Thread: If you are a CDing Vet...

Banned Read only

If you are a CDing Vet...

who long ago fled the closet...

As you have become ever more comfortable leaving the house "dressed", do you now spend more or less TIME getting ready? Have you perfected your dressing/makeup skills or maybe just had few or no bad experiences out in the RW, so you now spend less time getting "ready"?

What's a typical time line for you and how does it compare to leaving the house dressed as a guy?

IS confidence a key ingredient and can confidence only come with experience?

Not quite a vet, I sometimes take less care than I should.
    I always go for passing and looking presentable.
    Two hours when I first tried, usually about an hour now.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Well, I wouldn't describe myself as a "vet" but sure, I do take less time to get ready than I used to. I haven't exactly "perfected my skills" more a case of I have a fixed routine that I always do, and that I can repeat quite well in a short-ish amount of time and yes, for me I have had no bad experiences out in the RW.

A typical time line for me from start to finish is about 1 hour. I can do it in 30 minutes but that's a kind of "splash and dash" and so if I am going out in the mainstream public rather that just going over to a friends house, then I always want to give myself at least 45 minutes. Obviously,leaving the house dressed as a guy is way less, like 15 or 20 minutes.

Finally, I do think confidence is a key ingredient but you do need practical skills to be able to apply makeup fast and it look good (enough). As they say ... practice makes perfect!
    Last edited by Rachel Morley; 08-18-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

When I started I would do the whole makeup in 30 minutes. That did not include anything but makeup.

Now from start to finish is about 90 minutes. That includes putting in the contacts, shaving (face and legs), washing my real hair and taking a bath. Applying the makeup, putting on the foundation garments I will wear, choosing an outfit, choosing another outfit, choosing a third outfit, going back to the original because I am tired of choosing outfits. Putting on the necklace ( I learned it is easier before you put on the wig) and earrings. Putting on the wig, brushing it out, taking it off and telling it how bad it is, putting on another wig, taking it off, putting on another wig, usually the old stand by. Perfume, shoes.

Depending on the day I will put on the nails but if I use my own then the polish is done an hour before the above.

This is all for "out on the town" look. If it were a daily wear thing cut that to 30 minutes.

I still take my time getting ready since I don't want to look like I used a paint roller, so I know I could do it quicker if need be. Yes practice helps. But I am in a rut so the result is always the same. As a guy, about 20 minutes for shower, shave, dressing.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    As a man who has been a CD for over 60 years, I guess I do qualify as a "vet!" Actually in more ways than one, since I served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War.

But with my wife having died 7 years ago the time I spend getting dressed enfemme has changed. She always did my makeup and fixed my wig so that I really looked like Stephanie. Now that she is gone, I stlll go out dressed entirely feminine but wear no make up and no wig. In other words, I am a guy dressed enfemme. So my dressing takes me maybe 20 minutes or less, about the same time as dressing in drab!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    As a man who has been a CD for over 60 years, I guess I do qualify as a "vet!" Actually in more ways than one, since I served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War.

But with my wife having died 7 years ago the time I spend getting dressed enfemme has changed. She always did my makeup and fixed my wig so that I really looked like Stephanie. Now that she is gone, I stlll go out dressed entirely feminine but wear no make up and no wig. In other words, I am a guy dressed enfemme. So my dressing takes me maybe 20 minutes or less, about the same time as dressing in drab!!
    Same here. I don't wear makeup, just women's clothes as a man. I have been going out in skirts for more than 10 years now. It takes me a bit longer to dress than in drab, since I need to coordinate everything, think of the colors, and select the matching jewelry. It probably takes me about 20 minutes.
    Have fun now, life is too short to wait,
    RedBaron
    http://www.facebook.com/guenther.eichhorn

Gold Member
    Well, I was in the Army and I get out, so I guess I am a CDing Vet.

It varies a little. If I get home from work and just need to change, it can be 30-45 minutes. If it is first thing in the morning, add shower and drying my hair. Then there is the variable of what I want to do with my hair. If I am in a hurry, it may be straighten it and maybe add a little curl. If not, I may do a lot more and try something different to learn from. So it can be up to 2 hours. But yes, it definitely gets faster as you get used to it up to a point.

Then you can also add time if I am going out with my wife and daughter. My daughter will be texting me and my wife will want to work together to figure out her outfit and hair style.

It all depends on where I am going ? Run to the store ,,Long enough to get dressed ,,Shopping in public,, About an hour or so ,, Man mode 10 min,,, Outta here !!
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Platinum Member
    I begin every day by getting made up and dressed, whether I'm going out or not. I think I'm reasonably good at making myself presentable. Certainly, my confidence has grown with experience.

About an hour if I'm going out...30 minutes if I'm staying in....and 15 minutes going out drab. Confidence in my opinion comes with experience, you can read other peoples experiences as a guide, but you have to do it yourself.

I don't know about veteran, or not, but I go out in wig, breast forms, makeup, earrings, rings and other accessories, but wearing androgynous/unisex street clothes. On my feet I might have doc martens boots, sneakers or sandals, and my clothing would be something like jeans or cargo shorts, a purse, and a clingy tee with some sort of femme sweater or pullover layered. That usually takes me at least half an hour longer than going in Drab and wearing similar type clothing, especially if I need to pluck or shave hirsute parts of my body.

If I'm going out to a restaurant or club, then the routine Lorileah described is pretty much what I do, and I spend about 90 minutes on it also.