Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do most CDs think that dresses and skirts are only for women?

Do most CDs think that dresses and skirts are only for women?

I have read numerous posts here and elsewhere along the lines of, once I put on the dress I felt totally at home and I knew I was a woman, or, once I saw myself in the mirror with full make up and wig I saw the person I was ment to be,or, I wore pantyhose and immediately began to feel more feminine. Does this mean that CDs feel that these clothes are for women? I do not subscribe to this. I am a man and wish to remain so even when I am wearing only "female" clothes. I don't agree that clothes should be gender specific. I know that society will not change for a long time but most changes begin with a thought. What are others views on this?

The dresses I wear, and all the accessories, underwear, and prosthetics I use to create the feminine illusion, are all clearly made for women. Whether or not I feel that clothing should be gender specific really doesn't enter into it. The manufacturers were absolutely creating these things with women in mind. Even the ones who made my breast forms, while they might sell plenty of them to men, do so for those who wish for a more normal and obvious feminine appearance.

I know that there are many androgynous people out there, and that they wish to blend the genders together and perhaps move the societal norm more towards acceptance of the wearing of feminine attire by males. However, I believe that most people subscribe to a pronounced difference between the genders, and enjoy accentuating that difference in the clothing choices they find available to them. When I dress, I am emulating a female appearance, and wish to appear to myself and others as a woman, not some amorphous androgynous male in feminine attire. These are women's clothes. Let there be no doubt about it. And I, for one, like it that way.

When I dress up in male mode, my wife has a great appreciation for it as well, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Banned Read only
    My inner woman, Stephanie, always desires to be adorned in a dress with proper undergarments (bra, panties, slip), hosiery and heels. My inner woman would not be caught dead in women's jeans or pants. Jeans and pants were originally designed and created for men. Women have just co-opted them for their personal use. What a shame! Frankly, if society did not create gender specific clothing, how would I ever feel feminine? Dress for work on Monday? Dress slacks, shirt and tie on Tuesday? Loin cloth on Wednesday? That would be very confusing for Stephanie.

Well, last time I looked in the mens department There were NO dresses or skirts., found them in the womens department, go figure? I am proud to be a guy to my wife and her best friend Bobbie also. Each side of me has its place.

BobbieB

No matter if the dresses, skirts, etc. I own were designed for women, they are mine now because I bought them. That's actually how it works -- if you buy it, you own it. You can wear whatever you can afford to buy and choose to wear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Banned Read only
    Very simple answer: most CD's do know that the manufacturers of skirts and dresses are designed only for women. But CD's love them too.

I guess that would depend on just who the "woman" is Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I can only speak for me, but All I ever wanted in life was the fashion choices of women. I do not have a dress or skirt fetish, it's about the choices of expression that women have. I want the same. Therefore I do not feel my inherent birth gender is important. I just go as I go. Gender to me is how you feel, not one side/other side with a delineation mark in between that society rigidly defines.
    I personally think that the reason so many crossdressers prefer dresses & skirts exclusively is because they've been deprived or denied the experience of having society allow you to wear a dress. But being a woman is a psychological thing that goes beyond the clothing.

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    I am happy being the man that I was born; I simply feel more comfortable, at ease, and happier in clothing made and designed for women. I have no desire to become a woman, and nothing beats seeing an attractive lady in tight pants or a short skirt in my eyes.
    I just like the feel of the fabric, the way a skirt brushes against my smooth legs, the way a sports bra clings to my chest, the look and feel of pretty patterned satin panties, a soft pretty nightie, or a nice color on my toenails. I am much cooler in the summer with hairless legs, and it feels great when a light breeze blows up under my skirt.
    I am not much into shoes, forms, or makeup. Just underdressing, skirts, workout clothing, women's sleepwear, bright and pastel pretty colors and patterns, and painted toes, etc.
    So the answer is yes, there are others that feel the same way you do.
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

I think that women's clothes are for whomever buys them. They are designed, shaped, fitted, advertised and sold for women's figures. Though men sometimes do buy them, they are really for women. As others have said, with no distinction between gender clothes, this world would be one boring place. You, we, can wear whatever you and we want. Yes, you may occasionally run into some negative comments, I haven't yet, but they will come one day. I am a man and remain one when dressed in women's clothes. I really do not change because I am wearing clothes for the opposite gender. They do make me feel good, otherwise I wouldn't wear them. My main reason today for dressing, actually the second main reason because I really don't know what that main reason is yet, is that I get to go out and meet complete strangers and get into some of the most interesting conversations, most of which I would never have dressed as a male. I respect your desire to dress as you wish, but really do not want all men to go out there dressed as women. All my fun by being different when out would disappear.

