Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prime Time

Wink Prime Time

Through all my lurking years here (which ended just last month), I've had a story and a question I've wanted to share. So here it goes now as my first-ever thread...

I'll start with the question: Do any of you have fond memories of being inspired or motivated or shaped in your past by the lovely women of television? (…no movies; that's a whole other topic!)

Here's the story that raises the question:

When I was little--6 or maybe 7 years old--I used to play with my two younger sisters. One of the things we used to do for fun was pretend we were characters from TV shows we watched: Get Smart, Land of the Giants, Star Trek, and Batman were favorites.

I still distinctly remember playing Lost in Space for the first time. We were deciding who would play what character. I was the oldest, so I had more sway over the rules, and I had chosen to be Judy Robinson, the older daughter on the show. Judy and her sister, Penny, wore these beautiful 60's-inspired minidresses, matching tights, and gogo boots as their "uniform" on the show.

I remember that even at that young age, I was fascinated by their outfits and Judy's beautiful hair. To take on the role of Judy, I put on a nylon nightie of my mom's, which was the closest approximation I had at hand. I knew Mom also had a pair of tall winter boots that would do just fine to complete the outfit, so I headed out through the kitchen to get the boots …and that's when my mother's attention was drawn.

She asked what we were up to. When we explained, she very gently instructed that I should be playing one of the men from the show. "Why don't you be Professor Robinson, or the major, and one of the girls can be Judy." This suited my sisters fine because one of them had been stuck with playing the mom, and that wasn't her first choice. So they became Judy and Penny, and I obediently became Major West …whose outfit wasn't anywhere near as interesting.

And so it went. I never pushed that envelope again, so from that point on, I was Captain Kirk instead of Yeoman Rand; I was Batman instead of Batgirl (although no one had a problem with my youngest sister being Robin ...except my youngest sister, and who could blame her?); I was Steve Burton instead of Valerie Scott; I.Q. instead of Joy; Major Nelson instead of Jeannie. Those of you of the right age or with sufficient trivia knowledge will know those references.

I've thought a lot over the years about the influence that those shows may have had on me, and/or about how those female roles resonated with me (depending on whether you favor nature over nurture or vice versa): all the short hemlines, form-fitting clothes, and snazzy boots. My favorite outfits now still revolve around those looks.

On YouTube the other day, I ran into some clips of Yvonne Craig as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl on the old Adam West Batman show, and I had to laugh. As evil looms in Gotham City, Barbara heads into the bedroom of her apartment, playfully instructing her parrot Charlie that he is to tell no one what he is about to see. She presses a button under her vanity, and the wall swings around. There, hidden on the other side, is another vanity table, but this one has a wig form with a red wig on it, a pair of purple booties, and a purple latex costume hanging alongside.

I hadn't seen the scene for decades, but it flooded back from my memory immediately. I remember thinking how cool it was that she had this secret place to change into her other identity. I laughed quietly to myself, thinking about the irony: myself at age 6 wanting to be this character who is playing out a ritual that would eventually become a staple in my own life: accessing the hidden place where the costume of my alter ego remains hidden away, complete with wig and boots, so that in times of need, I can transform.

Now I can be whatever female character I want to be, and I only play the leading man when I have to. ;-)

So, again, I'm curious: Do any of you have fond memories of being inspired or motivated or shaped by the lovely women of television?
    Last edited by Silmaril; 08-26-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silmaril View Post
    Now I can be whatever female character I want to be, and I only play the leading man when I have to. ;-)
    That's the best part of growing up!

I was always jealous of a great many of the women on television, both in the era you mention and in the one before that as well. And I may have tried to emulate some of them, but I don't think that they were the direct triggers for crossdressing since my first memory of crossdressing was at about age 2-1/2 and I think that was before we had a television set. I think we got our first television when I was around 5 to 7 years old.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

I was never encouraged by television or inspired by the women I saw on it.
    I felt "different" from a very early age and needed no encouragement. I only ever needed acceptance.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Just gotta love those Lost In Space uniforms the women wore. Talk about attire which was inappropriate for time, place, event and weather...not to mention basic life-sustaining (or ending) atmospheric conditions!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Aspiring Member
    Like Persephone, I began crossdressing long before there was a Television set in the house, but unlike her I was about 12 years old at the time. I was influenced more by my fascination with how the girls at school were going through their pubescent change into womanhood. I began secretly thumbing through the pages of the department store catalogues to see the the pictures of the models wearing all that gorgeous lingerie. I was inspired by Eaton's and Simpson's, those long gone Canadian department stores.

Veronica

Aspiring Member
    OMG! I still Dream of Jeanie! Although there was no real character to copy, I loved American Bandstand and used to close my eyes and picture myself dancing in any one of those cute outfits that the girls were wearing. How about the "Sock it to me" girls on Laugh In? Goldie Hawn was so HOT in short shorts and GoGo boots!

When I was 20 My "friends" dressed me up as Jeannie,for a costume party.
    It was a bit disconcerting as the guys would hold me around my bare waist and give me intimate cuddles whilst getting photographed with me.
    I also learn't how to combat groping..
    It was a fun night though.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I was definitely 'shaped' by the last episode of original Star Trek, Turnabout Intruder, where Kirk is forcibly body-swapped with his old enemy Dr Janice Lester. I saw it when I was 11, and I spent years hoping the volume of the novelisations that contained that ep would appear in the local library, and when it did, I was half afraid to take it out in case they somehow knew why I wanted it.

