Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been humiliated by female Sales Assistants when shopping?

Banned Read only

Have you ever been humiliated by female Sales Assistants when shopping?

I was years ago.

The shop is now closed down.

The time I was humiliated was a one off.

Most places in the UK now provide TG sales training.
    Last edited by heathr1; 07-25-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Platinum Member
    not even once. I have always been treated with respect and courtesy. I think sales commissions might have something to do with it, but I choose to believe that they are genuinely friendly and supportive.

So far (knock on wood) all mine have been positive. They have all ways been helpful and respectful. Even had a few give nice comments on how cute something that I was buying looked.

I was just waiting for this thread an didn't even know it ,,,lol,, Trust me they have tried . But never suceeded ,,At the nail salon too ,,, But never made it ,, You let them take control an some people will humilate you . But dont give them your POWER ! The word is Flip the Script ,, Sir can I help you ? Why you most certainly can ! Are you buying this for a freind ? No it for me ! Would you like a dressing room ? Why yes I would ,,, If its not to much trouble ! Do you wear womans clothes ? Yes dont you ! Are you gay ? No are you ! Are you going to have surgery ? No are you ! Does your wife know ? Why dont you ask her ,, She's right behind you ! An on,,,on,,,on,,, POWER ,,,Dont give it away .
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Only once and I have been shopping for women's clothing for a long time, both in drab and en femme.
    On the opposite side. I have had many great, and fun experiences shopping, expecally when they know.

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    [Joe, The Princess Diaries]

I used to be worried about this, but I've never been treated with anything but respect while shopping dressed or in drab.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B View Post
    I was just waiting for this thread an didn't even know it ,,,lol,, Trust me they have tried . But never suceeded ,,At the nail salon too ,,, But never made it ,, You let them take control an some people will humilate you . But dont give them your POWER ! The word is Flip the Script ,, Sir can I help you ? Why you most certainly can ! Are you buying this for a freind ? No it for me ! Would you like a dressing room ? Why yes I would ,,, If its not to much trouble ! Do you wear womans clothes ? Yes dont you ! Are you gay ? No are you ! Are you going to have surgery ? No are you ! Does your wife know ? Why dont you ask her ,, She's right behind you ! An on,,,on,,,on,,, POWER ,,,Dont give it away .
    I love this response!

Nope, I've always been well treated!

Just once in Walmart, (last time I will ever buy from them ever)
    I was trying four different pair denim Levies for fit,one was just right
    as I returned the outer pair the sale's lady said your buying lady's jeans? with a vary nasty look on her face!
    [SIZE="3"] Robin[/SIZE]

Once about ten years ago I went to Dollar General to buy my first bra (I know) and the cashier looked at me and literally laughed out loud. Shen then said, quite loudly, "I don't eeeeven wanna know". Well I was pretty horrified and said something along the lines of "that's good, because it's none of your effing business". It took me a while to rebuild the nerve to buy things. Never again at DG, you can be sure.

Makeup addict!
    It's generally considered unprofessional to try to humiliate your customers, so I can't imagine it would happen often. They would probably make a face when you turn your back and that's it

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    I love this response!
    Me too! Priceless. Flip the script! How long have we dealt the script given us?

Quote Originally Posted by STACY B View Post
    Yes (not humiliated but challenged by an SA), and this works.

Let me add this response: "Uh huh. . . where would I find the manager?"
    Last edited by Debglam; 07-25-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    Debby

Banned Read only
    The only time I felt the sales associate was trying to convey a negative feeling was decades agp. I was at a J C Penny buying a Vanity Fair shaper half slip. I had the advertisement and size written down attempting to convince her and myself that I was buying the garment for my wife. I remember saying with a smirk "You have the ad and everything!" I had no issues buying a red bra, red panty and red slip at Valentine's Day. I wonder what the problem was???? Just kidding! Now I buy girdles, bras and shape wear on line. Come to think of it, the worst look I ever got was from the guy behind me in line when I bought the Vanity Fair red bra. I guess I must have beat him to the last one in our size.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Renee View Post
    Once about ten years ago I went to Dollar General to buy my first bra (I know) and the cashier looked at me and literally laughed out loud....
    I have a feeling that a store called "Dollar General" doesn't hire the sharpest people to be cashiers and likely doesn't train them at all in customer service.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Gold Member
    If you go in there and buy stuff with the indifference as if you were buying say a gallon of milk, they ain't gonna say anything.

