Thread: Why God Made Transpeople

Why God Made Transpeople

All the lonely people, where do they all come from?—Heather’s Ex

Or in the immortal words of the immortal Tommy Lee Jones in Coal Miner’s Daughter: “Yes, ma’am, there’s a lot of lonely people out there.”

Or this take from Jacques Brel: “The concert of sobbing and weeping of men who are afraid. . .”

And somebody else said, “When you’re weary, feeling small, when tears are in your eyes. . .”

We all know the feeling. The question is how to deal with it. Generally speaking people choose among three options:

[1] They join the herd, throw in their lot with the majority. When you’re lonely, what better solution than to surround yourself with bodies? And when you see yourself with so much company, it’s easy to believe that you’re in the right. In the right about what? Who knows? Who cares? You’re in the right. And that is so wonderfully comforting.

If you look at news items on the web concerning Trans issues, so often you’ll see the transphobes on a roll—all of them ganging up on some hapless transman or woman or child, all of them patting each other on the back, reassuring each other: “See! There’s so few of them, and so many of us! We must be right, we must be good, we must be virtuous! Ah! What a fine fellow I am!”

Poor saps! Because a majority is never anything but a temporary alliance of people who temporarily perceive they share a common self-interest. They can agree on one question. Ask another and they’ll be at each other’s throats, all the more outraged since their feeling of being in the majority has been proven illusory.

[2] They declare themselves an elite. “Oh, yes, we’re small in numbers, but we have a vision that the benighted masses can’t share.”

So they form their own little group, and for a short time there’s lots of shaking hands and mutual congratulations—“Hail, fellow, well met!”—until it’s time to start setting up a hierarchy and orthodoxy because we have to protect the identity and integrity and authenticity of the group so that we don’t get swallowed up again in the faceless majority. The purists, the self-appointed high-priests of righteousness will take control, and those poor souls who joined the group only out of the desire to enjoy a sense of belonging for the first time in their lives will be told to shape up. They will be useful soldiers who can obey orders and listen to the instruction of their betters, or they’ll be cast into the outer darkness again.

Sooner or later the opposition will coalesce around some charming renegade and will separate and form their own minority within a minority, even more self-righteous than the priests they’ve just denounced since there’s no one more pure than a schismatic. Then the process can start up again.

[3] Someone might declare himself an Impregnable Fortress of One. That is, he embarks on the Supreme Bluff: “I am a rock, I am an island! Don’t you see my handsome books with all their wisdom and profound thoughts? Have you not read my lovely poetry? I am shielded in my armor, safe within my womb. Nobody can touch me.”

And the World smiles upon him indulgently, knowing that the only reason he’s still standing is because it hasn’t yet bothered to crush him. The World does have a sense of humor, and there is something richly comic about a two-year-old shaking his fist at the gods.

If I wish to make myself a fortress, should I be so proud of the venture? For it is possible to confuse toughness and callousness, independence and misanthropy—and even courage can be warped into a parody of itself, so that it becomes no more than a desire to gloat and a desire for revenge.

So what can we do, folks? There are lots of people in this world who are religious, who believe in the existence of a Supreme Being who created the world with a purpose in mind, a master plan that we ordinary mortals cannot fathom. It’s been a long time since I believed that myself. But if I did, and if someone were to ask why God made transpeople, this would be my answer:

By putting center-stage a small group who are as different as it is possible to be, he wanted all people to see how different they are. He wanted everyone to understand that they are unique, that they cannot take refuge in “sameness” with their fellow creatures. You cannot buy salvation on a group ticket. You stand or fall on your own.

By showing how fiercely our hearts ache for acceptance and kindness and understanding, he wanted all people to examine themselves and realize how fiercely their own hearts ache for that same acceptance and kindness and understanding. For all people, whether they seek refuge with the majority or an elite or within their own fortress, instinctively know how vulnerable they are, how lonely they are.

