gives a very quick job but is more painful while the second head is designed give a prickling sensation while epilating and is much more comfortable on the under-arms and groin. Yes there is red spots, but they go over night and you will find this happens on the first time and decreases with every use. The really big repayment for the pain is that there is no stubble, even when the hair grows out, it is finer and more easilier pulled next time, this happens every time you epilate so eventually the hair will stop growing. As I said I have had mine for almost 1 year and have epilated just 3 times (approx 3 months between uses) I am just about to do it for the 4th time.
    Advantages :- smooth skin for months, no stubble, fewer shaving sessions.
    Disadvantages. just the pain but this can be controlled, especially if you epilate after a hot bath and just do small areas, leave the under-arms and groin until you have got used to it, and go slow.
    Hope I have been some help, oh by the way the cost was $80 Aust.
    Good luck. Davina
    [SIZE="4"]Australia S/E Qld. That's not a caterpillar on my lip, just my last bit of [SIZE="1"]macho-ism.[SIZE="4"]When that goes [SIZE="6"]LA FEMME IS FREE>[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

I just bought this tonight and have heard good reviews - I tried the Nair - my hair follicles started to bleed, and it stank something awful, so I haven't tried it again!

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/buyinpri...vleglesof.html

Aspiring Member
    Robert,

It depends on where it is as to what method I use. I have had laser to my face to get rid of most of my shadow. I have started on electrolysis now on my face but I've put that on hold for a moment in favour of other bits and pieces.

Legs (and eye brows) I had waxed only yesterday. I have that done every 5 weeks and epilate in between. As others have said to you, epilation does hurt. This is becuase the hair is so strongly rooted and so thick (abundant). The more you do it the less it hurts because the hair gets weaker and thinner. Don't even think about epliating on 'full length' hair - it is too long and just causes pain. Shave (or wax, Veet or whatever) the area totally and allow the hair to grow back to about 3/5mm, then epilate. Another point with epilating is it's better if you have a bath, dry yourself and then do it. I use this method on my abdomen. If I let the hair get a bit too long I wet shave while in the bath and then epilate again once it has grown back.

As others have told you, you need to be careful with Veet and other similar products as they can easily cause painful burns.

The other thing I have in progress at the moment is genital hair removal, for which I am having laser treatment - all round the genital area - (I have had 1 session at the moment and to my amazement it didn't hurt a bit). However, laser isn't cheap.

I did have my back waxed once too . That's NEVER going to happen again - you don't want to go there.

Hope this helps a little.

Anne

Removed!
    I use a cream hair remover and razor for cleaning/missed detail areas.

I went right by the directions and it was great no burning or pain. Kinda messy though. I tried it on my face and left it on 2 muinutes to long and whoo did that hurt.

I plan on getting a braun as soon as I find one for sale somewhere.

On face I use a Mach 3 and Avenno shaving gel. If I am going out and planning on applying makeup I moisturize after I shave. Moisturizing before applying makeup is good practice anyway but a side benefit is that when you are putting it on you can really feel the beard stubble you missed shaving. The moisturizer works well for a substitute shaving gel and you can fine tune your shave right then.

Eyebrows I wax and pluck as needed.

Legs, arms, chest, hands, feet and underarms I use a Venus.

Hugs
    Hey this is me....it's who I am.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks
    outside, dreams. Who looks inside awakens.

-- Carl Gustav Jung

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Ma'am, You can wear the pants in the family....may i wear the dress.

I have just used one of those new vibrating, triple bladed raxors and it gave me the smppthest shave I have ever had. Lasted most of the day too. Highly recommended. Below the neck I use a Satinelle epilator. Everywear below the neck. Not a spot of hair anywhere. Yes. the thing is a little painful when first used. But we girls can take a little suffering to look good. It does the best job of anytjong I have used and I have tried most everything - except for laser and electrolysis. And yes, the hair regrows finer and is eadier to do the next time. Time between epilations is a month or more. No apiky regrows that feels bristly within a couple of hours. Also the regrowth is so light now that I actually can use a regular women,s razor and it lasts for over a week.
    Dawn

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne_0
    Robert,

I did have my back waxed once too . That's NEVER going to happen again - you don't want to go there.

