Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    A cross-dresser wear cloths of the other sex while a transvestite wears the clothing for sexual pleasure
    I looked it up in dictionary a few times
    Did you look it up several times in different dictionaries to obtain a more balanced definition? Or as your post seems to imply, you looked in the same dictionary several times just to be sure you read it right?

Dictionary definitions are just the compilers' understanding of a word.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

Okay now I'm even more confused all wanted to know was was the difference between a cross dresser and a transvestite I seem to have caused a bit of an argument which was not what I was after doing as for me I call myself a cross dresser as I wear male and female clothing. I do not mean to cause offence with my next comment but being in the second half of my 50s I was on understanding that transvestites were probably gay as well as wearing women's clothing it is obviously ( NOT ) the case this is why I tried to find out what the differences as I am quite clearly not gay. So please except my apologies if this has offended anyone as I did not mean to do so. Owing to my dyslexia I have had problems posting anywhere the new program allows me to talk while the computer does the work so I would like to keep posting on here. Once again my apologies if I upset anyone.

I don't think you caused offence. It is just a point of major contention as to what we call ourselves. There as many different views and opinions as there are reasons for doing what we do. So there is no simple answer or any right/wrong answer either.

Stereotypes play a part in what we think and feel and perhaps that is why it raised such a heated discussion.

You aren't the first person to ask this and raise the topic and trust me, you won't be the last either.

"I" am a CDer. I look nothing like a Television Set.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

You should take this up with a professional. GG's are professional girls they know more about and looking like a girl than I do. I am really just an amature girl. I take all my pointers from the professionals. Although some times when I try my hand I can look fairly good. Crossdressing really doesn't do good explaining us, cause we have to dress in something. Clothes have been found to be the best things to put on. Since I am trying to look like and be like a girl, I take my cues from them. Trans vestite and cross dresser are just terms to explain doing this going to the other side of the street. But that is called jaywalking if you do it right in the middle. GG's are good at this, it will take awhile for me to get like them they have a lot of advantages over me. Hips and rear, although some do have fake boobs most do not but still. Well you get the picture.

Tess
    [COLOR="blue"]Contessa Marie D

I'm TG. A fem-male so I look male sometimes.

Dressing is necessary, the type of clothes you wear not so much.

This above all to thy own self be true!

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Iv'e always said that a CD is simply someone who does not want to be called a TV because they are convinced that being called CD has more class.

Just remember what shakespeare said about that rose.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 08-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.

TV is what you watch the CD on after you stick it ino a CD player

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Cd seems to be the term of the day so go with it.

Trans=cross. Vestite=dress or clothing. Same difference as patella=knee cap. Billie Jean

Not really into 'labels' I am who I am, but IF for what ever reason I had to make a choice, then TG works for me..............
    Samantha xx

One day I will think of something profound to write here!!!!!!!!!!

A Transvestite is a person who wears clothing usually associated with the other gender.
    A Crossdresser is a person who wears clothing usually associated with the other gender.

I hope this helps to end the confusion.

Linguistically, the words "crossdresser" and "transvestite" literally mean the same thing. The first comes from Germanic and Anglo-Saxon roots, and the second from Latin.

However, there are several such pairs of words in our language which come from different linguistic traditions and objectively, superficially, mean the same thing, but have very different connotations when used in ordinary speech.

Consider, for example, the following: "Exotic" versus "Outlandish."

Which would you rather be called?

- Diane
    Last edited by Diane Smith; 08-06-2012 at 04:58 PM.

I always thought a c.d. was a person that liked to dress in clothes of opposite sex. A tv is a thing that you plug into the wall by the electrical cord and watch movies and programs. Smile...

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy two
    What's the difference between a CD and TV I always thought a CD if someone wanted to dress part-time and TV most of the time and I have now been told that we are all TVs. If that is the case why do we call ourselves cross-dressers.
    [SIZE="2"]IMHO, a TV (transvestite) is a serious MtF CD (crossdresser). Don’t let anyone tell you antiquated ideas about the word transvestite – many crossdressers are transvestites, but they won’t admit it. I am happy to be a transvestite...
    [/SIZE]