So to Mr. Joe Normal, I would say this, “Look, Joe, you can bluff all you like. You’re not fooling me, and you’re not fooling your friends or neighbours or colleagues. Above all, you’re not fooling your wife and kids, and not even yourself. Deep down inside, you know what the score is. So relax. For all your bluster and posturing and self-righteous chest-thumping, you do have your virtues, and at bottom you’re a decent enough guy. So relax.

“Don’t cut yourself off. Don’t try to set yourself apart from or above others. You’re desperately seeking some refuge when there isn’t any, when what you really want is acceptance. By cutting yourself off, by refusing to accept others, you only deny yourself acceptance. If you want acceptance, give it to others, and then you’ll have it for yourself. Because when everybody is accepted, you will be, too, Joe. As long as there are people who aren’t accepted, you’ll always fear and feel that you’re one of them.”

That is the purpose of transpeople: by seeking acceptance for ourselves, we’re seeking acceptance for everybody, for when people can accept us, they can accept anybody. We’re all different, and that means we’re all the same. We’re all in the same boat. So why don’t we just row, rather than rocking it and threatening to sink us all?

Is that one reason cisgender people dislike us so much? When they see us, do they instinctively understand they’re seeing themselves? Relax, people: when you can accept us, you can accept yourselves, too.

Best wishes, Annabelle

Aspiring Member
    Some excellent thoughts, Annabelle. First I have a question. Are you suggesting that loneliness, or the fear of it, is the sole motivating force that drives us toward one of the three options, and in all issues as well as crossdressing?

On option 1, the herding instinct, or mentality, is a well known element of human, as well as animal behaviour. It applies most commonly to individual instances of a problem or threat, but can also refer to long term situations such as the formulation of opinions, ideas and beliefs. As individuals, we constantly find ourselves in different herds, and either join the majority or reject the majority. These are all mini herds that exist within a major herd known as society, and have little relevance to the primary issue of acceptance of crossdressing, unless that is their focus. As crossdressers, many of us probably belong to that herd on most issues, in some cases even crossdressing.

Option 2 is basically the forming of a mini herd, and membership in it does not necessarily remove us from the major herd. To some extent, we all believe we belong to group 3, and are rugged individuals who do our own thing. But it is the belief that we are number 3 that leads some to group 2, to show their rejection of group 1 as it applies to them, but not to others. In other words, the very acceptance of terms such as "queer" as applicable to themselves indicates that they agree with the major herd that crossdressing is not the accepted norm, so they form herd 2 to establish a sense of belonging, while proclaiming to be group 3.

The true group 3 individuals might be those who are totally out to everybody without any reservations, but how many of those really exist? This is all just some quick thoughts that entered my head as I read your post, and further thought might result in changes, but for now I have to go. great thought provoking thread.

Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica27 View Post
    Some excellent thoughts, Annabelle. First I have a question. Are you suggesting that loneliness, or the fear of it, is the sole motivating force that drives us toward one of the three options, and in all issues as well as crossdressing?
    Veronica
    No, of course not. There are many reasons why someone might join in with a majority or small group, as you've aptly pointed out in your post.

No, what I'm looking at here is possible reactions to one's loneliness or insecurity or fear of rejection, however you want to look at it. It's a common reaction to set yourself against other people. Define yourself as "acceptable" and then denigrate people who don't measure up to you. Join with a like-minded group, whether the majority or a small group, and criticize those who aren't acceptable to the group. Some people's sense of acceptance depends on the notion that others won't be accepted.

I believe this is bad strategy. As long as the notion exists that some people aren't acceptable, anyone who is lonely or insecure can continue to fear that they are of that number. I believe a better strategy is simply to accept people as they are. When everyone gains acceptance, you'll gain it for yourself. (I'm not mentioning the idea that it will also make you a better person.)

As for those who want to be a "Fortress of One"--well, I have a lot of doubts as to whether that will work. I have certain tendencies in that direction myself, and I don't think it's ever done me much good.

