Thread: How can I improve my makeup skills?

Shikha

How can I improve my makeup skills?

I have tried several times to improve my makeup skills but I am at a total loss. Don't know where to start from. Anytime I try, I just screw up. I can even put lipstick properly. I really need a person who can help me out. I feel very sad sometimes thinking that I am probably a hopeless case. I feel that I might have to stay in the closet my entire life which I don't want to. Is there anybody here who can help me out. I feel very depressed thinking that I may never be able to show my female side to anybody. I would really appreciate if anybody is kind enough to give me some helpful advice. Maybe like a step by step guide, do this or do that. I also have a major problem, my hands start to shake whenever I try to apply makeup. I am only 29 but don't know why this happens to me. I want to show my better half to the world, so any advice will help me a lot. I know some of your here are very good in this department with makeup and things, can you please give this friend some little advice.
    I have attached some pictures so that you get to see how horrible I am when I try to put makeup. Any suggestions on what to use will be also helpful because I don't what makeup to wear either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shikha
    I had high hopes that I might get some help from somebody. I am a novice and anything that you might say will help me build my confidence at the very least. I am sorry if I asked too much from you. It's just I am too depressed as I feel that I probably cannot become what I want to. Please, if anybody's reading this, your advice might help me.

It takes a lot of practice to get good at makeup. It is an art form in many ways and some are naturally better at it than others. Your expectations at this stage of your experience may be too high, thus causing some of your displeasure. It takes time and lots of practice. You will also buy and throw out makeup until you find what works for you. There is trial and error involved, and everyone has gone through it.

It is difficult in this type of format to give truly useful makeup advice. Tastes differ and small, two dimensional pictures are often not accurate portrayals of your actual appearance. There are literally thousands of videos on YouTube about all types and aspects of makeup. A Google search is also very useful to find web sites, many with videos, on makeup. Makeup books are also a good source of information if you prefer that format over videos. Unfortunately, there are no simple tips or magic pieces of advice that are substitutes for knowledge and practice.

Keep working at it and don't get too discouraged. It takes time, patience and perseverance.
    Last edited by Melissa Rose; 06-27-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Typo repair

I have trouble too. If I take my time, and imagine exactly what I want, I usually do okay. I've also spent a lot of time on YouTube watching makeup vids. Most go overboard, but some are pretty good.

Silver Member
    Actually it's not too bad---lip stick and cover look good--might try some blush on the apples of your cheeks (blush powder with a brush to put in on) -I also like a light colored concealor under the eyes. Put powder over the concealer and facial make up to "set" it. Also false eyelashes and dark eyeliner--pencil on the bottom of the lid, liquid on top with dark eyeshadow on the lids and lighter eyeshadow in the crease of the eyelid and under the brows--All these things take practice to get it right--particularly putting on false eyelashes is a challenge but it is fun to work at

I think that you could do two other things to help---first get your eyebrows waxed by a professional---you don't have to pay too much and you will be suprised at the difference it will make in your look----you don't have to get the real hyper feminine Bette Davis--30s movie star wax job but something to shape the eyebrows and make them less heavy--talk to the beautician about it, she will know what to do. The second thing I would do is invest in another wig--something with more volume and more lenqth-it will make your face seem smaller and more femme--good luck and have fun
    Last edited by MsJanessa; 06-27-2012 at 08:07 PM.
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Hi you have to give people a chance to reply.

Disclaimer: Not that i consider myself an expert or anything.

There are lots of resources out on the internet pertaining to makeup. These resources may be Crossdressing specific or for trying out particular looks there are a ton of information out there (blogs, YouTube, or other types of web sites like from cosmetic companies that are helpful)

I guess a starting point is what do you do now? I see lipstick, but i can't see in the photo what you have done to your eyes.

Just as an observation I see a bit of beard shadow which you might try to avoid, first by shaving closely and then using a concealer to mask some of the darkness that a beard shadow gives you.

To break things down for you makeup can generally be broken down to 3 areas:
    1 Face - foundation to even out skin tone, concealer to disguise shadow like i mentioned or lines or other dark circles or blemishes, Rouge on the cheeks to give you a rosy look, and optionally bronzer to help define facial features.