I have read the same posts and agree that "some" CD's say that when dressed they feel like women. However, I have read an equal number, if not more, that said that they know who they are when dressed as a male and female (the same person both ways). I would say question less and enjoy more. I have more fun when I am not worrying about what society thinks, or anyone for that matter. I like that old musical refrain, "Don't worry, be happy!"

I guess it all depends. As men, wearing a dress or skirt deviates the norm, and we were told we shouldn't do. So when the chance arise, its just alluring. However, i do believe that skirts and dresses are made for the female gender simply by the way they're cut. I mean I don't want to see some big burley, hairy guy in a dress. Do you?... Some dresses we can get away with wearing, but some we can not. I do get your point.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Well, to be completely honest, it has NOTHING to do with my "inner woman" and everything to do with my "outer woman", Georgie! I'm a crossdresser. Which means I strive to look like a woman! NOT a man in a dress!

When I get to Scotland, will I shop for a kilt so as a guy I can "legally" wear a skirt out? Ha ha ha! NOT a chance!!!!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    My inner woman, Stephanie, always desires to be adorned in a dress with proper undergarments (bra, panties, slip), hosiery and heels. My inner woman would not be caught dead in women's jeans or pants. Jeans and pants were originally designed and created for men. Women have just co-opted them for their personal use. What a shame! Frankly, if society did not create gender specific clothing, how would I ever feel feminine? Dress for work on Monday? Dress slacks, shirt and tie on Tuesday? Loin cloth on Wednesday? That would be very confusing for Stephanie.
    Originally?
    Trousers first enter recorded history in the 6th century BCE, with the appearance of horse-riding Iranian peoples in Greek ethnography. At this time, not only the Persians, but also allied Eastern and Central Asian peoples such as the Bactrians, Armenians, and the Tigraxauda Scythians, Xiongnu Hunnu (nowadays Mongolia) are known to have worn them. [4][5] Trousers are believed to have been worn by both sexes among these early users. [6]
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trousers

Silver Member
    I don't feel that way, I would wear (feminine styled) skirts and dresses as a man if it were permissible (and sheer hosiery, high heels and other things men are not "supposed" to wear.)

I'm a dude. If you ask me how I see myself the word male pops in my head. But I feel more like a mixture of genders. I don't think I identify as a third gender or anything though. Also I want to wear skirts an other items cause I don't see them as "only for women". Women wear what they want right? Well so do I.

Banned Read only
    There is no Rocket Science behind all the various clothing cuts, types, styles, fabrics and colors. They are designed FOR women because by necessity [EVOLUTION - which trumps everything] WOMEN need to be more careful about their appearance, simply because men are much more VISUAL [in general] than women. MANY more clothing choices simply allow women a greater opportunity to ENHANCE their appearance. In essence, a greater chance to "catch" more MEN - have more to pick from. Also, they don't call it Makeup for nothing. Most men don't wear makeup because they don't need to to compete for women.

Money is money. Any guy with money CAN purchase any item/s of women's clothing that he wants. And wear them whenever and wherever he wants.

As long as he doesn't care what Society thinks!

