Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does the doctor need to know?

Nope, the doctor does not need to know unless you're 24/7 or on hormones. I always go to mine in guy mode and have not said a word. However his brother is a physical therapist, I met him once and he is definitely gay. So I should be good to go once (if) it's necessary to tell him. The one thing that concerns me is that my doctor has 3 or 4 girls working in his office that have access to my file and that does bother me.

if you tell your doctor, it becomes part of your medical record. As such it gets reviewed by your insurance company and by any other entity that may have an interest in your health care. Just keep it in mind.

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. I have told both of my physicians that I CD and have had no problems. A couple of reasons. One, I have used herbals and include them in the list of medicines that I take, and I want to know about any potential problems. They should certainly know about that. Two, I don't own any male underwear and usually wear a bra -- neither my doctors nor nurses have had a a problem with that. (One funny bit: the last time I had a chest X-ray I asked the male tech if I should remove my bra. He looked at me for a moment, then said, "Ummm, yes if you would.") Interesting that the last time I went to my female GP, she gave me a breast exam .

I haven't yet gone to the doctor dressed, but I'd love to do that sometime. (Claire does go to her female dentist.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

I told my Dr. on my first visit. I told her because I feel the cross dressing has an impact on my mental health. She has been wonderfull about. We discuss it every year. She has helped me get in to a therapist and to realize that there is nothing wrong with crossdressing. I am transgendered and deal with it by crossdressing. She has helped me come to accept myself. She has seen me shaved and in panties and doesn't care. Her job is my physical health. In the last 6 months I have gotten totally off anti depressants and feel great. Most people simply don't care what others wear. It's none of their business anyway. My Dr. is part of a large clinic and I have an appointment in about 10 days to check bloodwork. I am planning to go dressed. The parking staff will see me, the billing department, several receptionists and nurses will too. You know what? I DON'T CARE! I have the right to be me.

Diana

My last physical was for my current job, as far as physical go I know some physicians that don't even bother having you take your shirt off and some that dont do hands on and just ask questions, my last Was a full physical and I shave my whole body so at first I felt conscious about it but the Doctor was such a professional that I was pretty much at ease, I have to agree with some of the people here, unless you are serious about transitioning I would not bother

Telling our doctor depends on, amongst other things, your comfort level and the extent of your transgenderism. If your brain developed with only a touch of TG, and you only CD litely, then you may not need to tell. That is providing you do not need help with anxiety, depression, or any other mental or physical issues due to and because of being TG. So it is up to the individual of course, to seek treatment if needed.

IMO and somewhat speculative...

We may have a medical issue which is possibly similar to brain cross-wiring like turrets, chronic depression, or other non-physical disorders. Our organs didn't get transposed, so we don't have visual proof of our gender neurological crossing. Instead, we are some level of MtF, FtM, and I suppose there are IS who are in the TG contingency as well.

If our degree of being transgender manifests itself with enough disphoria to warrant disclosure, then the AMA is not silent. Small excerpt is a quote from AMA, bold highlighting is from me:

"GID is recognized as a serious medical condition in both the International Classification of Diseases-10 (ICD-10) and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), published by the American Psychiatric Association.i It is characterized by a persistent and often intense discomfort with one’s assigned sex and with one’s primary and secondary sex characteristics. This conflict can create intense emotional pain and suffering that is intractable, severe, and often incapacitating.ii If left medically untreated, this condition can result in dysfunction, debilitating depression and, for some people, suicidality and death."

Are we neurological females? (Or neurological males for FTM?)

The resolutions are available at the links below, in Microsoft Word format.

Resolution 114: Removing Barriers to Care for Transgender Patients
    Resolution 115: Removing Insurance Barriers to Care for Transgender Patients
    Resolution 122: Removing Financial Barriers to Care for Transgender Patients

My objection is in thinking I'm not well and this is a disease or disorder. Insurance, however, needs the classification.

I've told my doctor.
    Last edited by TeresaL; 08-21-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Clarification and reference

Not unless something about it imminently affects your health.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Cook View Post
    They should certainly know about that. Two, I don't own any male underwear and usually wear a bra -- neither my doctors nor nurses have had a problem with that.
    So, you obviously want the Dr. to know or you wouldn't choose to wear female underwear during your Dr. visit. That's your choice if you want to broadcast it, but the Dr. most definitely doesn't need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Voulez-Vous View Post
    So, you obviously want the Dr. to know or you wouldn't choose to wear female underwear during your Dr. visit. That's your choice if you want to broadcast it, but the Dr. most definitely doesn't need to know.
    That makes sense buy why change what you normally wear just to visit the doctor. Just wear what whatever kind of underwear that you normally wear.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie001 View Post
    That makes sense buy why change what you normally wear just to visit the doctor. Just wear what whatever kind of underwear that you normally wear.
    I didn't say to not wear it. But it's pretty obvious what the deal is if a guy goes to a Dr. wearing a bra and panties.
    And you really think the people in the Dr's office won't talk about it? Yeah, right.

Sure they will talk about it but so what. Why can't we wear what we like? The world will not end.

Diana

I told my doctor, just in case something happened, so that he would not be supprised, so I supprised him early. I am just a CD'er so I don't have any other types of doctors.

Platinum Member
    Hi FT. , Most Doctors have seen it all so nothing suprizes them anymore.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

My gp and my urologist both know and have seen me dressed it's no big deal. I have said it before vv you seem very negative about things i suspect if you won the lottery you would find something negative about that also. I'm sorry just my opinion.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audreyinalbany View Post
    if you tell your doctor, it becomes part of your medical record. As such it gets reviewed by your insurance company and by any other entity that may have an interest in your health care. Just keep it in mind.
    Both my Internist and my Cardiologist know that I am a Crossdresser. Information like that will NOT become a part of your Medical record unless you want it to!! Good Doctors don't put everything in the written records! And NO entity other than your Doctor has an interest in your medical records without your approval!! Even though they may be involved in your health care. That is covered by law, at least in the United States!!

I worked as a Health Insurance agent for many years before I retired, and my insurance is covered by the last company that I represented!! But they don't know a lot about me, because they have no need to know!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    And NO entity other than your Doctor has an interest in your medical records without your approval!! Even though they may be involved in your health care. That is covered by law, at least in the United States!!
    That's not entirely true. The big Federal law (HIPAA) allows disclosure of health records, without notification or gaining specific permission, as needed for treatment, billing, and healthcare operations (i.e. QA) in addition to other instances as required by law (reportable diseases, search warrants, Tarasoff warnings if you threaten someone, etc). Of course this is all predicated on someone caring outside of a medical/mental health concern anyways (i.e. moral judgement). Of course I also doubt that if you broach the topic of cross dressing that it would actually find it's way into the chart to begin with unless it's too the point that your physician is recommending therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Cook View Post
    I'm not sure why this is such a big deal.
    Well, in reading some of the other replies to this -- company medical groups, info that might get out -- I responded too quickly. I should have thought about this more. So to each her own ....

Quote Originally Posted by Voulez-Vous View Post
    The real point is about any meds / self-meds that I take. And sure the staff will talk .. I'm glad to enlighten them!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

I once told a male doctor at my medical practice. He was very supportive, and agreed to help me find a support group in my local area if he could. He couldn't find any because there aren't any near me, at least there aren't any that are easy to find, but that's another story.