Hope this helps a little.

Anne
    I have my chest and back waxed every 6-7 weeks, and have been doing for 6 years now, it just feels like ripping off and elastoplat. Unfortunately the hair DOES keep growing back, although I have noticed small areas where it seems to have stopped growing.

I shave my legs, and "veet" my arms and back of my hands,

as for the hairs on the palms of my hands ...... well .....

I use Skintimates gel and a Venus Divine triple-blade to take off heavy growth, then, as long as I make sure to do it daily, a Panasonic Close Curves Wet & Dry shaver, with the gel, in the shower, keeps it off without using up the expensive Venus blades.
    But since foil shavers aren't so good for longer hairs, if I miss more than a day, it's back to the blade...
    [SIZE=1]
    Marge, you being a cop makes you the Man, which makes me the woman. And I have no interest in that!

...besides occasionally wearing the underwear, which, as we discussed, is strictly a comfort thing.
    ~ H. Simpson

Silly goose, of course that's not me in my avatar![/size]

Shave!

From what I've read since I found this forum is that unless you can afford a more effective professional method of hair removal, most of us will just have to accept that keeping hair away is a labour intensive activity! I shave - carefully! - about every 3 or 4 days after taking a bath and get the results I want, without any pain, allergic reaction, red spots, or ingrown hairs. Apply a generous splosh of body lotion/moisturiser afterward. It's simple, cheap and it works... for me!

I used an epilator for the best part of the year (about every 2 to 3 weeks) but I can't honestly say the regrowth was any finer than before. Despite bathing I got the red spots, and despite exfoliating I still spent loads of time picking out ingrown hairs - urgh! As for tackling areas of coarser hair with an epilator you have to get some sort of masochistic pleasure from it to do that - ouch!

re: Hairremoval

Dear Robert,

After shaving your legs it might be a solution to use some babyoil or other caring product. Myself use oil from Kneipp. A few drips on your hands and masage it in wenn the legs are still wet.

Love,
    Lotte L

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Do most people here shave? Or use another method of hair removal?

I have been shaving, just with a normal disposable razor at first and some mosturizing showergel. The results were... well not excellent.

I find i cut myself (lots of tricky area's) and also get razor burn. Well i thought id try a better razor so i bought of of those Wilkinson Sword 'Intuition' which has three blades and this solid 'shave cream' stuff around it.

It's better than the disposable, just, but the shave isnt smooth enough. It feels smooth in one direction, then feel again and i can feel and its rough..

I just orderd some Veet, hopefully that will work better but im wondering if there is a better way that im not thinking of? I was looking at Epilators but im wondering where on the body its safe to use those and also the fact that in sensative area's it might simply be too painful lol.

Is there any methods that slow regrowth over time? Apart from lazer treatment of course.

A tip on waxing, to cut costs. I've used, with good results, a local beauty college. I save about 50 percent over what a regular salon would charge, and believe it or not, they've always liked having a male come through the door for waxing, as it gives the girls a chance to practice on a man.

I've had my back, chest, and abdomen done here, and as they are eager to "get it right" they'll take time to tweeze every last hair that the wax doesn't get.

Last time I was there they said, "next time, you should let us do your legs, pits and arms too." Now to get my gf to be more accepting, but a story for another day.

Take your tylenol first!

Good luck,

-S

It wasnt veet sorry, it was Nair. Well after shaving i always felt 'rough' still and that made me shave again... and again... which kinda left a razor rash and often slight 'cuts' -- I tried the nair, followed the directions as best i could but no go it did remove some hair but not all of it. I tried it on my face and legs.

Unfortunatley i found it was a little bit burney so im a bit red and 'blotchy' as it were. I also used it in some more sensative area's and then realised it said on the box not too...DOH! I wouldnt mind the irritation if it worked, but i tried it thick, thin, medium and it still didnt seem to remove all the hair -- it was smoother but you could still see hair. So i redid it and thats when things got a bit sore, and messy. But nope still not hairless lol - Going to find another method i think.

I might go with the epilator... as long as it works i dont care about the pain lol.