Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TG friendly shops?

TG friendly shops?

I know this will probably differ per location, but sometimes I'll hear that Macy's is TG friendly, Goodwill thrift store is not, etc - Which stores work for you & which don't? Thanks - BrendaB

To be honest most of them are TG friendly if you give them your money Hon. In that respect neither Goodwill nor Salvo have any reason to be snooty.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I really don't choose TG shops! I shop everywhere and anywhere! Haven't had a problem in twenty five years! Money talks! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

That's very interesting, I like to go out dressed to thrift stores. I found that mom and pap thrift stores are very friendly and Goodwill on the other hand gives me a bad vibe. The employees do and say whatever I want.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress

I walked into a payless shoes not too long ago and the assistant manager noticed my fingernails were painted. She put me at ease and helped me with shoes. It was a liberating experience.

The most TG friendly place isssssssssssss ????? Where they take MONEY !!! They dont care who wears it why they wear it when they wear it or how they wear it or even if they wear it ,,What the DO CARE about is who PAYS for it !! Now go in a store an spend a boat load of cash an they will surely be TG friendly to you anyway ,, The places I go ,,They meet me an my wife at the door ,, Cuz they know we are going to spend . So dont worry be happy an go an shop an yull make all kinds of friends an forget all about what , When ,,Where ,Why,, Just gooooooo ,,Wait ,,,,Ill get my purse !!!
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Miriam
    It's really impossible to make broad statements about most types of shops since their acceptance varies more with the individuals at the stores than policies. This is certainly true of most thrift shops.

The exception seems to be that there are a few chains with pro-active TG-friendly policies, and we hear about them on this forum now and then. I seem to remember hearing about MAC, Macy's, and a few others. I'm sure a few people will weigh in on their favorites.

Miriam

I have to agree with the others here. Most places are TG friendly assuming your going to spend enough money. Could there be a few employees of stores that are jerks. sure but overall your money is just as good as anyone elses.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

Just look for the secret sign in the window that says the shop is CD-friendly. It says, "OPEN."

- Diane

I've never had a problem at thrift shops including Goodwill. All were friendly.

Aspiring Member

My experience

Let's see, Macy's, Kohl's, WalMart, Marshals, etc.
    I have tried on and purchased fem clothing at all the above as well as several others. I never had any problems. The SA's were all friendly and professional.

They really want our money, they don't care about much else.

Enjoy shopping,
    Sandra1746

Macys is very tolerant of tg folks, I believe their store policy permits us to use the fitting rooms after a snit they had a couple of months ago. I get treated very well there.
    In fact, here's me at the womens' fitting room at Macy's today, and yep, that's my real hair.:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have found Payless to be great. As with most stores. I had one place ask me not to come back but I think that was the sales clerk's personal opinion. I have shopped at Wal Mart a lot and only once was someone rude. The best was J C Penneys. I had a sales girl help me and made some great suggestions.

Overall I agree with most here, Anywhere. Even if you have a bad experience don't let it slow you down, they will be rare.

In my experience, every place I've been has been TG friendly. I shop a lot so that is a ton of experience! Whenever you hear about bad experiences, it is caused by specific individuals (employees or customers), and not because of a store's policy. It is about your attitude and the people you meet by chance and not the whether the store is TG friendly or not. Don't let an isolated incident at a specific store taint the entire chain.

Last fall I hosted what was called a thrift store crawl. A group hit 4 thrift stores on a Saturday afternoon. No one experienced any problems and most found a ton of bargains. Two of them were Goodwill stores.

I've found for me, any store that has a sign that says sale 20-50% off, is TG friendly to me!
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

At my favorite Goodwill store the the nicest clerk greets me by name whether I am dressed or drab. Sometimes they ask, "When are you going to come in with another cute outfit?"
    Payless in Wyoming Mi is also really nice, drag or drab.

