Thread: Going out for first time, in Knoxvill

Just being true to myself Jolene Robertson's Avatar

Question Going out for first time, in Knoxvill

Hi everybody, I know everyone asks the same questions all the time. I have never been out before and like everyone else am a little nervous about the first time. My wife and I are just planning on a girls day out shopping and what not. Any one been out in Knoxville before? Is there one area that you would recommend over another? I have been debating on what to ware, I usually ware short shorts and always have long hair and girls sandals. But my wife thinks I should go full out, a skirt, wedges forms ... everything.
    What and where do any of you who have been to Knoxville think?

I live in Chattanooga, just south of you. I have no experience in Knoxville, but I'd recommend just applying common sense. Probably not best to hang out at a rough biker bar. Just do what women do. Your wife's advice is right on. Dress fully and have fun. We'd love to hear how your first time out went...

I'd suggest you wear something similar to what your wife wears, to blend in. Unless she's wearing jeans, then go with a jean skirt . As for shoes, wedges are fine with some outfits, as long as you can handle the long time on your feet shopping, otherwise flats would work better if you have them.
    DonnaT

Platinum Member
    Your wife's wardrobe suggestions make great sense. Go all out, look your best and you'll blend in with the other ladies. As for venuse, just do what any women would do on a girls day out. Hit the mall, have lunch, get a pedi - most of all, Have FUN!!! (and get something special for your wife!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jolene Robertson View Post
    Hi everybody, I know everyone asks the same questions all the time. I have never been out before and like everyone else am a little nervous about the first time. My wife and I are just planning on a girls day out shopping and what not. Any one been out in Knoxville before? Is there one area that you would recommend over another? I have been debating on what to ware, I usually ware short shorts and always have long hair and girls sandals. But my wife thinks I should go full out, a skirt, wedges forms ... everything.
    What and where do any of you who have been to Knoxville think?
    I lived in Knoxville for over 10 years before moving to St. Louis in December. I've been out many, many times there. My two favorite bars are Kurt's and XYZ. Kurt's is the Homberg area, and XYZ is a little North of Downtown on Central (You can Google them to find out more). The Carousel, off of UT's campus, can be very fun as well. It's a much younger crowd and much more club scene. I've heard from a friend in town that there is a new bar you can go to off of Chapman Highway, just past the Henley St. bridge near the Disc Exchange, however I'm not sure. Then there is Edge of Knoxville which used to be called the Rainbow Club. When it was the Rainbow club, it was a lot of fun. They had drag shows several times a week. Now that its the Edge, I've only been there a few times, but it wasn't the same. You will be accepted in all of these places with no judgement! All of the bartenders there are very nice as well. Other places you can go and people will be warm to you would be Sapphire or Preservation Pub. I know Sapphire advertises in the Knoxville LGBT publication. Preservation Pub is just a very open bar. However those two bars are not "Gay" bars, and there is a much greater chance of ignorant people.

For shopping, this will all depend on your comfort level. Knoxville during the day, is much more judgmental than Knoxville at night (Same holds true most cities/areas). I think West Town Mall is the most liberal of the places to go shopping. I've had help from the makeup consultants in the Sephora there along with the of the ones in Dillards too. Keep in mind that it will be less busy during the early parts of the day, and pick up traffic as the day goes forward. It's typically less busy at the beginning of the work week as well.

Almost all of the beauty salons are very LGBT friendly. The nicest ones are Natural Alternatives, Salon Visage, Salon Azure and Crop Shop. I've had a full makeover at the Natural Alternatives located in the Sequoia Hills area. Salon Azure used to have a trans-person working there. The Crop Shop is nice, I went to get a manicure and pedicure there, and then walked across the street to hang out at XYZ!

Most of this will depend on you and your comfort level. Since you're going out with your wife, I think you'll feel safer and more adventerous. I'd stick the the more liberal areas of Knoxville though (Not that they are very liberal). Kingston Pike going East from West Town. Downtown is very liberal, and Old North Knoxville.

I hope you have fun on your night out! Please let us know (or at the very least me!) how it goes, where you go and what you do!!!