Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are women's clothes so much better?

Over and over this gets stated as if the reason men crossdress is because there's not enough variety in men's clothes. The problem is it's just not true. I was just in the city today and I couldn't help but notice a few different guys that looked great. They were obviously gay except for one of them who was probably also gay (Castro) but he looked quite fetching in his tight in the right places slacks and a silk or satin tank top (wasn't that close to him) under a fitted (but still blousy) almost see through white linen shirt. Very nice. The other guys I saw were dressed almost but not quite feminine. Two of them were also in the Castro and one of them was up the hill at UCSF. One was wearing capris with a pair of Tom's and a really cool looking sweater. Another guy had this great preppy look with khakis and an un-tucked oxford under a slouchy sweater.

Geez, the options are literally endless and they range from casual to dressy to saucy. There is an awesome assortment of shoes available to men as well. Go into any decent men's shoe store and prepare to be amazed. The funny thing is, most of the CD's would never dress with style and flare because they don't want their friends to think they're gay or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    The funny thing is, most of the CD's would never dress with style and flare because they don't want their friends to think they're gay or something.
    Or they don't know how?

Aspiring Member

it has already begun

Quote Originally Posted by Megan_Renee View Post
    Well... I want choice. I want skirts.

Ok, here it is! REVOLUTION time... We need to start a fashion movement that encourages men to wear more skirts.... Or would it be more men to wear skirts?

MORE SKIRTS (either way)
    have a look at
    www.hisblackdress.com
    dresses for boys..................................!
    While I agree there is a lot of choice, I have a suspicion that much of the "fashion" world plays on women's insecurity, and of course, there is always the economic part. A blouse a week, etc, men are not by nature clothes shoppers, so the appeal to women to spend money is very big, and of course, mass production makes that possible. When dresses were handmade, one wore them to tatters I'll bet.

Megan you are sooo right about women's clothes being better than men's. So much to chooise from,softer styles and nicer colors. My women's clothes seem to fit a lot better too.
    I am who I am...I am very happy with who I am! I am transgender! Time for others to deal with it or get out of my way!

And there's also the google image results for "manskirts":

http://www.google.com/search?q=mansk...iw=904&bih=522
    Reine

There are probably many reasons why we think women's clothes are better. In a perfect world clothes would be just clothes and I could wear what I want any time and any place without anyone thinking I'm strange !! My favorite will always be a Full skirt with a petticoat.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    And there's also the google image results for "manskirts":

http://www.google.com/search?q=mansk...iw=904&bih=522
    Yes. You have it now... Definitely time to put some mind altering drugs in the water...

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Right. And unless it is a super well constructed bra that fits to a tee, no one can tell me that bras are more comfortable than wearing none at all. Or girdles, control top pantyhose, and any number of constraining items. Exciting for CDers? Absolutely. But comfortable?
    I find girdles, control top pantyhose, and panties many times more comfortable than my male underwear is. I love the feeling of being hugged by my undies It also is wonderful to wear things that actually provide support for my aching back.
    People who live in glass houses should pull the shades down!!

Lol ask this question in the FTM forum and see what they have to say about it.

Well I had a funny answer, but as usual ReineD, took the wind out of my sails before I got here, I think womens clothings is better , because it's womens clothing!
    I know they are not as well make, fall apart quicker, and require more maintenance, but they are womens clothing! Sizing is hard to figure out, things don't fit right, but they are womens clothes! After all, I'm a crossdresser, it's important that they are womens clothes, or it just won't work. ReineD, you may be the smartest crossdresser I've ever known, to bad your a girl. lol
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tina B. View Post
    I think womens clothings is better , because it's womens clothing!
    Perfect Tina. For the life of me I don't understand why they all can't just admit this. Of course I did decide to transition because I hate the site of urinals, but that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Some of what Reine said in her first post is true but then again most men that I know would be too embarrassed to wear some of the men's clothes that she mentioned.