I've never encountered a non tg friendly store. They all love us, because we spend money. Besides it gives them something to talk about around the dinner table. Daviolin
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

Many national and international chains have corporate policies that not only are tolerant of LGBT customers, but require all employees to take diversity training and confirm that they are aware of the diversity policy. In many states, it's illegal to discriminate or intimidate trans-gender customers. This includes men who come in dressed as men and want to shop for women's items. The will often watch the dressing room to make sure that you are not gawking at other customers and making THEM feel uncomfortable, but as long as you behave appropriately, they will generally be very friendly and supportive.

One thing that stores are aware of is that TS/TG/CD customers frequently spend more - because they are less likely to find items on the bargain rack that fit. They tend to buy the newer items, choose items they really like rather than just what's cheap, and they frequently buy a number of items from the same store and return to the store and/or the franchise frequently when treated well. CDs often have higher incomes and are more willing to spend more of that income on women's clothing. If you have a customer who will spend as much as $10,000 a year on women's clothes, would you want to turn that customer away?

Just looking at this thread, and the number of people who said "Not Good-Will" - I can't help but wonder if Good-will would see this, realize that this thread has cost them $20,000 or more in lost sales, and re-think their treatment of transgender customers. I generally don't like going to good-will because they don't have much that fits. There is a very nice thrift shop a few miles away that is very friendly, sorts their clothes by size, and usually has very high quality items. They have dressing rooms, but if you want to try on a coat or hold up a pair of pants to get an idea of whether it will fit or not, there are no problems from the staff.

The only problems I've ever had in almost any store has been with other customers. If I'm coming into the store in "man-mode" after work, and looking at some feminine items and checking them out, or trying them on, I find that younger girls from low-income neighborhoods seem to have the hardest time with their manners. They will start laughing very loudly, sometimes they will even speak to me rudely. One time, when this happened at a store I patronize regularly, the clerk asked the girls to either mind their manners or leave the store.

I have switched from my large man's wedding ring to a nice feminine ring and a woman's watch. I wear them all the time. I am surprised at how many compliments I get, especially when my nails are done too, even when I'm wearing my man's coat and no wig.

When I'm fully dressed, I dress situation appropriate, and pretty much blend in. I'm actually less noticed as a woman than I am as a man. When I want to go out all dolled up and dressed to kill, I can still turn heads and stop traffic at 56 years old. I get lots of compliments from men and women, and some women even say "I'd never go out with you like that, you got better legs than I do!".

If you walk into Nordstroms dressed like a $3 hooker, you might find the sales clerks less receptive. On the other hand, if you walk in wearing designer shoes, a sensible length skirt, a blouse that doesn't show the cleaveage you don't have, (even if you do), and a nice designer jacket, along with some sheer support hosiery, you will be welcomed as someone who appreciates fine clothing and knows quality when she sees it.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferR771 View Post
    Payless in Wyoming Mi is also really nice, drag or drab.
    That's where I got my only pair of heels! I'll have to go back for more!

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane Smith View Post
    Just look for the secret sign in the window that says the shop is CD-friendly. It says, "OPEN."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tina B. View Post
    I've found for me, any store that has a sign that says sale 20-50% off, is TG friendly to me!
    Must be a regional thing. Here it is the stores that have a sign that says "VISA Accepted".

In this economy... Turning away paying customers for any reason is financial suicide... Shop where ever you want and buy what ever you like. I do.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Very few places will turn you away as long as youare not overtly dressed.
    Don't dress so as you stand out and make a spectacle of yourself.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

It's fun to shop dressed and have tryed on clothes while doing so, both penny's and macy's. Nice to be asked "can help you find anything?" by an SA. I use to feel awkward about shopping in man mode but not any more - just do and look as I want --- the wife on the other hand preferes if I have to have something while we are together shopping that she takes it to the cashier......................Debra

Thanks for all the replies

Brenda

It;s it important to look for the secret cd friendly symbol on the front door (VISA). lol

They all want your money, I have gone everywhere, my favorites are MAC they love CD's Nordstroms, Macy, dress barn, fashion bug and payless