Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern style?

Modern style?

A lot of women in Houston & Los Angeles wear sun dresses or tank tops that don't cover their bras. What do you think of his style? Do you do it?

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

They don't do that here in england, but we're at least 10 years behind LA. I would, I love exaggerated layers n fresh looks

i think having your bra showing looks great and do it all the time, as you can see in my avatar.

I usually think it looks kind of trashy if you're just out and about. There Are tops that I have that show the very top of my push-up bras...it makes your boobs look good. But, I'm usually wearing a jeweled bra...not a plain old one. This is strictly for clubs, and I'll wear a jacket until I'm at my destination. It's not exactly safe to sketch around like that. With some sundresses and tanks, straps show and it's hard to avoid. I think that straps aren't a big deal, but seeing the back clasp or top of the bra is a little too trashy for being out and about. A lot of the backless shirts and dresses are meant to be layered...but, a surprising number of people do not know how to layer lol. So, if I see someone with the back of their bra showing at the grocery store, I usually think they just missed the layering memo. Also, some people don't know the difference between what to wear to a club versus what to wear at a grocery store. I had a friend by a backless dress with me and I layered it with a cute undershirt and chunky necklace...and, she just slipped it on over her bra. Guess who looked more fashionable? It's also pretty hot here and sweat doesn't evaporate very quickly off bra material...so, 9 times out of 10, you're walking around in a backless dress with a sweaty bra. Ew. Put some layers on that b*tch if the back of the bra is showing. If it's just straps, don't worry too much unless you are going somewhere classy. If you're at the club...dress to your own discretion. It's hard to explain the concept that some things are only cute in certain environments...and, not everyone learns...so, we have people wearing flip flops to formal events... Stacy and Clinton are only a phone call away.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Love your avatar.
    Strapless, backless,and low-cut dresses just do not fit my anatomical situation. Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I can now be comfortable wearing something where the bra straps show...maybe.
    About the layering memo. Did it say to wear the cute t-shirt under the backless dress, but over the bra..or under the bra...or over the dress? Or is this a case of situational awareness?

I usually have to reject cute backless dresses. SIGH!

I do not recall exactly what I did in my avatar pic--but I suspect it involved duct tape and foam rubber.
    Last edited by JenniferR771; 07-22-2012 at 04:03 PM.

I have done this a few times.I like the look.
    Angie

Jennifer,

I don't like my straps showing either. It's why strapless bras were invented, IMO. I wouldn't wear a t-shirt under a dress...but, there are cute camisole-looking undershirts made of cotton that are cute. Theyre kind of like regular tanks, but with thinner straps, more detail, and brighter colors. Layer it so that you wear your bra, then undershirt, then dress. Now, this is only for casual backless dresses...like Urban Outfitters dresses. If it's a fancy backless dress, you pretty go braless or get a pasty bra. But, most nicer dresses have a built-in bra (or, shelf bra), so it isn't a problem.

The casual backless dresses and cut-out dresses are HUGE right now. I'm big on outfits...so, I just do layering, add belts, add jewelry and all kinds of crap. But, a lot of people just rip it off the hanger and slap it on their bodies. I guess whatever your style is...
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I wear tank tops a lot here in sunny Georgia. Some of them do show the top of my bra, or the upper straps! It may not be classy, but I don't care. I dress enfemme because I like to, not to impress the rest of the world.
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Quote Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
    A lot of women in Houston & Los Angeles wear sun dresses or tank tops that don't cover their bras. What do you think of his style?
    It looks cheap and ****ty.

Platinum Member

It Really Shows A Lack Of Pride In Their Dressing

HLainie, It just looks trashy kind of like the guys wearing their pants down around their A$$

Just because everybody does it don't make it right.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE ORCHID View Post
    Just because everybody does it don't make it right.
    If I only ever learn this in life, I might be just fine.

Banned Read only
    Back in the 60's women burned their bras, still a good idea today. There is nothing sexy or attractive about a bra no matter how you dress it up. I am forced to wear a bra sometimes just to keep my tits on LOL. However I don't let it show. It's bad enough it can be seen througn the fabric of the top I am wearing. Designer straps or not, its an ugly look. Kinda like horse tack that at least serves a purpose.

I wear a lot of tank tops that always show a little bra! It seems to be a common thing in my nick of the woods! I also love the thin blouse you can see the bra thru!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I could never understand why people wear a top that shows the bra straps.
    Like those that wear a cross back top and put it with a regualr bra.
    Straps just out there!
    I wear sun dresses, tops with spagetti straps and strapless tops and dresses.
    That is why I also own strapless bras.
    What I really like is my sundresses that I don't have to wear a bra with at all.
    Like the dress in my avatar.

I also believe that people can wear whatever they want to.

I see the young girls doing that all the time here and maybe it's the generation gap, but I don't like anyone seeing my underwear unless......lol
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Platinum Member
    In this weather, I don't have a problem with a little bra strap showing under a tank top. But I'd agree that having a back clasp showing is generally a bit tacky. I have seen some girls wearing an very loose/oversize tank with a job bra underneath. For young, slim girls that looks ok. And one must make certain concessions in hot weather. I often wear a tank top despite having rather prominent biceps.

Aspiring Member
    With the advertising the Victoria Secret does in magazines and on television (yes, those models are soooooo hot!), underwear has become a fashion statement. Bras and panties are no longer just white or pastel pink or black but every color imaginable and in every print one could think of. Everyone has talked about bra straps being displayed but with the low cut jeans and shorts I have seen a multitude of colors in thongs. Yes, it does look somewhat ****ty but that is the fashion trend. I won't even talk about the amount of cleavage I have seen walking the hall at the high school where I teach. If it exceeds the length of a credit card it is borderline excessive. Hemlines are well above the tips of the fingers of a downwardly extended arm. The kids see these styles in magazines and in the movies, retailers want to make a buck, and every woman (including myself) wants to look sexy. There is a difference between looking sexy and looking trashy but quite honestly the difference is in the eye of the beholder. Its just that some of us see better than others.