I just Love being a Gurl! bobbimo's Avatar
    I wish I could find a way to make this reply clap and yell YEA!! you got it.
    The first time I went shopping for girl clothes with my wife I was blown away on how wonderful the selections were, and such variety and textures.
    AND so many on sale too.
    There are always beautiful dresses that are on sale for next to nothing, where the men's dept has overpriced shirts, that no one in their right mind would wear, marked down $5.
    AND then there is the lingerie dept. Oh My!
    I think its time to head into town. :-)
    Aint nothin gonna happen that aint supposed too!

Think is Billiebabe....Peacocks, it is the male of the species that is the more flashy and flamboyant....actually in most of the animal kingdom this is the case. In others the critters are equally cheerful and bright. We humans in many ways have it Bass Ackwards, and have the male being mostly utilitarian in the clothing styles.

As for myself, I have a trim body, and long legs. Why the heck should I hide that under ill fitting, baggy pants, (or even well fitting but still featureless pants?) Why can I not show them off under some nylons, and a skirt. Why is it men are forboden from showing their build. Is it any wonder guys allow themselves to get out of shape, and at times fat. I KNOW that my style is part of the reason that I have not gotten overweight, or too far out of shape (Despite my thin scrawny build I regularly lift my GF off her feet and carry her a bit.....though she has done the same with me :P )

But, this is another thing that many forget. Women's clothing. It takes more "work" to get into. Think about it. I was changing out of my spandex disco pants (I hate the name, but there we are, but these things. http://store.americanapparel.net/rsa...ml?cid=153-914, mine being black ) to get into my work jeans for a flying lesson (I hope one day to not have to do this and be able to wear what I like ). In the morning to get the DJs on, I had to get out of my jammies, sit down, gather the legs of the DJs up like you would pantyhose, and pull the leg cuff over my foot, and work the material up my leg (yes, just like tights, these things are tight). do the same for the other leg. Then stand up and smoothly and evenly pull the material up my legs. Once up good, I had to get the leg join snug up against me, then pull the top part up, fasten the button and close the zipper. This process took about 3 or 4 minutes. Put the rest of my outfit on, and did my things. Now I change out of them and put the jeans on. I take the DJs off, put on some underwear, and put the jeans on.....the jeans are on in almost 2 seconds. LOL. Compare that to the time it took to get into the DJs. Once again, a very utilitarian characteristic....quick donning, which there is no problem with. But How many men are gonna put in a bit of time, and work just to get dressed? NOt many.

Now, after that think about how long it takes to put on hose, and a skirt, or a dress or what have you. THEN how about the time to do the makeup.

Male clothing for the most part....very easy to get into. Women's clothing, for the most part, takes time and some effort to get into.
    Last edited by Pythos; 06-07-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

The thing I love about women's clothing is that a lot of it is more geared towards sexiness than men's clothing. I love feeling sexy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Megan_Renee View Post
    Ok, here it is! REVOLUTION time... We need to start a fashion movement that encourages men to wear more skirts.... Or would it be more men to wear skirts?

MORE SKIRTS (either way)
    While skirts are much more comfortable than pants, I prefer wearing them because they make me feel femine. A man-skirt wouldn't have the same appeal for me. Maybe part of the attraction is that this is such a taboo for men.

Can I just quote the original poster?

The beauty of women's clothing is that it is designed to accommodate a wide variety of personal styles and physical shapes, whereas men generally are shoe-horned into a small number of styles and shoes.
    I'm a guy who likes girls, I just like a little more about them than the average guy.

I will share what I love about women's clothing. First, the way they hug your body. Female clothes are contoured to show off those gorgious curves. male clothing, on the other hand, just kinda hangs there. Second, I absolutely love the little decorative bits on women's clothes. All those buttons and snaps and the decorative stiching that is only there because it looks good. My favorite capris have these cute buttons on the bottom. They don't even button to anything, they are there because they look good. Mens pants look all the same. every pair of mens jeans are exactly the same. All men's slacks are (except for color) exactly the same. The difference is that women's clothes are designed to look good, and men's clothes are just made to cover stuff up.