In one sense it was a negative thing because it led me off for a long time down a blind alley into 'forced fem' fetish stuff. But it had a positive effect too - it gave me 'permission' to start thinking about what changing genders might be like, and what it might mean to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pexetta View Post
    I was definitely 'shaped' by the last episode of original Star Trek, Turnabout Intruder, where Kirk is forcibly body-swapped with his old enemy Dr Janice Lester.
    That episode really grabbed my imagination as well, although more so when I saw it years later in reruns. I remember thinking Kirk was crazy for trying to get his body back. If it were me, I'd have found Dr. Lester (in the captain's body) and said, "I'll tell you what: I'll keep quiet if you do, and we can just go about our new lives ...OK? Oh, and thanks. Now, can you tell me where I can get one of those uniforms the female crew members wear?"

EMMA PEALE - " THE Avengers" Inspiration for love of leather and my lady-look. It also stirred an appreciation for proper English and accents.

Xena: Warrior Princess was probably my biggest influence, although I started right before the show hit the air.

Platinum Member
    Every beautiful woman that I've ever seen has been an insperation.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Probably the single most admired for her so called uniform, and they were even though they were different every day because of her position was, Vana White.

How about Mary Ann and Ginger from Gilligan's Island?

We must have been born at the same time! Batgirl, Emma Peale, Ginger Grant, Agent 99, and "That Girl" ( Marlo Thomas ) were a constant source of inspiration and served as role models for me. I had no access to any clothes or make up until I was an adult, but those women ( or the roles they played ) helped me make it through my childhood.
    It does make me wonder who younger crossdressers look to for their inspiration?

For those of you who remember Petticoat Junction, I loved the dresses the three girls, Billie Jo, Betty Jo, and Bobbi Jo, wore for each episode. Even though the show was in black and white I could imagine the colorful prints. I also loved the fullness of the skirts flowing with all their layered petticoats.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Quote Originally Posted by Jmichelle60 View Post
    How about Mary Ann and Ginger from Gilligan's Island?
    Mary Ann was cute as could be, but to this day, when I try to pose for the camera, I can see Tina Louise standing in one of those sultry, Ginger Grant poses. Along the lines of mind transfer (Pexetta's reference, above), there was an episode in which a mad scientist "saved" the castaways, bringing them to his island to perform experiments in mind transfer. By the end, the scientist's hulking assistant and Ginger had swapped bodies. I remember the scientist calling out for his assistant, Igor, who walked through the door, but in Ginger's body. "Igor, where are you?" called the scientist. "In here," said Igor, pointing to Ginger's body, then adding, "feels good."

Tell me that wasn't some kind of transgender message! I had no doubt that Igor felt *amazing*. Oh if only some mad scientist would get to work on that mind-transfer machine...
    Last edited by Silmaril; 08-27-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Around '67 or '68 there was a sitcom, "Ugliest Girl in the World", or something like that. This guy's GF dressed him up and went out in public. I thought he was the luckiest guy in the world.

Still, I wanted to be Daisy Duke.

I have to agree with earlier posts on:

Barbara Eden on I Dream Of Jeannie - her sweet, happy nature and her stunning outfits were captivating to me!

Dawn Wells as Mary Ann Summers on Gilligan's Island - her down to earth, happy, country girl personality and her common girl outfits still inspire me.

I grew up in the early '70s...Angie Dickerson from Police Woman was a BIG influence on my dressing...Sgt. Suzanne 'Pepper" Anderson. Loved her clothes...Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman...I miss those old shows.

Banned Read only
    Catherine Bach as Daisy Duke in the Dukes of Hazzard. When I started to go out in public as a teenager dressed up, I tried to dress just like her. I made the perfect pair of cutoff jeans, borrowed a tiny top from my sister, and fashioned big fakies out of stockings and bird seed. My sister even had a long dark wig very similar to her hairstyle. She was the perfect girl to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann Carpenter View Post
    Barbara Eden on I Dream Of Jeannie - her sweet, happy nature and her stunning outfits were captivating to me!
    I agree! I think a lot of people stay focused on the actual genie costume and overlook some of the incredible stuff she wore later in the series when she became his girlfriend and had to dress to meet the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by GinaD View Post
    Catherine Bach as Daisy Duke in the Dukes of Hazzard ... She was the perfect girl to me.
    I remember watching that show and wanting to be her ***so*** badly that I almost literally ached.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann Carpenter View Post

I got to meet Barbara Eden at a Women's Conference about a year ago. She is still beautiful and her wonderful nature and sense of self still shines through. She hasn't had an easy life and has told her story in her book, Jeannie Out Of The Bottle.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Quote Originally Posted by Silmaril View Post
    That episode really grabbed my imagination as well, although more so when I saw it years later in reruns. I remember thinking Kirk was crazy for trying to get his body back. If it were me, I'd have found Dr. Lester (in the captain's body) and said, "I'll tell you what: I'll keep quiet if you do, and we can just go about our new lives ...OK? Oh, and thanks. Now, can you tell me where I can get one of those uniforms the female crew members wear?"
    I found a pattern, to make the womens uniform, from Star Trek the original series. I ordered it and it arrived today. Here is a link to the pattern: http://www.roddenberry.com/star-trek...ale-skant.html
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue