Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's NEVER just about the clothes.

Banned Read only

It's NEVER just about the clothes.

I call HOGWASH.

The reason I ask is that the title sentiment is often expressed at this Forum on a daily basis at various threads by numerous "regulars". It is seen so often [IMO] that any GG coming to this Forum for the first time, is going to assume that it applies to ALL CDers.

Granted, it IS True for most of the regulars at THIS Forum.

Doesn't mean it applies to All CDers or even most CDers. We are all unique and different in so many ways.

This thread is in no way a judgement as to the many reasons WHY we don't dress the way Society expects.

This is basically just a True or False question posted for the "benefit" of GGs.
    Last edited by Wildaboutheels; 06-23-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Gold Member
    Do you thing the reason why we sort of overdress is to distance the fact that we are
    a man in a dress; and do not want to look like a man in a dress.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    Rader

I know it's never just about the clothes for me! It's MORE about who I am and my feelings of who I should be! Clothes for me is a small part of the way I feel inside! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I think what you are highlighting here is a common mistake that some members make when posting.

For example you will sometimes read “we have ALL felt guilty at dressing at some time in our lives” That one always irritates me a little bit because some of us have never felt any guilt.

Or some will say ALL those in the closet are afraid to go out. [That one really gets Suzy gnashing her teeth!]

A GG with a little intelligence is going to read more than just one thread and get a balanced and informed understanding of us lot, I hope!

SUZY

Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post
    The reason I ask is that the title sentiment is often expressed at this Forum on a daily basis at various threads by numerous "regulars". It is seen so often [IMO] that any GG coming to this Forum for the first time, is going to assume that it applies to ALL CDers.
    So tell me. If it IS just about the clothes, then why on earth would a guy want to look feminine, whether he uses any one or several of the following: wig, makeup, breast forms, or shaved legs (and not for cycling purposes)?
    Reine

The whole look for me is how I feel inside. I am more relaxed and feel more in touch with myself. If that makes any sense to anyone?

Hi,

My ? will allways be the same , why do men wont to dress in our clothes, well there seems to be quite a few reasons .

They look nicer feel nicer lovely colours ,& would there be a hint of a little sexyer, Oh and of cause they are made for whom they were not designed for men so what went wrong there. mens body shape is different from us to start with, & so on it goes

Yet heres an interesting point with in our S C A Renaissance group world wide. the 1400 to 1700 's, men did dress in dress's & long robes of all colours of the day & still do, & you know what they really do look pretty good, just one detail though they did not wear breast forms no make up that i know of, though some of cause did years ago. pointy shoes,

With in our group we have over 100 men i mean all out only men some make me look pretty small even though i stand bare feet at 5 ,9. oh well no bigge i am a woman when all said & done just happen to be I S,

Now these men are fighting men in the blockade or dressed in garb for fighting, in the ring.& they are pretty strong ,oh ,no wimps there,

Some thing that does come up to me is if it was only about the clothes why then does it have to include most ..long hair wig, make up & breast forms & high heeled shoes, then to imitate act & manirisims like a woman though the voice does give a male away.

Why do men wont to be like us who are female / woman for me a little different though being intersex, For me its a part of my make up as a person being born female / male at birth,

Theres is one point ill make i know many dresser's do a far better job or look & pass or blend in than i, as iv said before im really not in the running of how many look. fact is id look so out of it id be ashamed to mix with them .

I just came back from Austrial last weekend & before that 4 weeks ago i spent time with 85 trans people at a lovely old Hotel ,
    & i said before going i was feeling a little out of it so even though im a normal woman most if not all were dressed far better than i, im just glad i was doing the photography for the event so i was in camara mode.

I dressed nicely yet you dont allways feel a part of the event yet down the road with other women im more than completly at home with them. funny as i spent more time with staff & other people comeing in to the Hotel & talking with them.

Reine, sure not for swimming ether, he he .......

...noeleena...

I would say you have not noticed the support most if not all GG members and visitors get.

It is explained there is more support available in the FAB section from others who have gone through the same process. Also many members will do there best to help anyone who is new here.

I know we are all different, which is why it can be difficult to understand.

For some it is all about the clothes.

For others the clothes are only an expression of something deeper.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

What about the hair,Plucked eye brows, Shaved body, Painted nails ,Pearced ears, Laser hair removal , Salon trips,,Shopping trips ,, If it was just about the clothes than you could just buy on line dress up at home no makeup hairy body bald head put on your little outfit strut around till you are satisfied an take it off and your done ? Pretty sweet ,,No TROUBLE ,,Dont need a forum to talk to anyone ,,Just dress an undress ,,, Now thats FANTASY LAND !! Heyyyyy Im in ,,,lol,,,
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Aspiring Member
    True - it is not just about the clothes (for me). Although outside of work I tend to be androgynous, I feel women's clothing fit me better and therefore are more comfortable.
    Michele

It used to be about the clothes entirely when I was younger.
    Years of soul searching and discover have brought me to the realization that it is not now and has not been for many years, Just about the clothes.
    The clothes are just a visualization of what is inside me and who I really am.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Trouble.. Yep thats me Beth Mays's Avatar
    I agree with Cheryl T to a ... umm "T"...
    for a great number of years it was nothing more than pantyhose and skirts. As the years have gone by I have come to accept those were small grip of a much larger picture.
    Maximus Decimus Meridius (Gladiator):
    What we do in this life, echoes in eternity..

You can fine me here on Facebook!

Banned Read only
    Ok, so now we are getting somewhere. For at least two women here, it STARTED with just the clothes. Could there possibly be any others here who started the same way? And IF there are more than two, [10, 100, 1,000???] is it not possible that for some it is STILL just about the clothes?

Or would you simply proclaim them to be "faulty" in some fashion? If THEY too did not "progress" and eventually move on to "more involvement" in attempting to present as a woman, as in walk/talk/makeup/wigs etc.??????????
    Last edited by Wildaboutheels; 06-23-2012 at 08:23 AM.

For me it started with just the clothes but has progresed a lot! especially the last 5 years or so .I feel like im on a teeter totter one day i want to be a women the next im only a cder .Saying this im mostly happy where im at but some days it can be irratating
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

I've been dressing for over 62 years now, and for me it's never been about the clothes, It's a deep desire that wells up from deep inside of me, that demands I give my feminine side time to run free, if I don't it becomes a war zone inside my head. over time I will have to give in and satisfy that need, or I feel I'm going to explode. I fill with rage, anger, followed by depression and resentment, and then doing something stupid, until I return to my old happy self. For me Dressing can be as much as a cocktail dress, heels wig and make up with all proper foundation's garments. Or as Little as a pair of Capri's, a tee shirt, and sandals, forget the wig, make up, and forms even. Just as long as the girl in me gets out, she don't care what she wears. If it where just about the clothes, old guy jeans, and a t shirt, are very comfortable. They feel good on, they just don't make be feel better inside.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Catch 22 for me........

From early on as a confused young crossdresser moms clothes seem to beckon to me. When I first put on one of my moms dresses it was exciting, it made me feel good, I liked it. As time went by the clothes bacame more and more irrestible and I was hooked. Was it just the clothes or the way they made me feel while wearing them? I can't get that feeling any other way than to wear womens clothes. For me it is much more than just the clothes but at the same time it is all about the clothes. The feeling that overwhelms me while I am dressed can only be obtained while wearing womens clothes.

So for me.....

"It's never JUST about the clothes." and "It's ALL about the clothes"

I do have to agree that it is about the clothes or the overall "look" to an extent Hon. As this is basically the "vehicle" we utilize to express our inner feelings in an outward way.(Besides, I get away with way more en femme than I ever do en homme.)
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    For me dressing as a female was and is an expression of a portion of my inner self.I don't have to go over the top with a dress and heels every time it can be PJ's or jeans and a t shirt.
    I am glad I came to grips with it and have a basic understanding of gender dysphoria.
    Still don't know where I fit in the grand scheme of it all but I'm happy.