I am wondering if the perceived lack of variety of men's clothes is simply due to lack of interest and a limited perception. Walk into any fine men's store and you will find much variety if you pay attention to the details. Saying all suits are the same is like saying all dresses are the same. Suits can be purchased in a number of materials (wool, flannel, linen, cotton, seersucker, etc.) and an infinite variety of patterns and color combinations. In addition suits come in a number of styles. Italian and English suits have very different looks to them, not to mention features such as lapels, pockets, vents, buttons, and vests.

Any other item of men's clothing, if one were to seek it, can be found with the same variety. Shirts, ties, pants, blazers, sport coats, shorts, handkerchiefs, cufflinks, and don't forget the infinite variety and beauty of men's watches.

For example, look in the attached image, taken from a Brooks Brothers catalog. The model in the photograph is wearing several colors and multiple patterns, but an outfit like that is something most men couldn't have even pictured if it were described to them.

The point I'm trying to make is that fun, comfort, and variety is not limited to women's clothing. Men simply need to know where to look and have the confidence to dress a cut above the rest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VioletJourney View Post
    Lol ask this question in the FTM forum and see what they have to say about it.
    Exactly. The cross dressing forum is full of MTF cross dressers who love women's cloths for one reason or another... so it's a little biased up in here :P

Quote Originally Posted by Xrys View Post
    Mens pants look all the same. every pair of mens jeans are exactly the same. All men's slacks are (except for color) exactly the same. The difference is that women's clothes are designed to look good, and men's clothes are just made to cover stuff up.
    Maybe if you just shop at Sears lol... There is plenty of good looking clothing for men. I like when my man dresses up and looks good. I wouldn't want to see him in anything else... like capris or a skirt... lol. I enjoy going shopping with him too, picking out shirts and pants I think would look good on him.

I don't know if they are really that much better. I do know they are nicer and prettier and when we wear them we the get the chance to show how nice we look in them.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Tina B. View Post
    ReineD, you may be the smartest crossdresser I've ever known, to bad your a girl. lol
    Oh no! I've been outed! I'm busted!
    (sorry I took the wind out of your sails ... this was not my intent)

To BilliebabeGG: re my link to the google images of manskirts, I'm well aware this is not something that most CDers will enjoy. Nor should CDers IMO go out looking like men in skirts unless this is comfortable for them. Personally I think it's better to be as under the radar as possible, at least as long as society in general feels a degree of anxiety over men who cross the gender boundaries in their presentation. Still, there are some guys who can get away with the look (it's a whole package sorta thing) and if they can, all the power to them!

To SusanQ: re your comment about constraining garments being comfortable, yes, I know that some people enjoy the feeling of being constrained or bound. My earlier comment was directed to the people who don't feel this way, which I dare say, is most.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    The point I'm trying to make is that fun, comfort, and variety is not limited to women's clothing. Men simply need to know where to look and have the confidence to dress a cut above the rest.
    Great points Alice, and I agree with all of them. And what you describe is true of all items purchased. To someone who is not an audiophile, a speaker is a speaker. To someone who does not collect rugs, an oriental rug is just like any other but with different patterns.

I want to stress here that my point (and several other people's) isn't to convince CDers they should dress more colorfully or discriminately as men and therefore stop CDing. We're just asking you to perhaps look inside yourselves to determine your deeper reasons for CDing. Is it really because women's clothing is more varied/colorful/comfortable, or is it because it is women's clothing, period, and this makes you feel prettier and sexier.
    Last edited by ReineD; 06-07-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Merged posts.
    Reine

Wow! Such controversy... I had no idea there were so many people who would get wound up on this one! Oh well!

I think everyone needs a hug...

{{hugs all around}}

Megan, don't confuse a lively discussion for getting all wound up!

I think it's really good to talk about this, don't you?
    Reine

Feminine clothing does feel good, but part of that good feeling is being aligned with the person I am inside. Therefore, getting the outside package to look more like the girl who God made me, makes Him wink and smile. ;-) ;-) ;-)