Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neither male nor female - Intergender

Just trying be who I am. Byllie's Avatar
    Hmm, it would seem I've stirred up a final kettle of ... earthworms? <grin>

Folks, I do not plan on leaving this site. I find the camaraderie well appreciated. And, for now, I will pull back my views ... a tad. ;-D
    Life comes in all colors ... so please be kind to all you meet.

Sorry Byllie,

Maybe I got a little carried away.

I don't agree though that Crossdressing is an illogical term. (maybr I misunderstood) However, going by the "rules" or what is generally accepted as normal... Males shop in the men's section or men's stores. Whereas, females shop in their corresponding sections of which there are many more divisions, ie ladies, women, plus, petite, casual, active, etc. The "rules" aren't equal though there are a large number of female fasions that outwardly appear male but they are purposely shaped for the female form. (ah well, I won't get into that discussion about geese and ganders)

A male wearing panties, a camisole or nylon stockings IS crossdressing because these are not typically male items. Whether we under dress or go fully dressed, degrees are not really relevent to the societal norms.
    I feel personally the clothes that I or anyone else chooses to wear is their business.

BTW, in the USA it is illegal to force someone to enter M or F on a form.
    Speaking as a human resource manager, asking demographic information is not illegal. It becomes illegal when that information is used to discriminate illegally. For example, a college housing form must ask gender. They can't or won't put males and females together in the same room or maybe even the same floor in the case of communal showers. (dammit! )

Quote Originally Posted by Annette Todd View Post
    Speaking as a human resource manager, asking demographic information is not illegal. It becomes illegal when that information is used to discriminate illegally. For example, a college housing form must ask gender. They can't or won't put males and females together in the same room or maybe even the same floor in the case of communal showers. (dammit! )
    Annette, do they really want to know a student's gender? Or do they want to know the student's sex? My son brought home a student information form, and they asked for gender. I also see gender used instead of sex (is that a dirty word or something?) on many TV news reports.
    There are many here who are clearly male (sex), but self-identify as female (gender). How would such a person be placed in college housing? According to gender, or sex?

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    How would such a person be placed in college housing? According to gender, or sex?
    Symantics! I guess the answer to your question is sex. I consider them interchangeable. However, I see that there is are those that define the words differently and you will see both used to represent the same thing. There are those who consider the word gender as a more politically correct way of asking sex. My answer to sex is not m or f but YES! I personally don't identify as female (I don't have the plumbing for that). I am male but I consider (identify) as being more feminine in outlook and temperament. I also wish to appear more feminine in body, dress and carriage.
    Last edited by Annette Todd; 08-29-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: more text