I personally do not do that, if for any other reason I'm older and to me that looks trashy and cheap, BUT EACH TO THEIR OWN!!!!!!!

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

Personally, I hate that look.
    Hugs, Carole

Lainie, I have been thinking for two weeks about how to phrase that here and not sound like I was ranting. But...

no I do not like to see bra straps,
    I think they should be under wraps,
    I do not like when they are bright.
    I do not like to see then in the night.
    I do not want to see them when they are frayed and dirty
    I do not think they are even flirty
    There is a reason they're called underwear
    they should only be under there
    I think it shows a lack of taste
    and under a "SUN" dress I think they are a waste

Truly, why even wear a top if you are going to show us your bra anyway? Just wear the bra or bikini top. With the prominence of strapless bras, cute workout bras and bandeaus, it is just tacky, especially when I see the worn straps and the filth grey/tan color of a bra the USED to be white
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I'm with you on this Lorileah. Nothing as unattractive as a women or girl wearing a tank top with her bra straps showing. or the low cut jeans that lets you see her thong or string bikini... even if she is otherwise good looking. Couple that with all the face and tongue piercings. and plastered with tattoos. Yuk! Give me the styles of the 40's, 50's and 60's any day. Women dressed in styles that left a little for your imagination.
    Don't even get me started on the ridiculous look of the young guys! Wearing knit scull caps pulled down over their ears with un-kept frayed hair ballooning out the sides and back. Then they wear drab blah shirts and those equally ridiculous looking baggy pants that look 10 sizes to big, the crotch down around their knee causing them to walk funny. The hem hits well above the ankle as if they can't make up their mind as to whether they are baggy shorts or baggy pants cut to short. Now couple that with the arms, neck, legs ruined by ugly tattoos to take away from the gross nose, eyebrow, lip and tongue piercings! I know, they can wear what they want and look the way they want. But to this guy, it makes me wonder what drugs fried their brains. I don't understand how anyone can call this "style" and good looking! It's like a contest to see who can look the ugliest!

Now, Girls, here we are having another little spat. Well, I thought I'd try to settle the question once and for all. So I did some googling to try and find out what the Bible had to say about bra straps. I know, I know, I can hear the lot of you screaming already, "You flippin' eejit, they didn't even have bras back then!" (And think how tough those times must have been on T-girls. No bras to wear. Could there possibly be a worse fate?)

I'm not totally stupid. Has no one ever heard of The Prophets? I mean, those guys foresaw everything. I saw one pubication that demonstrated how one of the prophets had prophesied about atomic bombs. So if the Bible has something to say about atomic bombs, why not bra straps, right?

And has nobody ever read the Book of Daniel where it talks about the three big horns and the ten little horns--or whatever it was? It wasn't the Battle of Little Big Horn anyway. No, I think the three big horns were supposed to be Hitler, Stalin and Obama, but I forget who the ten little horns were. It didn't have anything to do with Snow White, though, because there were only seven of those little fellows.

Now I did come across a bit in Jeremiah 13, something about hiding a linen undergarment in a hole in a rock. It eventually fell to pieces, so you don't want to do that. But that didn't strike me as relevant.

The closest I could come up with was something I think Paul said in one of his letters. I think women are supposed to keep their heads covered in church. So presumably if Paul didn't like women's heads, he didn't like their bra straps, either--or at least he wouldn't have if bras had been around back then.

So I think we can say in conclusion, keep your bra straps covered in church. Anywhere else, you're OK.

Best wishes, Annabelle

Annabelle I think you are totally correct. Now answer why when it is 100 degrees out they put on an extra bra or two so there are 4 sets of straps
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Sorry, Lorileah, I didn't think about that problem. (To be honest, I didn't even know it existed. To be even more honest, I'm not entirely sure what you mean.) No matter. I'll re-read the Book of Revelation. It's got to be in there somewhere. There is something about the Wh*** of Babylon, so that's probably it. And if we're talking about heat, there's a lot of stuff there about hell, so I think we're on the right track.

[Note: I had to come back and edit the Wh*** word above. Man, when the Bible itself is being censored these days, that's one tough censorship.]
    Last edited by Foxglove; 07-23-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: I said a no-no

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post

Annabelle I think you are totally correct. Now answer why when it is 100 degrees out they put on an extra bra or two so there are 4 sets of straps
    Meh, I'd be stoned to death in that book anyway. I kind of like my face without rocks anywhere near it. It's not my favorite book.

The double bra trick is a lot like what y'all do. Two bras creates more cleavage. They aren't normally sitting pretty up there, and we don't want to walk around all National Geographic. I would only do the two bra trick at night, but I know girls that do this all of the time. An undershirt under a loose dress doesn't really make much of a difference to me. 100 degrees is going to be miserable even if you're out there butt naked. You get used to dealing with being uncomfortable in a bra and 100 degree heat...one undershirt isn't going to make or break anything in your level of comfort.

Actually, when I was out fishing on the water for a week, I wore a long-sleeved shirt. It made no sense to anyone that didn't stand out in the sun for hours upon hours. But, light colors actually reflect the sun better than if you were standing out there in the buff. (Not to mention burning). So, I was out there in a white long-sleeved shirt, a huge hat, and linen pants when I had my fill of sun-worshipping.

I was the only person that did not burn.