2 Lips - this usually means lipstick or lip gloss, and as an option a lip pencil to define the shape of the lip

3 Eyes - this usually involves an eyeliner to line the eye either fully or partially, a shadow to give the eye some color ( there are a lot of options here), and maybe something to tame the eyebrows (tweezer or similar), and a mascara to put on your eyelashes to give your eye a more defined look

Each of these topics in each of the 3 areas can be a full lesson in itself. My advice is to start looking over YouTube. There are a ton of great videos to teach you in each of these areas.

Lets start with that for now, what do you know and what do you have to work with?

Hi there,

Where to begin...
    Shave as close as possible, put a wig hose on your head and look at your features, you can use a eyebrow wax and draw over your eyebrows or you can soap down your eyebrows and cover with a foundation.

use a lighter powder to set the foundation if it is liquid it also helps cover the beard shadow.

in the hollows of your eye use a brown color to highlight your eyebrow bone.
    try a liquid eyeliner then eyelash.

use a lip liner to shape lips fill with a matt lipstick and then coat with a good quality gloss.

Those are the basics...and your already there with great features- You tube and like a lot of doll here will say Practice!

Shikha
    I am really thankful to you all. I will take your advice and will look at the videos on Youtube and try to follow those as closely as I can. Let's see how much progress I can make. I will definitely post an update on that. Thank you everybody.

I got up early every day and did my makeup before work... Then washed it off in the shower. Did that for almost a year before I was comphy going out enfemme.... Taught myself and ended up being a moderator and jr admin on a makeup forum for 3 years... I'd also suggest going to a full service MAC store and have them pick out your colors for you and show you some basics. Buy a couple good makeup books... And lots of makeup!! I've got a couple life times worth!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I got up early every day and did my makeup before work, then washed it off in the shower. I did that for almost a year before I was comfy going out enfemme. I'd also suggest going to a full service MAC store and have them pick out your colors for you and show you some basics. Buy a couple good makeup books.
    Ths is good advice. Getting comfortable with makeup is just like any other skill. It takes PRACTICE! Women learn this as they grow up. It took me YEARS to learn. Please don't be discouraged that you can't just "do" it. You can't. It takes practice and time. And then some more practice.

Some suggestions: Practice just one thing at a time. Learn to do your lips. Then move on to your eyes. Or start with the basic foundation. Foundation is just what it sounds like. It's the base on which everything else goes.

A professional like your local Mary Kay saleslady will spend an hour or so teaching you the basics. Just remember to buy the stuff she shows you how to use.

If you live in a city, any major department store like Macy's will have cosmetic counters staffed with professional sales woman who will help you for free. Again, remember to buy something.

There are free standing makeup stores like MAC in most cities. They will help you for free. Just like I said before, buy something!

But most of all, you have to practice. It takes time.

Stephie

Check mac on line for great tips, as well as u-tube, and most makers of make up will have how to help on line. But the most important thing to do, is just do it! play with make up every chance you get.
    Get brushes, and learn how to use them for some great results. Practice, practice, practice, there is no other way, excect to have it done by a pro.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Practice,practice, practice!!!! Woman start practicing when they young and get help from mom. Ever seen a young girl look like a clown? They were probable at the beginning themselves. Look up how to's and there a lot tutorials on how to apply make up. You can even look up make up for crossdressers and I'm sure you will find help. Just remember we don't have as nice bone features to work with.
    Life is too short not to be happy!

namewtheld33: Dont fret hun, my makeup skills are a work in progress and sometime I dont think progress is the right word. As a dark skined person my trouble
    is finding the correct color match foundaton. No luck so far. The expensive brands didn't work any better than the drugstore brands. Sometimes I think I got
    it together and then I find my eyeglasses and have to start all over. Practice, as others have mentioned, is the key..just keep trying. dana

Practice practice practice
    Ladies and gentlemen.
    Take my advce
    Pull down your panties .......
    And slide on the ice!!!!

Shikha
    Thank you all for your kind advice. I am so happy to see so many replies to this thread. I think I have an idea how to go with this. I am also thinking about asking one of my female friends if she can give me a 15 minute class every week. Let's see how it goes.
    By the way, do you know how can I change my profile name, anyone? When I started this account, I wanted to keep my name secret but not any more. But I don't seem to have an idea how to change my profile name. When I go to My Account page, it says I don't have the privileges to access that page.