Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ham radio cd's

Ladies,

I have to chime in here. General Class operator here. I mostly do digital work. In fact, I'm running JT65 on 20m in another window as I type this. I get "drafted" to run the digital modes at Field Day every year. I have a city manager that belives that he can write a better law than the FCC so I have to use a mobile antenna at my QTH. I know he is wrong, but the city judge doesn't think that. Anyway, I've been able to confirm multiple 10,000+ mile QSO's running lest that 30w on that mobile antenna.

On a side note, the WV QSO party is this comming weekend. I'll be running the Digital Bouns station. It will all be on 20m since my mobile antenna will only tune on 20. I'll start with RTTY at 1600z and move to PSK sometime after that. Hope to work you.

If anyone would like to talk, PM me. We can talk about dresses, makeup, shoes, radios, antennas, qrp, homebrewing equipment, or just about anything you want to.

88's for now,
    Leanne

Arrow Re: Ham radio cd's

Have been licensed since 1956 as a Novice. Upgraded to General in 1957 and Extra class in 2001. Mostly PSK31 on 20, 15 and 10 meters. As Leanne posted I can not put up outside antenna as I am eight floors up. No balcony, so have a 20, 15 and 10 meter dipole strung around my bedroom window. Have worked all of USA except for Hawaii and the Canadian provinces except for the far northern provinces on PSK31 with about 20 watts. Also quite a few digipeats on ISS APRS also PCSAT when it was working before the batteries went dead on PCSAT (NO-44) with my Kenwood TH-D7A(G) HT when it is on 145.825 from the parking lot at my QTH.
    Last edited by Phoebe; 06-11-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Add one more to the list. I obtained my Novice license back in 1961 and my General license in 1965. I spent most of my time on 6 and 2 meters using an HE-45B and a Heath 2er with stacked halos on the rear bumper of my Chevy and the same outside my bedroom window. I was a NYC Boro leader in the Civil Defense networks of RACES and AREC.

WOW, did that take me back. LOL....

BTW, I have been inactive for over 40 years.

I find it a bit surprising at the number of hams here. I have an Extra. And a friend in Texas is a ham and CD.
    [SIZE="3"]
    *** Barbie Lanai ***
    [/SIZE]

I don't find it surprising at all, considering the age and geekiness demographics of the forum!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Count me in too! Novice in 1959, General in 1960, chiefly enjoy DX. It's great being able to enter a DX pileup from Wyoming!

Me too. A full code Extra. Love DX and island chasing (IOTA & USI).
    Hugs,

Teddie

There used to be a Yahoo Group 'CQ TG' or something like that. The group was not to active so it was taken off by the group owner. I was on Tri-Ess chat room a few years ago and the other CD mentioned ham radio and then I said I was a ham also. We exchanged call signs on chat and found that we had QSO'd on 20 meter PSK31 quite a few times previously to Tri-Ess chat room, without knowing we were CD's.

Was a field radio operator in the army and learned code. Still know it (at least to send). Never followed it up in civilian life.

Not a CD but a GG, got my tech license around 1990. I haven't been active for years, though.

Living in CD Heaven Helen Grandeis's Avatar
    Full code extra class. Do not own any functional equipment. My employer has asked me to get a quote for $5000 worth of amateur radio equipment as a method of last resort, Fukishima scenario to back up all the satellite phones and other traditional emergency equipment. So...I may be able to get back on the air in my own time on my employer's dime.
    Last edited by Helen Grandeis; 06-12-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    Best Wishes for Personal Peace & Happiness
    -
    Helen Grandeis

Michigan, SE and Michigan Upper Lower Penn./ just under the bridge like a troll
    I'm not I ham but my Grandfather was. He had a Halicrafter reciever and a very modified heath kit transmitter. He operated on 10, 20, 40, and 80 meters. It was great to go in his ham shack and hear conversations from all over the world. Sometimes i even got to talk to my family in other country's. I really miss being able to do all those things since he passed away.

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    I have a 2 meter radio in my car. Locally, there are not any more repeaters and so I monitor aircraft frequencies. . .

I'm in too... Licensed Tech-no code > 20 yrs. Recently my son has become interested. He has his own call and I've upgraded to General. And I'm now studying code. The SO has been working on the genealogy and it turns out both Grandfathers were Western Union telegraph operators circa 1910. I always knew one had been in the signal corps circa WWI. Learning about the other (quite a feat due to a Govmt FU involving crossed names), OK I'm already pointed down this road. I owe it to them to become proficient.

2M is mostly dead here in the desert. I recently acquired a Yeasu FT-817nd but the QRP is holding me back and I have yet to make an HF contact. Also I live in an antenna restricted HOA and that's a hinderance. I expect the upcoming field day to correct HF contact deficiency.

Woot... my Universal Radio order just arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda456 View Post
    I have a 2 meter radio in my car. Locally, there are not any more repeaters and so I monitor aircraft frequencies. . .
    Have 35 active two meter repeaters listed on the Minnesota Repeater Council list in the twin city Minnesota area. Not very many seem to be active now. Think it is due to traffic conditions require a lot of attention to driving rather than using the radio while driving. Still see a lot of cell phones being used while people drive! There is a state law making cell phone use illegal while driving, but not many obey that law it seems! Most active is the Skywarn net when there are threatening weather conditions forecast.

Wow, HAM radio still exists?
    That is so old school! Luv it!

I'll probly be a "terminal Tech"...
    Oh yea, and I still have a RadioShack HTX202

Heh.. HTX-202.

That was the "carrot" for my son to get his license. The deal was once he had his call, the radio was his. He got an Wouxon dual band (2m/440) for his birthday.

We still call the HTX-202 the "carrot" and it gets used surprisingly often. I'm taking it to Field Day next weekend.

I consider myself more of a DX chaser. I find it remarkable that ham operators can make contacts around the world with 1500 watts and considerably less.

I never got licensed because I'm not much of a talker (my post count says different). Anyways, I like the old tube sets, this National 300 was a blast to get working and rivals my Icom receivers. Nothing like the glow of tubes and a bunch of knobs to twist.

Oh..I hear lots of hams joking about the LBGT community and issues so be careful out there.

Extra Class Here

Novice in 1980. Lapsed and re-entered the hobby in 2007 when they changed the rules to code-less licenses. I took the tech exam passed it, the general exam, passed it and the examiner said heck you might as well take the Extra exam. Passed that too. It helped that I am an RF/Microwave engineer. Now I'm looking for a club in SE Mass to join - would be great if there were a TG friendly one.