Like most things in life, it is about choice.
    Last edited by Wildaboutheels; 06-19-2012 at 03:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Georgina View Post
    dresses and skirts are only for women?
    No, I think they're for crossdressers too.
    Reine

I would say that you are partly right , some skirts you could say are quite masculine when made out of denim or a heavy material and maybe it is possible for some dress's to be the same but when you wear something very soft,silky or floaty it is very difficult not to feel a scene of femininity about it and this is what some like to connect with or use it as a cross over point from masculine to feminine .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

If they weren't just for women I wouldn't wear them!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Hi,

It makes total no difference what i wear. or what im doing or working at, or where i am on planes trains bus's cars trucks, think iv covered it, im still who i am.

it has nothing at all to do with clothes, proberly not what your thinking .
    & iv just covered over 6.000 miles some 5.000 miles on planes & 900 by train sitting next to people allmost all the time, close contact, yet how was i treated as a normal woman because i am one , Oh allmost for got one of the biggest oldest Hotels In Katoomba Austraila, west of Sydney, with 85 other people plus many other people around us .

so about 2.000 people in all that i saw & talked to a few,.

Can i say clothes dont make you a woman even with all the make up shoes & what ever you need to look like one of us. being born is the crux of who we are,

Why should clothes not be gender specific male clothes are not designed for women womens clothes are designed for my body im not a male im a woman.

You said your a male & only a male & thats neat. i wont wear your clothes & why should i they wont fit my body & i dont like or ever have liked male clothes . I wont be conformed to a stright jacket to suit any one else for what ever reason.

any way i design make & sew my own clothes to fit me as a normal female / woman. you see there are body differences that we have as woman that are quite different from men .

I wont comment on your socity & whats accepted or not though i do know , i dont conform or bend to socity. im strong enough to with stand that yet i wear different clothes that are more 1400 to 1700 style & 1900 to 1910.

Yet we & myself get lovely comments from our community. why. because we are accepted for who we are & what we do. & that covers our city's most of the south island, .

We sure dont hide away im in front of many 1.000 's of people & have been over the last 6 years, being a very public person does have me meeting a lot of people not just in N Z , Australia as well.

Have a look at history over in China you may change your mind on gender specific clothes, no way will i be told what they put up with. socity has changed more than you think , people have accepted a lot more, than you give credit for, some thing that i can write a lot about & knowing the people concerned.
    Come over here & youll soon find out, now im not saying its every one yet all those i know & have contact with its very much accepted,

...noeleena...
    Last edited by noeleena; 06-19-2012 at 05:04 AM.

Gold Member
    If dresses where for only women, than pants are only for men, and men only.
    Where does us CDers, as betweens, leave us.
    So it does not make a difference who wears what, you wear what you buy.
    It is society that makes a rule that men are not seen in a skirt/dress.
    So you might want to ask society what is correct for who, and why?
    Rader

I wear a skirt or dress specifically to feel femine (same with the bra and panties). I think I'd regret it if suddently guys could openly wear skirts and dresses.

Does this mean that CDs feel that these clothes are for women?
    Well, when I want a dress or skirt, I always head for the women's side of a shop, and that's where I always find them. So I've always assumed that's who they're for. But that doesn't take account of weirdos like me, does it?
    I do not subscribe to this. I am a man and wish to remain so even when I am wearing only "female" clothes.
    Yes, well, this is where the big divide between the members of the MTF forum is found. Some perceive themselves as men, some focus on their femininity (though our definition of "femininity" is our own, and doesn't always agree with GG's definition of it).

I don't agree that clothes should be gender specific. I know that society will not change for a long time but most changes begin with a thought.
    I don't know that there's any right or wrong on this issue. It's how you feel about things. I myself like gender-specific clothes. I do suspect that clothing will always be gender-specific enough to satisfy those of us who like to cross over.

Annabelle

I buy these clothes which are made for females, designed for females, and which make females more attractive to males. If you want to wear a 'skirt' made for men, buy a kilt. If you want to wear a dress, join the catholic church and become a cardinal or pope or something, and you can wear the dressy thing all you want and feel perfectly male. The whole point is to feel feminine. So, yeah, skirts and dresses are for females. Some of us just have an overwhelming feeling of supposed to be one, and so are far more comfortable dressing and behaving to some extent as a girl/woman. Yeah, it's complicated.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I doubt that very many CDs feel that dresses, skirts, etc. are just for women. In fact, IMHO, most CDs probably feel that skirts, dresses, etc. are the primary reason that they "dress". They love the look and feel of clothes such as these.
    Hugs, Carole