Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daddy, You're a "Girl-Tom!" :-)

Daddy, You're a "Girl-Tom!" :-)

My daughter is seven years old. She is a magnificently sweet, playful, energetic, and innocent child. She is my daughter, my flesh and blood, and my love for her is unconditional and without bounds.

My daughter is also curious by nature, and is now beginning to take notice of those things around her that may be different.

Although my daughter is unaware of Anne, very rarely do I wear socks while in the house or out in the back yard. As a result, my daughter is accustomed to seeing my toes painted, and any nail art that I may be wearing at any given time. As far as my daughter is concerned, that's just the way it is, it's just the way it's always been, and it's just the way I am. No big deal.

Recently, though, she made a comment to me that really caught my attention. My daughter stated, "Daddy, you're a girl-tom!"

"A girl-tom?" I replied. "A girl-tom? Do you mean a tom-girl?"

With a sweet, lovely, and half-shy smile, she laughed. "Yeah, that's what I mean. I mean you're a tom-girl."

Of course, I asked her why she thought I was a tom-girl. Her response was I am a tom-girl because I always wear nail polish on my toes, and that is something that girls do.

Sensing the importance of this conversation, I sat down with her and asked if that bothered her, and whether she saw anything wrong with me wearing nail polish. My daughter replied that she thought it was "neat," that she thought all of the different colors and nail art she has seen me wear is "cool," and that she liked it that I wore polish.

Instantly, my heart swelled with pride over the comments my daughter had made. Admittedly, I also felt a certain amount of relief. But with this door open, I took the opportunity to explain to her that some people are different. I explained to her that there is no right or wrong way to dress, and that there is no right and wrong way to be. There are many, many people out in the world, and we are all different in some form or another. I further explained to her that we should celebrate and honor these differences, and not make fun of others over those differences, whatever those differences may be. As long as we are not hurting others, it's ok to be who we want to be. Everyone is beautiful, the world is amazing and full of diversity, and we should love and respect all.

The more we discussed these things, the more I could see the wheels turning in her head. She was thinking through each concept, each idea as presented to her. In the end, with another heart-melting, beautiful smile, my daughter acknowledged that she understood. And that was a wonderful, magical, magnificent moment. In this regard, my wife and I have always taught her tolerance and acceptance. But it was nice to see that the roots of those lessons have taken hold and begun to flower.

The thing about that moment, though, is that it was going to happen at some point. And I am happy that it finally did. It was an important moment. Of course, there is so much more to me than just painted toes. But that is a conversation that is far from ripe for discussion with her. That's a discussion for another day. If and when that day occurs, though, I know that her love for her “girl-tom” father will neither falter nor be compromised. I believe this with all of my heart. She's my baby girl, and she will always be my baby girl!!!

As we were finishing up, as if on some predestined queue, my daughter had just one last question for me. Not knowing what she was about to ask, though, I sat back down with my daughter.

"Daddy, will you help me paint my toes right now?"

And with that question, as my daughter stared lovingly and expectantly into my eyes, hoping that I would say "yes," my heart instantly and completely melted, burst, and exploded in joy, happiness, and love all at the same time!!!

Wonderfull story Anne ! What a grand opportunity to bond with your little girl - I know that she will be raised with an open mind just like her girl-tom daddy............Debra

Wow! What a sweet story. And I'm very impressed with how you handled it. She's clearly a lucky little lady.
    Can you zip me up?

Girl underconstruction Paulette's Avatar
    And yes, of course you painted this precious ones toes!
    Just and older girl trying to experience all that life can bring.
    "Life is not a dress rehearsal"

HiAnne

Out of the mouths of babes. You really have a special smart little angel. Your story really tugged at my heart strings, makes me wish I’d done something about having kids.

Hugs,
    Jane

You're a very lucky, wealthy person, Anne. Nothing can replace a parent-child relationship, and moments like those are priceless.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne2345 View Post
    Instantly, my heart swelled with pride over the comments my daughter had made. Admittedly, I also felt a certain amount of relief. But with this door open, I took the opportunity to explain to her that some people are different. I explained to her that there is no right or wrong way to dress, and that there is no right and wrong way to be. There are many, many people out in the world, and we are all different in some form or another. I further explained to her that we should celebrate and honor these differences, and not make fun of others over those differences, whatever those differences may be. As long as we are not hurting others, it's ok to be who we want to be. Everyone is beautiful, the world is amazing and full of diversity, and we should love and respect all.

"Daddy, will you help me paint my toes right now?"

And with that question, as my daughter stared lovingly and expectantly into my eyes, hoping that I would say "yes," my heart instantly and completely melted, burst, and exploded in joy, happiness, and love all at the same time!!!