Annabelle

Some deep thoughts, and some nice choices of song lyrics to illuminate them.

last year I started a new job, I LOVE it. One of the reasons I said to the boss the other day, "It's less of a company, and more of a family. " She just laughed and gave me a hug.Another friend who works there, calls it a "Tribe." That's closer I think, we pretty much all share a passion for what we "sell," indeed, they recruit people with that exact attribute as a requirement. Finding this family, or tribe, has done more for my mental well being than any other act of my entire life. We, the company, and most of the members, try to be as inclusive as possible, we get trans people come in, more than I've seen in any other place, probably because our policies are inclusive, and because most of us are welcoming to them.

Sorry, wandering off at a tangent there.

Platinum Member
    I'm perfectly happy with the knowledge that TG people evolved just like everything else. Some variations within any population are healthy...its what gives a species viability in a continuously changing and competitive environment. Sure, some members of our species may not recognize the survival benefits that we convey to the population, but or continued existence within the species over centuries implies that we indeed are a viable and vital part of the whole population. Our purpose may not be readily apparent, but we would in all probably not exist if there wasn't some inherent value.

Consider other species. Several species of fish can change gender in response to a shortage of females or males. Whole hives of female bees contribute to the survival of bees without ever reproducing themselves. Males bees exist only as a means of impregnating the queen. (beelike socialization is also apparent in some mammals - rat moles, for example) In wolves, the majority of males and females don't reproduce - but they actively support the successful reproduction of the alphas...typically their parents or siblings.

I don't know specifically how we contribute, but I think as society becomes ever more information based, our characteristics - tending towards the feminine side of the gender spectrum may make us ever more important contributors to society.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Sure, some members of our species may not recognize the survival benefits that we convey to the population, but or continued existence within the species over centuries implies that we indeed are a viable and vital part of the whole population. Our purpose may not be readily apparent, but we would in all probably not exist if there wasn't some inherent value.
    I hope you're right, Kim. As individuals, of course, we can be valuable to others in various ways. But our value as a group? It would be nice if society could see something valuable in us.

The American Indians did, and still do. There was a documentry that was done oh about a year ago that spoke of what a high reguard "dual" spirt people were held. And that continues to this day.
    A prisoner in a kings disguise - Styx

Platinum Member
    The value to a group or society can exist whether its recognized or not, but it may take some time to figure out all the benefits that TG people convey to society.

Lots of recessive or minor traits survive in a population because of some advantage they conferred. For example, the genetic differnce associated with sickle-cell anemia is also associated with tolerance to malaria - no small matter in much of the world. It could be that the genetic potential for TG imparts some other benefit - in viability, success in reproduction, tolerance for environmental contaminants...or maybe society just works better when we're present. Interesting areas for research, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Karinsamatha View Post
    The American Indians did, and still do. There was a documentry that was done oh about a year ago that spoke of what a high reguard "dual" spirt people were held. And that continues to this day.
    Yes, we know that transpeople haven't always or everywhere been as poorly regarded as they are in our society nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Interesting areas for research, don't you think?
    Definitely. Unfortunately, research into us is only just starting.

Silver Member
    I just thought god was on a drinking binge when he had this whole "let's create life" idea. And on the 7th day, he wasn't resting... he was too hungover to finish everything correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bree-asaurus View Post
    I just thought god was on a drinking binge when he had this whole "let's create life" idea. And on the 7th day, he wasn't resting... he was too hungover to finish everything correctly.
    I love it! That must have been one hell of a party he went to! But hang on... the party idea defies monotheism... and assumes he was NOT ALONE but part of a group...!

At work I am in several groups/herds depending on how you define them. The larger herds fight between themselves and form smaller herds. The smaller herds have some affiliation to the larger herds as long as it is in their interests. The smaller herds tend to coalesce around shared values and beliefs rather than work itself and the work then adapts to reflect the values and the beliefs and as they become more confident as a small herd they get bigger as they attract followers... etc...

