Thread: Car Boot Sales: Buying women’s clothes with my wife.

Thumbs up Car Boot Sales: Buying women’s clothes with my wife.

There comes a time when you realise that some people have a heart of gold and those people are the ones to treasure the most. My wife once again reminded me today why she is so special.

Today we decided to go to a local car boot sale. For those who live outside the UK and this phenomenal thing that so many of us go to each week I will explain: People will load up their cars/vans/trailers with stuff they want to get rid off. They take it to a car boot sale and basically sell it out of their cars. You pay a small feel for your pitch (my local one charges £7-10 depending on the size of your vehicle), you line up in rows and your pitch is roughly the size of the vehicle. Most people put out fold up tables to display their items on and basically whatever money you make is yours. You sell the items at whatever price you think is right. People then come in to look around and buy anything they want. Some (like my wife) will sometimes haggle prices which is part of the fun.

Today as we where getting ready, my wife turned to me and said simply: Let me know if you see anything you want or if there is something you want to look at. Her reference was very clear, she was talking about women’s clothes. Now not knowing how far I could push this I had to be a little careful. My wife does not like me wearing female tops outside of the house – jeans, socks, trainers are all fine as they are easily ignored, but a woman’s top is like having a sign around your next saying “This person is wearing women’s clothes” – so I had to go in a male t-shirt which is fine with me on these occasions.

We have a set routine for things. My wife carries her handbag and sometimes brings a small bag in case sellers don’t have any carrier bags with them to put the items bought into. I will carry a larger bag with a couple of thin cloth shopping bags, some water (and a fizzy drink) and a couple of snacks. We can be at a car boot sale for 1-4 hours depending on the amount of sellers there. But this time I decided to push things a little more. I put all the stuff into a large women’s beige “shopper” style shoulder bag. This particular bag has poppers on the top edges which attach under the bag and make it look more like a regular handbag. There is no disguising it is a woman’s bag in any way, but as I was with my wife I thought I would get away bringing it. My wife did not raise any issues so off we went.

It was nice to actually be able to look at women’s clothes there, although I got a couple of odd looks – with my wife in tow and a few smart words about there being nothing her size or “hang on a second I want to see if this would fit you” my looking was deflected. Now I did not end up getting much, just two pairs of jeans. One blue, one white (I LOVE white jeans btw!). There where a couple of tops there I liked, but nothing special. And in fairness I am not sure if my wife would have approved had I asked about them. Maybe next time I will try. I also helped find her a few items and also some bits for my daughter who was with us as well. So again, my reasons for looking at women’s clothes where justified - even if there where ulterior motives behind it all.

The only possible issue today came via a change encounter. While walking around looking at everything my daughter sees a pair of shoes and stops to look at them. Next thing we get is a “Hello xxx” from the seller and there is my Aunt (one of my Dad’s sisters) and her (technically he is her friend, as she is still married but for all intense purposes he may as well be her husband as they never leave each others side. Sad really as my uncle has apparently been ousted from everything bar the home where this other guy also now lives). Anyhow, I look up and speak – being polite as I really detest 95% of my Aunts/Uncles/Cousins and have nothing to do with them for reasons I won’t explain. Then after about a minute I realise I am have a woman’s handbag on show over my shoulder and my wife is standing opposite me clearly with her own bag on her shoulder. S**t I think, I cannot imagine for a moment my aunt has not noticed. She doesn’t say anything and as the shoes my daughter was looking at turn out to be too small we say goodbye and walk on. My mind all the time thinking “Crap, what if she noticed the bag – will she say anything to the others?”. The one good thing I have is the one aunt I like and get on with – who was married to my Dad’s brother before he passed away some years ago. She has some contact with the others and I have asked her to listen out in case any comments about me come her way – I have not said what they will be about but only that she will know instantly if she hears them. After all a comment of ”I met Richard at a car boot sale and I am sure he had a handbag over his shoulder and it was not Rachel’s as she had her own…” will kinda click in her head . Now I am not amazingly fussed if anything is said as this is the first time I have spoken to any of the family I dislike in about a year so I see them only on chance encounters and even then, I keep it as brief as possible as I don’t like them enough to waste my time talking to them. But all the same, I want to know if anything is said just in case as it may be something I will then need to address sometime later on.

Chances are if next weekend is good we will go to another sale - especially with Monday being a bank holiday (national holiday) in the UK, as another local sale runs on the Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday those days. I will speak to my wife in advance and see if she has issues with me looking for tops just to make sure. The last thing I want to do is put her in a position she is not happy. She gave me a chance to look and buy things with her permission, I am not going to overstep the mark or slap her round the face doing things she is not happy with.

There are days you really appreciate those who love you. Once again my wife has proven just how special she is.

Very cool, Klaire!

You have a wonderful wife! Take it easy and let her adjust and understand. That can result in an amazing relationship!

Enjoy!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaire Larnia View Post
    There comes a time when you realise that some people have a heart of gold and those people are the ones to treasure the most. My wife once again reminded me today why she is so special......Chances are if next weekend is good we will go to another sale - especially with Monday being a bank holiday (national holiday) in the UK, as another local sale runs on the Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday those days.
    Hi Klaire,

As I remember your earlier post, it started with an ASDA top, so things appear to be progressing in sure steps and at your wife's pace. Not thought of doing a car boot for clothes, might just give it a go. Happy days indeed for you though, and long may it last.

Whatever the reasons, I don't see or have much interaction with my brothers and sister these days. My family starts with my own genetic unit, my wife and sons. I think of the others historically and that's it.

Rebecca x
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Klaire, we have a similar sort of event in the US, called either a "swap meet" or a "flea market" depending upon where you are. They can be a lot of fun to shop at, but also bear the danger of overloading your dwelling with possessions until you load them all up and haul them to the boot sale to unload!

Give your wife a big hug, she's a gem!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]