Once or twice the SA might have giggled but who gives a rat's ass?

Oh and about Dollar general, the ones I have been to are dumps. Funny thing it was brought up cause I went to one today. I was intimidated to be around all those high-class people.

Well put it this way, when I opened the door a spider went in, for real, Boy his ass was big and ugly. Anyways i didn't even step on him cause i figured he was probably higher class than anyone else in there (except me of course).
    Yes I know it was a "he" cause my eyesight is THAT good.

Oh also someone on the forum here told me in NY where she lives they have a chain of stores called "Holla Dollar". She is not one to BS and not really the "making up jokes" type but I didn't believe her so I looked it up. I imagine running, laughing and clapping is heard there quite a bit. (don't ask, it is not a nice joke)
    Last edited by Nicole Erin; 07-25-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

The only time was the first time I bought a pair of heels. The SA at SEARS asked if they were for me. I got frazzled and then she was just huffy. I still walked away with my shoes, but it did intimidate me for the longest time. Move the clock ahead 25yrs and now it's "whatever".

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    I have tried on shoes en drab at Payless, and he SAs have helped tremendously and never a negative comment about helping a dude try on heels. I have only shopped twice enfemme at Macy's and Dress Barn, and was treated wonderfully.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Aspiring Member

So far so good...

I have bought tops at Dress Barn where they have to unlock the try-on rooms so the SA was under no illusions who I was buying for. They were friendly and helpful. Same thing looking for a bra at Haines Outlets. A direct and friendly approach has worked well for me.

If you look unsure of yourself then you are setting yourself up for a "fall". Be confident and you will likely be OK. BTW, I LOVE Stacy B's post.

Enjoy,
    Sandra1746

I haven't always had the confidence I do now, but years ago...maybe 15-20 I had a bad experience. I was in the lingerie department at a J.C Penny store and being a bit confused by the sizing I was taking a long time to decide on these panties I wanted to buy. It was a Sunday afternoon and I was the only customer there when I heard an announcement for security to go to the lingerie department. Coward that I was I left, sure it was me they were coming for. Never again, but philosophically I know I had to endure everything I have had to....to reach the place I am today.

Aspiring Member
    Once about 15 to 18 years ago in Fashion Bug brought a dress in drab attire took it home and had to exchange it the next day and the sales associate made a remark that she hope it fits this time. Haven't been in that store since. All of the other stores I shop now are really nice about shopping in there stores some will even let me try something even in drab attire. I am usually under-dress as a woman though.

Platinum Member
    Hi Heathr, It's like Stacy said don't ever let them take control.

A couple times a smart A$$ cashier would say ,
    oh that's going to look great on you and I said
    "I sure hope so or I'm returning it first thing in the morning"

The look on their face is PRICELESS !!
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Ella View Post
    I have tried on shoes en drab at Payless, and he SAs have helped tremendously and never a negative comment about helping a dude try on heels. I have only shopped twice enfemme at Macy's and Dress Barn, and was treated wonderfully.

Barbara
    Hi Barb, You just gota love Payless, One time I got a pair of black stilettos and a pair of black male loaffers
    and the SA. said oh this is the first time that she ever saw me buy a pair of mens shoes so
    I said " Well one pair for daytime and one pair for evening" I never did tell her which was which
    I bet that she's still laughing.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

i have been buying all sorts of things for years. never had a bad experiance (thankfully).

Only once in an Avenue a few years ago. I was not presenting full female and was there with my wife. An older SA was smirking and making gestures behind my back (saw it in the mirror). I went back a few weeks later in full female mode and went directly to her for assistance. She didn't recognize me and treated me like any other woman that was shopping. Other than that one time I have never had a problem in either mode but normally shop female as that is the way I present now, other than at work!