Thread: Starting 'em off young...

Starting 'em off young...

I was shoe shopping yesterday with Persephone in a DSW store. As I was trying on a pair of pink and gray running shoes Persephone nudged me and indicated a young boy, perhaps four years old, clomping around in a pair of platform heels. This brought fond memories of doing the same in my Mom's shoes.

The best part was, a couple of minutes later as they were walking away, the mother said to the boy, "Remember, you can walk in my shoes anytime you want!"

Cool Mom!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

One Halloween my mom suggested wearing a pair of her shoes with the costume I had on. I was terrified even though I knew they would fit quite well! Did not wear them but maybe she knew? Yeah, cool mom.

What a great mom!

Thanks for sharing that cute story Eryn.

How do you know it was the boy's mom? It could have been his dad.

Thank-you for that slice of life,it was getting somewhat "heavy" on this site lately.I really enjoy these everyday encounters,makes it all worth while.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    How do you know it was the boy's mom? It could have been his dad.
    You make a good point. I didn't really give it a thought, which of course is how we all want to be treated!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Platinum Member
    Hi Eryn, That was a real heart warming story.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

How times have changed for the better...I don't remember ANYONE EVER saying that to me!

He may have tried on several pair. When I saw him he was wearing a pair of sky blue stilettos. They were many sizes too big for him but he was getting around just fine in them!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Cool mom indeed! One of my sons also clomped around in my pumps at that age. He only did it once or twice and I never thought the behavior was out of the ordinary. I think he liked feeling taller.

But if he had expressed a deeper interest (actually wanting to wear girl clothes), I would have begun the journey of allowing him freedom of expression all the while navigating his wish to wear the clothes at school while potentially being discriminated against by other kids. I've read/seen stories from parents who feel torn between honoring their children's need to be themselves while trying to protect them from unknowing people who sometimes can be mean.
    Reine

Love that little story! It reminds me of my grad son when he was four years old! He would walk around in his mothers heels and even had his own purse! Thank you for a great memory!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Where I used to live a friend of mine would let his son wear a dress to church (Unitarian!) when he wanted. Whatever he grows up to be, whatever he likes - he'll know his parents didn't feel the need to set limits on him, and always would love him. Now - my son has been rummaging through the dress up box, and has worn a few non-gender confirming items, but I haven't had the chance to give him the ol "cool - its no big deal speech".