Not sure what I am saying... the smaller herd isn't necessarily an 'elite' Annabelle, although it can be and as we see in the CD world can seem to be. It is most likely formed because of a need to identify more closely on a more pertinent set of issues and then the associated value sets and belief systems.

What binds herds of people are values and belief systems... so when we fragment it is because something has either been lost or not addressed and embraced.

Annabelle's level 1 is essentially the larger 'society'. Larger, well established societies fear anything that disturbs that equilibrium, as they will have defined power structures and systems that maintain the equilibrium. Smaller 'herds' that appear to threaten that equilibrium will either be joined by the radicals that identify more with the smaller herd, or will be castigated by others who wish to stay with larger level one society. If the smaller 'herd' is accepted by level 1, it all becomes OK... the gay movement is now in level 1. Elements of level 1 will still not want the presence of the gays, but the power of the herd will maintain the equilibrium. Smaller herds tend to have fewer rules and policies, but as they grow they need them to maintain equilibrium. The gay movement has developed a level of equilibrium.

CDs are still a small, fragmented set of 'herds'. And this may be because we are a diverse group. To be a coherent 'herd' we need that commonality that binds us together -those shared values and beliefs, otherwise we are a heterogenous bunch of individuals, some with good networks and some without.

I love the discussions we have on this forum that allude to this. Are we collectively a 'herd', or we are we a convenient 'coming together' of ethnic minorities collectively trying to win our place in a greater society only to become Yugoslavia? When we get there we will just fight our internal wars all over again?

I am a federalist. I'll be honest. I want a world where we can all exist under a united common set of values and principles that accept a genuinely heterogenous mix of 'herds'...

I am different from you and it is OK, oh and by the way, we all pull together when we need to because we all have the values and principles that bind us.

This has been tried before though through religious dogma as the binding belief set.

OK... I am becoming a poor version of Freddie (sorry Freddie, the reference was about the length of the post not to the quality!) - time for bed!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    At work I am in several groups/herds depending on how you define them. The larger herds fight between themselves and form smaller herds. The smaller herds have some affiliation to the larger herds as long as it is in their interests. The smaller herds tend to coalesce around shared values and beliefs rather than work itself and the work then adapts to reflect the values and the beliefs and as they become more confident as a small herd they get bigger as they attract followers... etc...
    After reading this thread through a few more times, I think I may have been incorrect by referring to Annabelle's second option as a mini herd. It could become a herd over time, but Kaz's reply leads me to think that a better term might be a clique.

The herd instinct happens whenever a large group of individuals find themselves in a similar situation. Examples are society as a whole, a large workplace or school, a church congregation, people travelling on a plane, etc. Everyone goes in as an individual, with their own thoughts opinions and traits. However, over time, something develops, and the herd begins to take on a group personality. Most members will respond in a similar way to occurances and they will develop common opinions about things. There is a tendency to be as close to the middle of the herd as possible. There are various reasons for this, including the fact that there are always dominant individuals, and there is a need for self-preservation and safety of the group. One of the best ways to observe this phenomenon is to watch a herd of cows over a period of time. For no apparent reason, the herd will move to another area or field, head to the watering hole, or they will gradually begin to lie down to chew their cud. One or two dominant cows usually lead the herd.

However, the herd instinct is not the theme of this thread, and I don't think that crossdressing is a good example of a breakaway herd or clique, anyway because of its very diversity. I am not religious in the sense of following the dictates of any organized religion, but I do contemplate the deeper issues and meaning of life. Something has to be the ultimate answer to it all, and I believe in that ultimate answer. It may be "God", it may be a big bang, it may be little green men from somewhere, or something else yet undetermined. We don't really know, but we do know what various wise men have passed on to us over the years. I don't actually know about the divinity of Christ, but I do agree with his basic outlook on life, and as such consider myself to be a Christian. He essentially sumarized much of the earlier teachings of other religions into a few simplified suggestions. Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, turn the other cheek and love your God with all your heart and soul. While there is some reason for the world, and human beings, I have difficulty believing in the existance of conditions such as transgenderedness being the result of a master plan for mankind and that there is a purpose for its existance. Given other social conditions, such as have occurred at various times throughout history, transgenderedness as we are discussing it in this thread did not actually exist. We can be an example to the world of acceptance, but I do not see it as a reason for our "being" as directed by God.

