Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Passing

Quote Originally Posted by Katie83 View Post
    How does anyone know whether they pass or not? I work very hard on all aspects of cding, make up, mannerisms etc are very important to me. I would like to think i could go unnoticed when i'm out.
    If someone goes unnoticed does that mean they've passed or blended?
    The only way to tell if you have genuinely passed is to ask everyone that they see. Therefore giving themselves away to everyone they ask.
    Katie
    Not many are going to be able to pass 100% of the time, but if one can do it for the most part.. they just know. It's in how people react to them, how they speak to them and how they treat them. I suppose that one could rationalize and say that going unnoticed or blending is passing, but if if no one notices or you just blend in with the crowd.. where is the test in whether you pass or not.
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Quote Originally Posted by kellycan27 View Post
    Not many are going to be able to pass 100% of the time, but if one can do it for the most part.. they just know. It's in how people react to them, how they speak to them and how they treat them. I suppose that one could rationalize and say that going unnoticed or blending is passing, but if if no one notices or you just blend in with the crowd.. where is the test in whether you pass or not.
    I think that it depends on what is trying to be achieved by going out dressed. If they are presenting as female on a full time basis then i think passing is important as personal interactions are needed as a part of day to day life, working, shopping repairing the car etc. However, if they are presenting as a female for just the day or the afternoon to go some clothing shops or similar and will go home and revert back to male mode afterwards, i think that blending or going unnoticed is an acceptable and relatively achievable target that will give the desired results for the CDer.
    Katie

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I always say that if I can get around the corner before they turn around to stare or chase me down with their pitchforks and torches, it's all good. Either I passed, caused confusion or looked like I'd kill them if they bothered me. I'm smiling and that's close enough to passing in my corner of the world.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I'm pretty sure that can pass if I simply walk through a public place. People will glance at me, perhaps make a double take because I'm tall, and then their minds will wander off in another direction.

I probably do less well in face-to-face situations where more than looks count. Voice, conversation style, mannerisms, etc. are things I'm still learning. Despite this I've always been treated well so I'm less concerned about passing perfectly which, ironically, aids me in relaxing and therefore presenting myself more confidently.

Passing is less important to me now than when I first started going out. I'll never know for sure what anyone else is thinking so why spend much time worrying about it?
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie83 View Post
    I think that it depends on what is trying to be achieved by going out dressed. If they are presenting as female on a full time basis then i think passing is important as personal interactions are needed as a part of day to day life, working, shopping repairing the car etc. However, if they are presenting as a female for just the day or the afternoon to go some clothing shops or similar and will go home and revert back to male mode afterwards, i think that blending or going unnoticed is an acceptable and relatively achievable target that will give the desired results for the CDer.
    Katie
    Altho, I HATE Dressing to blend, I've ALWAYS tried that when I know I'll be out in vanilla land, Katie! Yet, I've NEVER ONCE thot I passed with anyone, anywhere! Except those looking the other way when we've gone by each other. And with them, they MAY be looking away on purpose!
    Whether u like it or not, (I certainly don't), some of us simply CANNOT PASS! Ever! Period!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!