Banned Read only
    How about if I throw something else in just to keep things interesting?

IF you did not start dressing till after - let's say 10 or 11 - I'll stick my neck out and hazard a guess that the first items you tried on were NOT flats, granny panties or granny dresses - floor sweepers - call em anything you want.

Correct?

Heck, even if you did start at 4 or 5, I'll still wager that you did not start with any of the above 3.

OK... I guess I am a 'regular'? Being a 'regular' I have noticed how diverse this community is and yes, you are right... for some CDers it is just about the clothes - happy to be a hairy male digging the feel of the clothes - no problem with this, it is where I began my life experience of CDing (except as a teenager I wasn't that 'hairy'!). But this is a broad and diverse community and at another extreme (if in fact it is a continuum, which it may not be) we have members who have surgery, take hormones and physically change to 'be' as feminine as they can.

I accept that some GGs will get a potentially 'wrong' message, but then what is the right message? We all fall into different categories (and boy do I hate categories!)...

Shelly has mentioned that GGs get a lot of support, but taking on board your comments, maybe on the open forums we all do need to be aware of the messages we are sending out there... I think that is largely about personal responsibility and 'taste'..

But then I personally think the moderators do a great job! They have certainly helped me!

So where am I on the 'continuum' or rather 'spectrum'.... this does not imply a linear relationship so much...

It isn't just about the clothes... the clothes are the symptom... the underlying issue is more complex and that is what a lot of us are grappling with here... I AM ME!
    Last edited by Kaz; 06-23-2012 at 10:46 AM.
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

I wish I could say for me it's about the clothes ... But it's not, I feel fine rather I am drab or drag ( the drag is not open or out in public ).. If I was to be out in drag, I don't think I would be comfortable or not as much as I am in my drab attire ( I wasn't last time I went out ).. At first it was about the clothing , Today it's more about the feeling and fit .. It has to be feminine or I won't touch it when I am in one of those urges to where I feel the need to express..

It's odd how I have progressed , there was a time that under dressing cured the need , but today if I can't fully express I won't bother .. I wish I could go back to where under dressing was enough , has anyone ever done that? Maybe if I get into a serious relationship with a GG that is not very accepting to my desires.. I could fine a way back but as of right now I have no will power or self discipline to go in reverse ..
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

Lucy, you will just adapt to your situation... unless you choose a more permanent pathway... and that is where the TS crowd come in! Ah, life choices!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I find it unlikely that any of us woke up one morning and suddenly stated, "I'm transgendered". There has to be an entry point. The easy entry point is observing girls/women, and one can't observe them without seeing the clothes and hair and makeup! The clothes are a low-energy-barrier way of "sampling" our feminine selves.

At that point it becomes a spectrum from those who find that the clothes are just what they are looking for to those who, a few years later, find themselves living full time as a woman.

Likewise, for me it was the clothes as entry point, and the leap from clothes to "Tina" was a whole 3 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD
    So tell me. If it IS just about the clothes, then why on earth would a guy want to look feminine, whether he uses any one or several of the following: wig, makeup, breast forms, or shaved legs (and not for cycling purposes)?
    Well said, Reine. So, Wild, I expect the next time we see you, you'll have changed your avatar to one without breasts? I mean, simply to wear the clothes, you shouldn't need them, right? Or do you want to wear breasts? What about the hair? You don't need it just to wear some girl clothes. Oh....you want pretty hair, too? Hmmm......something just doesn't add up. Maybe some of that hogwash is contained in the OP.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Lucy, you will just adapt to your situation... unless you choose a more permanent pathway... and that is where the TS crowd come in! Ah, life choices!
    Ha ha..good one Kaz I really like my male self to much to go TS.. If I went T.S. I would have to express my male desires by not shaving and stuffing a rolled sock down there ( no offence to the trans men or T.S.'s here it's just what I would do to keep my balance ) gotta keep a balance and adapt I will.. Progression never ends until the light at the end of the tunnel burned out..

Thanks for the inspiring comment
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.