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica27; 07-12-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post

Not sure what I am saying... the smaller herd isn't necessarily an 'elite' Annabelle, although it can be and as we see in the CD world can seem to be. It is most likely formed because of a need to identify more closely on a more pertinent set of issues and then the associated value sets and belief systems.

What binds herds of people are values and belief systems... so when we fragment it is because something has either been lost or not addressed and embraced.

The herd instinct happens whenever a large group of individuals find themselves in a similar situation. Examples are society as a whole, a large workplace or school, a church congregation, people travelling on a plane, etc. Everyone goes in as an individual, with their own thoughts opinions and traits. However, over time, something develops, and the herd begins to take on a group personality. Most members will respond in a similar way to occurances and they will develop common opinions about things. There is a tendency to be as close to the middle of the herd as possible.
    To Kaz and Veronica: your thinking on these issues is very close to mine. In going back over my OP, I see now that it was rather loosely written, and I should have taken more time over it. E.g., I can see how someone might conclude from it that I'm saying that when people feel lonely or insecure, they might band together in order to gain a sense of security. While that's not impossible, that's not what I meant to say here.

Take for example the majority dislike of TGism. The majority didn't suddenly coalesce because we TG people started making a bit of noise and they wanted to express their dislike of us. No, the majority already existed because of shared values, beliefs, etc. What I'm trying to point out is that a lonely/insecure person who already belongs to the majority for other reasons can use his membership in the majority to try to overcome his feelings of inadequacy.

By denouncing transpeople, he reinforces his feeling that he's a part of a larger group. He belongs. He's not alone. He can feel more secure. What I'm talking about in my OP is the psychological advantage to a lonely person in belonging to a larger group.

And, Kaz, I used the term "elite" for the smaller groups, not because I myself see them as an elite (with the exception of musicians and chess grandmasters), but because they often perceive themselves as an elite. They hold a "truth" that others stubbornly refuse to recognize, or they have a way of going about things that they perceive as superior. "Elites" can be more or less consciously formed: I think in particular of new religious denominations that spring up from time to time. But the development of "elites" can also be evolutionary, when, over a period of time, they begin to sense a difference between themselves and all the rest.

We can be an example to the world of acceptance, but I do not see it as a reason for our "being" as directed by God.
    I don't either, given that I don't believe in any gods. But even if there's no god to give us a purpose in life, we can define one for ourselves. Being "an example to the world of acceptance" I think would be an excellent purpose to give ourselves. It's one reason I personally am dismayed from time to time to see all the squabbling that goes on among us.

Best wishes, Annabelle

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle Larousse View Post
    It's one reason I personally am dismayed from time to time to see all the squabbling that goes on among us.

Best wishes, Annabelle
    Most of the sub groups that arise within the herd, are not so far removed from the group thinking to warrant them to be anything other than a special interest clique that itself is part of the herd. The herding instinct can develop within that clique over time, but does not pull the clique out of the main herd. Crossdressing is sufficiently removed from group ideals that our choice is to hide within the primary herd, or join a clique that finds itself being distanced from the main herd. We can become very defensive because of this because we lose much of the security that came from being a part of the main herd. I think that the squabbling you reference, is our attempt to overcome that loss of security by trying to explain ourselves. This is difficult in such a diverse group.

I personally enjoy the give and take of a good discussion, but have to admit that I react negatively to attempts to imply I am something other than what I am. My opinions are just that; opinions, and as such are neither right or wrong in any all encompassing sense.

Veronica