- Wouldn't it be boring if all the worlds birds were eagles

- Of Course Sweetheart......What color do you want them..

Thera

Awe! I also have a daughter about the same age (8) and we have had much the same conversation. Good for you,because there just aren't enough moments like this in life. Cherish them and hold them dear because all to soon your little princess is gonna be all grown up.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Such a wonderful story I would be proud of her too.You taught her well.

Great story. Children really are very inquisitive. I think its great that you are teaching her to embrace differences. There are so many out there that are scared of them. I loved this story. You truly are a great girl-tom father!

I'm curious though... she started off by calling you a Girl-Tom. Instead of a Tom-Girl. Was that on purpose? Did she say it that way because it is the opposite of Tom-Girl. If so that is a great sign of intellect. Being able to sense that. Even if it was a freudian (No idea if that's spelled right) slip, that is still impressive.
    Last edited by Amy R Lynn; 08-03-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Had to add my curious thought!
    "Oh my God, I realized, it's not that we're screwed up; it's just that we've been trained to thnk so."
    ~Rick Novic, Alice in Genderland

Anne you and your daughter brought a smile to my face. Thanks for a wonderful story. They grow up so fast so enjoy these moments.

That is so nice to read Anne!! I was taught the exact opposite while I was growing up. Just to hate everyone different. I have tried to remove most of it from myself, but some is so deep within me, it is just a part of myself I have to deal with. Reading the wonderfull time you had with your daughter, is one of the reasons I enjoy this site so much. Thanks so much for sharing that with us.

You are teaching her how to say no when others may try to steal her individuality by insisting she conforms to be included.

The pressure to look a certain way and the bulimia,anorexia or following every mindless trend to look "cool" that go with it.

The drinking and drugs to escape the unease of feeling formless and without purpose because they were kept from or not shown how to have a relationship with
    themselves because the parents were only concerned with how the childs behavior
    reflects on them.

One of the greatests dangers when we are young is what we do to be included, to be liked and accepted because we are only alive when with others.

Freedom from rigid gender roles frees the individual so they may develop strong boundaries to protect themselves with. They are already clearly defined in their own mind and do not need to seek definition through the group they join.

They participate but are not subservient and will seek out others who will honor and allow for their individuality.

By being an individual you give her permission to be one and free her from self imposed slavery later in life, she will find herself by the adventure of you finding yourself and than she will be able to respect others without losing respect for herself.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    LOVE .

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

your story should be put in a text book on how to do things right. congrats

Nothing wrong with Paving that road sissta ,,, Raise um right an teach um young,,, That way they will be wiser than we were ,,, Im the same way,,, OPEN MIND !!
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

How utterly sweet! Wonderful that she has been brought up to be so open-minded. So did she like her toenails?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Wonderful Anne, just wonderful!!!!

THIS is the kind of story that lets me know that the world is changing for the better, that someday trans is just gonna be another thing - no big deal. My youngest got back from summer camp and was explaining to me how one of her friends had four moms. After scratching my head to understand what she was talking about (2 moms + 2 steps) we talked about it. Can you imagine what this revelation would have meant when most of us were kids? No teasing at all! Actually, what they really wanted know was what she called each of them!

The times are changing and the children are going to make that change happen.
    Last edited by Debglam; 08-03-2012 at 03:42 PM.
    Debby

Anne, what a precious special child you have. You have obviously done a terrific job in raising her so far. You laid a good foundation and that will pay dividends for the rest of her life.
    Great job

Anne, just beautiiful just beautiful! If I never read a beautiful story again I can say it was an honor to read yours! You are to be commended on bringing up your daughter in such a wonderful way! Thank you for the bright spot in my day! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

That's awesome I hope when/if my children ask me questions things go that well. Good stuff!

Hillary

Banned Read only
    Wonderful story Anne. My daughter just turned 31 last week. I was not allowed to see my children for 18 years due to a court order. I am a crazy perverted transsexual, you know. I wish I could have had these type of conversations with her. It really doesn't matter though. Last week when we got together to celebrate her birthday, she hugged me and said daddy, I mean err uhh, oh hell I love you. A parents relationship eith their child is special no matter when it happens.
    Last edited by Jorja; 08-03-2012 at 06:28 PM.

That's a wonderful story. I foresee some interesting father-daughter times in your future! I really wish that I could have been that open with my daughters. It might have made us closer.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Silver Member
    Best story I've read in a while. Very evocative of both the relationship and the utter purity of youth. You've done a good job!
    Lea

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    That's a wonderful story. I foresee some interesting father-daughter times in your future! I really wish that I could have been that open with my daughters. It might have made us closer.
    Dear Eryn
    My heart aches for you,hopefully your daughters have erased the Bad memories and have cherished the good ones.

Thera