Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealing w/ unaccepting parent

Bottom line, 2 out of every 3 transsexuals commits suicide before age 30, so your mom did OK with you. She has done her job, she made sure that you survived until you were old enough to make your own decisions. You have honored her for 47 years, by NOT doing what you have wanted to do most of your life. If you are only a cross-dresser, and have no desire to transition, then your mother doesn't need to know more than she already does. You can dress like a man when you are with her, and accept her the way she is, and the way she isn't. If she doesn't like that you have a boyfriend, then don't invite her to your home. Meet her at restaurants, or go to her house alone, but not too often. You may want to consider moving to another state. If you can make more money, live in a more tolerant state, get legally married, and have some true happiness, and your mother doesn't want you to have that, then it's time to go. You'll have the phone.

It's sad that the Christian church has continued to stress mistranslated passages in a less important section of the bible out of context, as if they were the cornerstones of the Christian Faith. It's sadder still, that the church insists on driving that wedge between parents and children, and between Fundamentalist Christians who believe that all gays, transvestites, and transsexuals should be killed, and the world that is more accepting, loving, and tolerant. Ironically, the persecution of gays and transsexuals didn't get really hot until the expansion of the Muslim empires, under Genghis Khan, Kubla Khan, and Suluman - who expanded the muslim empire from Romania to the eastern shores of China and Indonesia.

Even then, the issue was with young boys who tried to pretend to be women in order to be spared the fate of ALL males, from infants to adults, which was to be put to death on sight. Young attractive women were the only ones spared. If a boy dressed as a woman, and acted seductive, and eventually submitted to a man, he might be spared, at least long enough to escape.

In Africa, younger teenage boys were castrated and worked as servants and guards in the harems.

I can relate to some of this aswell. I'm a lot younger though(23) and my mother is completely ok with my dressing and my sexuality. My grandmother however isn't so open about it. She's always maintained she doesn't agree with it and thats fine, she grew up in a time when it wasn't "acceptable" I wouldn't expect her to change her views. I have an uncle who is very homophobic etc, he says all gay people and anyone who is "fem" should be shot. I've learned to ignore it and since most of my family are pretty ok with it, I still win at the end of the day. The thing I concentrate on is how I feel when I'm en femme, I feel like I'm somehow being reborn and have turned into someone so wonderful that it makes me feel such joy and my heart feel so warm and tingly. I would love for EVERYONE to accept me as I am but thats just never going to happen, all I can do is stay true to myself and remember that no matter what negativity I face, I'm still me and I haven't let them make me feel like what I'm doing is wrong.

DebbieL: Where in the world did you come up with that "research" that said 2 out of 3 transsexuals commit suicide by age 30? Although it is well known that the suicide risk for transsexuals is higher than for the general population, I am not aware of any reliable research stating that the rate of complete suicide in this goup is anywhere near 67%!

First, I have a mom who doesn't accept my crossdressing either, and if the subject ever comes up or anything aludes to it, she starts crying and saying I'm going to hell and can I please stop all of that nonsense because she wants to see me in heaven after she passes on. There's nothing I can do to change her beliefs, so I just tread lightly whenever I'm with her, and stick to safe topics of discussion. I don't spend a whole lot of time with her, so I think it's no big deal.
    Second, we'll never really know how many transgender people kill themselves. There will be lots who simply don't want anyone to ever know, some who are in denial themselves, some who simply think they're homosexuals and never learned anything more and think they're commiting some sort of awful sin so they want the lord to help them stop, the list goes on and on. But I don't think the numbers are quite that high. It will be interesting to see if there's anyone here in the mental health field who can come up with some more accurate numbers. Then again, in other parts of the world, maybe that percentage IS accurate. I wonder if you lived in a society that considers crossdressing an offense punishable by death, and willingly went out crossdressed, got killed, would that be considered suicide?
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.